Menu

SOTW2, Chapter Ten: The Bottom of the World

*Jessica*

We haven't read it yet but I found "Aboriginal Tales of Australia" by A.W. Reed at a thrift store a few months ago and picked it up. It's a collection of Aboriginal folklore and we'll probably read a few stories next week along with chapter 10.

ISBN 1-87633-418-5

HTH

We haven't read it yet but I found "Aboriginal Tales of Australia" by A.W. Reed at a thrift store a few months ago and picked it up. It's a collection of Aboriginal folklore and we'll probably read a few stories next week along with chapter 10.

ISBN 1-87633-418-5

HTH

Thanks!

Are you talking about us?

http://www.homeschoolingdownunder.com/booklists/living_books.html

There are links to lists at the bottom of the page. If you are looking for aboriginal tales, go out of your way for books by Percy Trezise and Dick Roughsey.

Rosie

Yes, I am. :D Thank you!

Guest cjanderin

Hi!

I'm from New Zealand :001_smile:

Here are a few ideas:

NZ Maori warriors used to perform a war dance called a haka. If you look up "haka" on youtube you'll see some great clips of it - pretty neat for the kids to watch. The ones that show up the most often will be by our national sports team performing it before a game of rugby (a little similar to American football but without the padding lol).

For some Maori singing, pictures and a great video of NZ scenery then try this one:

For food you could eat some kumara (sweet potato) and talk about what meat they would have eaten ... there are no native mammals in NZ except for bats. No chickens or turkeys either. But look up the "moa" and the "kiwi" and the "kereru". And fish and seafish.

For the Maori that lived near Rotorua (near the middle of the North Island) they cooked their food in bubbling mud pools (you can find clips of that on youtube too).

Maori myths and legends : http://history-nz.org/maori9.html

And here are some clips of schoolkids who have made movies of Maori myths and legends:

Hope that helps a little :)

Erin