Menu

Compare AAS and Saxon Phonics for me please

mothergooseof4

My 2nd grader, age 8, ds has completed CLE Learning to Read. I loved it and he made a lot of progress. I do not care for their LA though so we dropped CLE for 2nd grade.

He did a quick run through AAS 1 last year after completing CLE LTR. It was all review. We are now doing AAS 2 and he is doing well with the spelling. However, his reading skills are not progressing. He still gets frustrated and still has to sound out words. He is reading the AAS reader as scheduled for level 2 and some other level 2 readers, but it is slow going and tedious. He gets frustrated. I do not think there are any learning disorders here. I really just think he is a slower reader.

Last night, I got a recommendation for Saxon phonics, but I cannot really see that it is much different from AAS in what it really teaches. Could someone compare it to AAS for me?

My 2nd grader, age 8, ds has completed CLE Learning to Read. I loved it and he made a lot of progress. I do not care for their LA though so we dropped CLE for 2nd grade.

He did a quick run through AAS 1 last year after completing CLE LTR. It was all review. We are now doing AAS 2 and he is doing well with the spelling. However, his reading skills are not progressing. He still gets frustrated and still has to sound out words. He is reading the AAS reader as scheduled for level 2 and some other level 2 readers, but it is slow going and tedious. He gets frustrated. I do not think there are any learning disorders here. I really just think he is a slower reader.

Last night, I got a recommendation for Saxon phonics, but I cannot really see that it is much different from AAS in what it really teaches. Could someone compare it to AAS for me?

If you plan to combine Saxon Phonics and AAS it would be difficult in my opinion. AAS is OG based where Saxon Phonics is not. For instance Saxon Phonics introduces the shwa sound. It does not teach the four sounds of 'a' like AAS.

Saxon Phonics does introduce sight words but I have my ds sound some out. Sometimes I can cover half the word for example 'into' is considered a sight word. I cover to and have him read in and I tell him the 'o' is saying it's 3rd sound /oo/.

With that said, I'm using Saxon Phonics 1 and am really liking the program. Saxon Phonics does teach spelling. They learn when to use the /k/ sound. I'm learning a lot about syllables and accents. I'm finally understand the accent mark :blush:

You can click on my blog link below to read about our Saxon Phonics adventures :) My sidebar has a Saxon Phonics link (scroll down to find it)

Edited by Homeschooling6