Menu

Help choosing WWI documentary

May you please help me choose one from the ones below? Other suggestions also welcome.

http://www.amazon.com/First-World-War-Complete/dp/B0009S2K9C/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1287073452&sr=1-1 This seems to be the one mentioned the most by homeschoolers.

What about this one? http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Story-World-War/dp/B000XJD37A/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1287073684&sr=1-2

I'm looking for a general overview that focuses on the why & not the sordid details of what actually happened. My DD may be able tolerate the gruesomeness, I can't. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

but good.

The Lost Battalion (not for the squeamish--but my war loving boys loved it)

Sargent York (or something like that)

Flyboys (but I had to fast forward through some of the "adult" parts)

Bonne Noel (about the temporary Christmas truce--had to fast forward through a mild bed scene, but at least it was with a marrried couple)

Not sure of your kids ages but mine were 13 and 10.

Jeri

but good.

The Lost Battalion (not for the squeamish--but my war loving boys loved it)

Sargent York (or something like that)

Flyboys (but I had to fast forward through some of the "adult" parts)

Bonne Noel (about the temporary Christmas truce--had to fast forward through a mild bed scene, but at least it was with a marrried couple)

Not sure of your kids ages but mine were 13 and 10.

Jeri

Thanks! I'll check these out. Hopefully our library has some.

More, anyone?

We watched the first one and dh and I thought it was great, though dd16 (who was about 14 at the time) who was very interested in WWI, bowed out after the first couple of hours. I think it was too much detail for her, but not enough detail about the things she was most interested in. I can't remember if it was gruesome overall , though I do remember some very sad photos and stories. What I found fascinating about it was that it's WWI from a British/European POV, so it has very little of the US involvement, because, after all, our involvement was actually minimal when seen within the larger picture. If you're looking mainly for information about our part in the war, this is probably not your best resource.

I think if you're looking for a general overview, this may be too big a time commitment for you and possibly too much detail. But it has fantastic visuals, particularly the film clips. Film was relatively novel at that time, and you can see that in the reactions of the soldiers; many of them wave or goof off a little when they see the camera, which I found unexpectedly poignant. It reminded me how young they were.

I'm not familiar with the other series you mention. I'll be interested to hear what others say, as I would like to augment my very inadequate WWI education.

I hope this helps a bit!

May you please help me choose one from the ones below? Other suggestions also welcome.

http://www.amazon.com/First-World-War-Complete/dp/B0009S2K9C/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1287073452&sr=1-1 This seems to be the one mentioned the most by homeschoolers.

What about this one? http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Story-World-War/dp/B000XJD37A/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1287073684&sr=1-2

I'm looking for a general overview that focuses on the why & not the sordid details of what actually happened. My DD may be able tolerate the gruesomeness, I can't. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

If you're looking to how Europe got to the point that an assassination by a Serbian nationalist could trigger a continent wide war, then it seems that most of the video histories won't fit the bill. They would start with a short intro of the politics but then get into the war itself.

Have you looked at the Teaching Company series "Long 19th Century" or "World War 1"? [NB: I generally prefer Teaching Company as audio where I can do housework and listen rather than sitting and watching the lectures, even with the visual aids.]