Menu

Skipping co-op due to birthday -- wwyd?

One last post, because I'm starting to get annoyed at some of the posts here suggesting that I think that the world revolves around my child.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I can understand your feelings -- personally, I'm kind of shocked that so many people are upset at the thought of a family taking a day off from an enrichment co-op to celebrate a birthday.

Clearly, I am irresponsible and not nearly regimented enough, because I just don't see this as being a big deal. The kid wants a day off. It's her birthday. So you take the day off. What's the problem? You'd be arranging for coverage for the class you teach; you're not leaving them high and dry, and this isn't a strict, academic co-op, so your kids won't miss anything crucial.

I guess I'm just one of those moms who thinks the world revolves around my child... ;):D:tongue_smilie:

Cat

Last year my son's b-day fell on the first day of band (not his favorite activity) and our Wed. night church activity. As a normal rule we do take the day off of school on a birthday. And we did no school last year on his b-day aside from band. But he complained up and down and every which away about having to go to band on his birthday and even complained about the church function even though he typically really enjoys it and looks forward to it. I think he wanted to do absolutely nothing that day.

I told him to suck it up. In real life you don't get to take your b-day off (I think it's the RARE employer who gives this as a matter of course) You just keep on keeping on and find an alternative day to celebrate if your actual b=day falls at a bad time. It's not the end of the world. But that's just me. I'm a mean mom. :D

I can understand your feelings -- personally, I'm kind of shocked that so many people are upset at the thought of a family taking a day off from an enrichment co-op to celebrate a birthday.

Cat

It didn't seem to me that those with other opinions on this were upset - they just had a different opinion. But it did seem that other opinions were upsetting to the OP. What I would find to be shocking would be if everyone had the same exact opinion. :tongue_smilie:

What's the big deal about missing co-op for a day, anyway? We homeschool because of the flexibility to do things like take the day off for birthdays!

Cat

We'll, it's only the middle of Oct. and the OP says this " ......we have taken quite a few of these days since September due to vacation, field trips and my own personal planning days for other activities where I volunteer........

Apparently, it's not just ONE day being taken off, but another day of many.

It's one thing to take off days from homeschooling, when it IS you at home with your children and you are not affecting other peoples schedules, but a co-op is not JUST homeschooling, it is involving others in a group setting.

I could understand it more IF it WERE the ONLY day up to this time, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Others are being asked again,and again to cover already and it's only Fall of the school year. :tongue_smilie:

We'll, it's only the middle of Oct. and the OP says this " ......we have taken quite a few of these days since September due to vacation, field trips and my own personal planning days for other activities where I volunteer........

Apparently, it's not just ONE day being taken off, but another day of many.

It's one thing to take off days from homeschooling, when it IS you at home with your children and you are not affecting other peoples schedules, but a co-op is not JUST homeschooling, it is involving others in a group setting.

I could understand it more IF it WERE the ONLY day up to this time, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Others are being asked again,and again to cover already and it's only Fall of the school year. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I had the same thought. I would not miss another day unless it was an extreme emergency. I think this is a good time to teach about fulfilling personal commitments when other people are counting on you.

I will also agree with the OP that said they would fill in and never say anything negative about it, appearing happy to do so, but inside I would not be happy about it.

It didn't seem to me that those with other opinions on this were upset - they just had a different opinion. But it did seem that other opinions were upsetting to the OP. What I would find to be shocking would be if everyone had the same exact opinion. :tongue_smilie:

My thoughts were exactly what Catwoman expressed, but she did it far more succinctly. I was not upset that there were differing opinions, but rather was annoyed at how these opinions were expressed. Add in surprised, as well.

I definitely did not think that everyone should share my same opinion.

It's a moot point now. She's going to co-op.

Thanks, Catwoman. You summed up my thoughts much more clearly and less emotionally than I did.

Clearly, I am irresponsible and not nearly regimented enough, because I just don't see this as being a big deal. The kid wants a day off. It's her birthday. So you take the day off. What's the problem? You'd be arranging for coverage for the class you teach; you're not leaving them high and dry, and this isn't a strict, academic co-op, so your kids won't miss anything crucial.

I guess I'm just one of those moms who thinks the world revolves around my child... ;):D:tongue_smilie:

Cat

Coincidentally, we have the exact same thing at our house going on next week. We take an out of the house science class on Wednesdays and that happens to be my son's 10th birthday. We're definitely going! Our science class only runs 8 weeks.

We're going out to lunch after class and he's having a sleepover with a couple friends the following night. So I would go - particularly because of your obligation. I guess if I were paying for a class, I'd be annoyed if the teacher took a personal day for anything other than an emergency.

Edited to say - I didn't read any other posts before posting this! Didn't mean to stir any additional controversy.

Edited by kck