Menu

I wish I ....

creekmom

-had not allowed handwriting practice to be independent when my kids were younger. I should have sat beside them to make sure they were forming the letters correctly, and I should have insisted on neat handwriting until it became a habit.

-had set clear goals from the beginning for each child every year.

-didn't have the urge to buy something new every time my kids weren't doing well in a subject area.

-didn't have so many writing programs on my shelves collecting dust.

I'm sure there are more regrets, but this is a good start. ;) Anyone else?

My biggest regret is not homeschooling my kids from the beginning. My second is handwriting. I tried afterschooling my youngest two, but when they were making mistakes all day when I wasn't around to help them, it was difficult to change their habits. Now my youngest two are twelve, and writing is an everyday struggle.

-had not allowed handwriting practice to be independent when my kids were younger. I should have sat beside them to make sure they were forming the letters correctly, and I should have insisted on neat handwriting until it became a habit.

Yes, this!

Also, I wish I had looked for more structured LA lessons earlier, instead of doing so many CM oriented things. I'm very drawn to CM methods, but my kids needed a different approach--I just kept thinking, "they'll get it eventually with a language-rich environment" instead of realizing, "they're not getting it, time for a different approach."

Ironically, some of the things I thought I'd NEVER use--are the things that seem to be working best! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:tongue_smilie:Live & learn!

Merry :-)

Ooh, thank you for that. I feel like handwriting is something that many people I know let the kids do independently, but I never let mine. Sometimes I feel really a bit frustrated by it because independent work is a goal of mine and it SEEMS like this should a good place to start, but if I don't sit there and guide them, then... well, I shouldn't say it doesn't serve a purpose because it does help increase their fluency and speed, but it doesn't help them correct mistakes.

:lol:

I saw the thread title and finished it "I wish I might get the wish that I wish tonight!" Last night I posted a thread on "Twinkle, twinkle" Madhatter style. Guess I have my mind on stars!

Honestly, I'm not wishing on anything right now. Just relishing in the "much of muchness." If I think about it too much, I can sour grapes. I am just going with the flow right now!

Ironically, some of the things I thought I'd NEVER use--are the things that seem to be working best! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:tongue_smilie:Live & learn!

Merry :-)

I can completely relate! I didn't think we'd like workbooks, structured curricula, or Christian curricula. And here we are, doing wonderfully with CLE LA!

I DID sit with them. But once they seemed to have the hang of it, I made it independent work. Big mistake. I now have one with atrocious handwriting, far beyond just a matter of being a boy. He got sloppy after I stopped hovering. Now we have to begin working on correcting that.

I wish I had more patience and energy.

I wish I had known when we started everything I know now. I would have done some things differently.