Menu

Math Addition Facts Review?

nikkid

My ds (age 7) knows how to add, but has not memorized her add facts (or sub facts for that matter)--skip counting is great with the MUS songs but she needs help with the individual facts. Filling out drill sheets is just too boring for her after a page. Anyone have tips for helping the memorization be fun or go faster? Any good math songs out there? She loves to sing.

Thank you!

My kids enjoyed practice using the MUS website

http://www.mathusee.com/e-sources/drill-page/

quarter mile math, dice games, dominos (we added as we went) and adding and subtracting their way up the stairs. For every correct fact you get to go up a step, for every incorrect down a step. For months we would practice our way up to brush our teeth at night.

We just do flashcards every day after her math lesson, and dd7 has eventually gotten faster. My son is 6 and has started joining us with the addition facts so that gives her an added incentive to get faster so he doesn't beat her to the answer. :001_smile: Drill may be boring, but I find it's the best way to get them in their heads. I remember flashcards worked for me when I was in school.

• 3 months later...

I know I'm late on saying thank you, but thanks for the suggestions!

I also found this great program at a library near by: Addition the Fun Way with flashcards. It was amazing! Since my daughter is all about creating and reading stories, these addition stories brought math back to being fun again...almost as much as history. We loved listening to the tape as well everywhere we went. She learned all her addition facts in a matter of weeks!:001_smile: