Menu

How long does it take to make vanilla?

I just came up with the idea to make vanilla. How long does it take for it 'cook'? Looking on the internet I've seen 30 days to 3-4 months. Orginally I was thinking I'd do it for next (2011) Christmas, but now I'm wondering if it would be doable to make it for this christmas?

Anyone have any tried and true recipes or advice?

My first batch took about 2.5 months of steeping and probably could have gone a teeny bit more, but I was too impatient. :D It was pretty darn good, though.

All I did was slit two vanilla beans lengthwise and open them up a bit. Then I dropped them into a bottle of vodka (375ml) and let it sit at the back of the cabinet for a few months. Yummy!

Right now, I am testing 40% vs 50% vodka (I used 40% last time) just to see if there is a quality/ taste difference, and after one month the 40% is much darker and has a much stronger vanilla smell than the 50%. I am planning to let them sit for 3 months minimum for making a final judgment, though.

Have fun!

You could make it for this Christmas. The longer the beans sit in the alcohol though, the better it will be. You could have decent stuff if you do it right now. I've got a few bottles that have been soaking for a year that are amazing, and some others that have been soaking a couple months that are good.

I put about 6 beans, cut up, into a bottle of vodka and put in a dark place. Shake occasionally and enjoy! :001_smile:

Edited by Paintedlady

Okay, what about the vodka? Does it have to be a good brand like Grey Goose or will the store brand (or whatever a generic brand is) do?

I had actually read a few news snippets that said that Grey Goose is not that great and since I don't drink alcohol I was clueless about what to try. I asked the man at the liquor store which vodka was closest to odorless (apparently odorless = good vodka). He showed me a couple then I went with the cheapest (in my case, it was Taaka). (Embarrasingly, I will admit that I was glad Taaka was one of the ones he suggested because it has a really pretty bottle with raised flowers on it. :tongue_smilie:)

I was able to find inexpensive, organic vanilla beans at my local farmer's market, so I bought up as many as I could, but I found out later that beans can be used over and over again. I have a bottle currently going using used beans and I am interested to see how it tastes compared to fresh beans. It is definitely taking longer to steep than the bottle with fresh beans.

Okay, what about the vodka? Does it have to be a good brand like Grey Goose or will the store brand (or whatever a generic brand is) do?

I was just going to ask this. I can't remember if I was told it comes out better with really cheap vodka or really good vodka.

And how many vanilla beans do I use in a pint of vodka? (Is it a pint? The small flatter rectangle shaped bottle?)

I would try Penzey's.

I bought some beans from Penzey's and found the quality surprisingly lacking. I placed my next order from this seller on Amazon and thought the quality was terrific. I'm ordering from them again soon.

I also use the cheap vodka. I wait until they go on sale and couple it with a rebate to get the cheapest prices. This time around they went on sale for $9.99 a bottle. If you bought 6 or more they took 10% off in the store. I also had coupons for $5 off of 2 bottles, and a mail in rebate for $50 off of 8 bottles. I bought 8 and after all coupons/discount/rebates, paid around a $1 a bottle. It's worth paying attention to if you think you'd like to make vanilla to give away as gifts. hth!

Edited by Paintedlady

I was just going to ask this. I can't remember if I was told it comes out better with really cheap vodka or really good vodka.

And how many vanilla beans do I use in a pint of vodka? (Is it a pint? The small flatter rectangle shaped bottle?)

The top shelf vodkas aren't necessary. A good mid-price brand is good.

Here's a good tut :)

It already has a nice dark color and incredible aroma! Still I will refrain from using it until (Maybe) Christmas because I like to let it 'stew' for 6 months if possible. I'm almost out of last year's supply... so I may have to snitch some a bit earlier.

I buy my beans on Ebay--seller is 'vanillaproducts' and item icon is a green box with the words 'fast ship'. I like the 'free' beans I get--I order the Madagascar ones and get the Tahitian ones free--so my vanilla has the best of both worlds (flavor AND aroma). This is the second time I've ordered from this seller--I've been pleased both times--great value too!

Today I took some 'organic cane sugar' and started a batch of vanilla sugar for Christmas Gifts... it will be WONDERFUL by then--but pretty good in as little as 2 weeks. I put 3 pods (split) of each bean type in 2 pounds of sugar.

It already has a nice dark color and incredible aroma! Still I will refrain from using it until (Maybe) Christmas because I like to let it 'stew' for 6 months if possible. I'm almost out of last year's supply... so I may have to snitch some a bit earlier.

I buy my beans on Ebay--seller is 'vanillaproducts' and item icon is a green box with the words 'fast ship'. I like the 'free' beans I get--I order the Madagascar ones and get the Tahitian ones free--so my vanilla has the best of both worlds (flavor AND aroma). This is the second time I've ordered from this seller--I've been pleased both times--great value too!

Today I took some 'organic cane sugar' and started a batch of vanilla sugar for Christmas Gifts... it will be WONDERFUL by then--but pretty good in as little as 2 weeks. I put 3 pods (split) of each bean type in 2 pounds of sugar.

What do you do with vanilla sugar? I've never heard of that before.

I use organic cane sugar because it has a beautiful warm beige color...any granulated sugar would do... just split a few beans and put them in a sealed container of sugar for a few weeks...I shake every day or two. My step-mother grew up with always having a vanilla bean in her sugar canister...

I usually buy cute ceramic jars that hold about 1cup of the sugar for gifts.

Uses... I've used it as a nice topping for muffins. I like a spoonful in my tea--my sister uses it in her coffee. Last year I made banana bread and after I greased my cake pan I sprinkled on some vanilla sugar--the crust was extra tasty!

You can put it in anything that you put regular sugar in... Mine is usually pretty concentrated with vanilla--you definitely notice the flavor.

I made the big (cheap) bottle with 6-8 beans. If you start it before Thanksgiving it will be fine. I leave the split/scraped with a knife in the big bottle for myself, but place one or a half a bean in any little bottled gifts. I think they look cute with a bow and the recipient can remove it to use or keep it in there to continue the mellowing.

I love the beans in fresh made vanilla ice cream;). They're also great in homemade yogurt.:D

I purchased my beans on e-bay from an organic dealer. They will dry out if you don't use them.

Well I've decided to wait on the vanilla till next christmas 2011. I feel like I'm going to be rushed getting beans to get it started in time plus finding 'the right' bottles to put it in, plus the other biggie is if I make vanilla this year, for some people it will end up being just too many gifts to give them. ( I already have the little gifts planned out and some ordered/purchased so I can't change those.) I know that sounds strange, but it is just how it works. Hard to explain with out knowing the people and seeing my "List".

But I definately want to do it for 2011! And I dont' want to forget till late in the year next year and then again feel 'rushed' finding just the right bottles and such.

So while I'm in vanilla making mode, would it be okay to start vanilla a year early? Would that make it too strong? Does it go bad? Have shelf life? I don't want to start it now, find out it's not good next year when it's too late to make more! Plus next christmas will our last one here, near so many of the recipients, before we PCS to the next base and I'd have to mail things. Which I don't like doing in cute glass jars!

So yes I'm already planning things for Christmas 2011! More than just the vanilla even, I've got a whole second set of gifts planned 2011 already! But they are things that take time (think months!) so I'm glad I'm plannign them now!