Menu

Which DS to buy?

yes they take the same cartridges ... the xl has a larger screen ... the lite has a slimmer profile, I believe and DSi has online access...or something like that (I'm not too game system savvy myself)

Thanks. I don't think we need the online access, so I could probably save myself some $$ and go with the Lite?

For a Christmas gift. I know NOTHING about them. When I go online, I see there is a DS, DS Lite, and DS XL. What's the difference, other than the cost? Do they all use the same game cartridges?

The DS Lite has better lighting and such than the DS. They use the same cartridges *and* can use the game cartridges from the old Gameboy Advance.

The DSi has a camera, can access the internet (requires a special cartridge though), but you *can not* use the old Gameboy Advance cartridges with it. You also cannot play the DS version of Guitar Hero with it (because the controller plugs in where the gameboy cartriges plug in). I think the DSi XL is the same as the DSi, except it has a larger screen.

My kids like the DSLite because it can play GBA games. They have bought quite a few GBA games to play on the DSLite (mostly Pokemon related).

My 15yo has become the game system queen. She keeps buying more game systems because the games she is interested in playing are on systems that we don't have.

She bought the Gamecube adaptor thingy for the Wii so she could play some Pokemon game that was only made for the Gamecube. She bought a PS2 so she could play a specific Kingdom Hearts game. She bought a PS1 also because she wanted to play Final Fantasy 7 and couldn't get it to work on our PS2 (even though it's supposed to work on a PS2). She also bought a PSP so she could play another Kingdom Hearts game that was only released on that platform.

Despite all of this, she spends no more than 5-10 hours/week playing video games. The video games have actually been great for her. She now has something to talk about that other people her age are interested in. She's an Aspie and having something she can talk about with others is a big deal.

So...this is a dumb question, but how much do the dslite's cost... used vs. new... my son has been begging for one for a few years and I've been holding off, but he plays on my cell phone constantly when we're out doing errands, etc., so I'm thinking it might be worth investing in...

My kids like the DSLite because it can play GBA games. They have bought quite a few GBA games to play on the DSLite (mostly Pokemon related).

:iagree:

I won't "upgrade" the DS lite to a Dsi for this reason alone.. the DSi does not have a GBA slot.. that and the camera on the DSi isn't very good..

DH always says.. things can do 1 thing well.. 2 things not so well and so on.. so a video game console can't be both that and a good camera all at the same time :D

So...this is a dumb question, but how much do the dslite's cost... used vs. new... my son has been begging for one for a few years and I've been holding off, but he plays on my cell phone constantly when we're out doing errands, etc., so I'm thinking it might be worth investing in...

The DS Lite is $129.99 on Amazon, and that's the cheapest I've seen it. I haven't looked at used because I will probably just buy new. If anyone knows of a better price, I'd love to know about it!

For a Christmas gift. I know NOTHING about them. When I go online, I see there is a DS, DS Lite, and DS XL. What's the difference, other than the cost? Do they all use the same game cartridges?

:lol: Oh. I'm so dim and disconnected. I read the title, and didn't make the connection...assumed it was ds (as in dear son)... And even after I figured it out (and I did quickly!), I read the whole thread with that mentality...and it was quite humorous :D.

(and sorry, I can't help - obviously I don't know anything about them, either - either one on some days it would seem ;))

:lol: Oh. I'm so dim and disconnected. I read the title, and didn't make the connection...assumed it was ds (as in dear son)... And even after I figured it out (and I did quickly!), I read the whole thread with that mentality...and it was quite humorous :D.

(and sorry, I can't help - obviously I don't know anything about them, either - either one on some days it would seem ;))

:lol: You must have really wondered what sort of person I was, wanting to buy a new son! :lol: