Menu

Phonics problems

Print the word. Run your finger slowly under each letter while saying the sound, do a few times speeding it up until it sounds like the word and not individual sounds. (I stole this from Reading Reflex, which I used with 3 of my kids:001_smile:)

She may need a few months break to get developmentally ready to make the next step, if she can not catch on when you do the above. I would not put any pressure on her to read yet...4 is a little young.

I wouldn't worry about it. She's just not ready for it yet. Put things away, play with letter sounds as you go about your day and try again in a few months and check to see if she is ready then.

My oldest was almost 7 before she started blending words. My youngest was 5 and she just started picking up books and sounding out the words.

Good luck.:001_smile:

I wouldn't worry about it. She's just not ready for it yet. Put things away, play with letter sounds as you go about your day and try again in a few months and check to see if she is ready then.

My oldest was almost 7 before she started blending words. My youngest was 5 and she just started picking up books and sounding out the words.

Good luck.:001_smile:

:iagree: She is young. Just give her time.

I am at the same place with my 4 year old ds. I also went through this with dd a few years ago. Then one day something just clicked and she took off. Within a short few weeks she went from struggling to sound out words to reading things like "Little Bear" with expression.

Don't worry, your dd will get it :001_smile:

Guest Virginia Dawn

100 easy lessons uses the "say it fast" game. First the sounding out then the say it fast. You will probably have to show her how to do the say it fast part for a little while.

I agree with the others that you have plenty of time. It will happen before you know it.

One of mine spent - several years - sounding out ccccc aaaaaa ttttttttt over and over, seemingly never able to put them together, even when she'd figured it out twice already in the paragraph.....When she was almost 7, everything clicked, and she went from the aforementioned labored sounding out process to reading the American Girl books...

She's now in college, did very well on her SAT's, received a good scholarship, and is getting good grades.

Your daughter's young - don't stress - she'll get it eventually!!

Anne :001_smile: