Menu

Syllables

Hanging my head in shame because my 5 year old asked me a question today that I didn't know the answer to. So....

What age/stage/subject are rules on syllables typically covered? Or are they? Will it be covered in a grammar program (we're planning on using R&S)? My son asked me today where a word was supposed to be divided and I told him mommy was going to have to look that up. Ugh.

Our phonics program has touched on it, but not as in depth as I want. (um, need.) Whether or not that's coming later, I don't know.

I wondered the same thing a while back, as we were using SWR and it didn't explicitly teach it, as far as I could tell. Then we switched and got Phonics Road, and I was told it doesn't explicitly teach it by someone and it does by someone else, so I'm not exactly sure if it does or not (lol). BUT, through all that I did learn that grammar programs don't usually teach it, but spelling programs do, and that Megawords covers it, which starts at (I think) 4th grade level or so. I know AAS covers it in depth starting in level 1. I guess some people do it right away and some don't.

Phonics museum does it in the first grade program. [Not sure if I care for their explanations] AAS does a fabulous job in my very humble and in no way compensated opinion. I would imagine that Webster's Blue Back Speller would cover it somehow as well.

My $0.02:

It is very important to teach early on b/c then sounding out words syllabically [hmmm, don't know how to spell that] will help an emerging reader.

Caveat:

I am not trained or have not seriously studied how to teach reading. I have however, now taught 5 children to read and based on that experience and my own in grade school, learning about syllables early is important.

A Beka's phonics program(2nd grade, MAYBE some in 1st, I don't remember) and ETC 4. Maybe other places but this is where dd is learning it.

Oh, good. I have all the teacher's manuals so I'll just look ahead then.

Thank you all; I will definitely look into some of these other things if I get stumped.