Menu

Junior Master Gardener program?

Reya

Thanks! That's good. All I need to know really is the general feel of it. :-) My mom had heard *of* it and recommended it based on what she'd heard but hadn't any firsthand accounts to pass along. There aren't all that many bookish resources for botany enrichment, and I thought to myself, "Wait. What about actually, you know, GROWING PLANTS?" *g*

Can you do it as just a family, or do you really need a big group?

Oh, I think you can definitely do it alone. It's fun in a group, but there are a TON of projects and you can do them at home just as in a group. We did it through our local university arboretum. I have kept the book so that we can use it when we do botany study again, this next school year. I don't know that you can get registered doing it on your own, but you could contact them and ask, I guess.

I'm trying to recall how long the program ran when we did it.... I think it was 8 weeks for either 2 or 3 hours each week. Then they also had to do about 8 hours of community service work in order to earn their JMG certificate. They had a certain number of requirements from the book that they had to work on each week at home and get signed off (sort of like the scouting books). We did as many as we could, and *still* had plenty of activities left over to try another time.

I think if you were really working through the book thoroughly, and doing all the activities in it, as well as all those on the website, plus gardening some on your own - it could certainly be at least a half year long course. That's with working on it about four hours per week. If you spent less time per week, you might draw it out to a year long course.

I'm not sure you'd want to invest the approximately $35 per book cost just to do a camp.... I believe there is a leader's book available, too, but don't know how much that costs.

There's another program similar to this one that covers horses. I believe it's called Junior Master Horseman and it's sponsored by the Quarter Horse Association. 4-H uses it now for a lot of their horse clubs. You could combine the two for a full year's bio study.....