Menu

What is the worst educational/HS item you've ever bought?

MamaHappy

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catholic Heritage Curricula's Devotional Stories for Little Folks. Urgh. Some of the stories were nice, but overall they were too "goody goody" and very boring. Dd1 did not like them, but I kept at it. I finally tossed them when we got to one story entitled "All That Glitters" that was basically about how anything fantasy related (you know, dragons and wizards and stuff) is evil and of teh debil. We are HUGE fantasy/sci-fi nerds in this house.

:iagree:my kids were thrilled when we dropped it.

:iagree: I actually don't mind it, but it led to many many tears and a hatred of math for my kids to use MM.

100 Easy Lessons and Writing Strands were also duds for us. The Easy French and First Start French were both horrible failures here, too. Totally boring.

Abeka K videos-

Abeka textbooks- we do like the Abeka readers though in the other grades

Sonlight TG's-should have just bought the books

Math U See

100 EZ

SRW

Trickomatics

Calvert 2..

OdysseyWare

ETC but not the early beginning books Get Ready to Explode the Code.

A lot of the workbooks bought at Walmart, Lucky's, Staples etc

Living Learning Books-worksheets/crafts meant for preschoolers

BJU science 5

Easy Grammar

Happy Handwriting

Muzzy

Rosetta Stone

Miquon

Oak Meadow 1 or 2-can't remember what i got

Excel math

MPM math

Kumon Math

There are more just can't think of all of them...some of these did not work with my first set of kids but may work with the next set of kids.. Never know with kids..they are so so individual.

• 3 weeks later...
Rod & Staff science was sooooooo boring!

We have to second that one...We found that it wasn't a great fit for us. My son does not thrive on a lot of repetition so it didn't work well for us.

We're new here and actually still looking for a great alternative in a HS Language Arts program, so I'm excited to continue reading through all of the posts and suggestions for a better fit!

Happy Holidays,

Julianne :O)

We get them all the time, too. I wondered if somehow our mailing address was given to them by any conferences we attended... :001_huh:

It's something online, because I've never attended a conference or anything like that. Hmm ... Timberdoodle, Calvert, Rainbow Resource, CurrClick, HSBC, and Oak Meadow are the only ones I remember giving my address to whether asking for a catalog or ordering anything. Any in common? You or stripe?

It's something online, because I've never attended a conference or anything like that. Hmm ... Timberdoodle, Calvert, Rainbow Resource, CurrClick, HSBC, and Oak Meadow are the only ones I remember giving my address to whether asking for a catalog or ordering anything. Any in common? You or stripe?

Rainbow Resources and CurrClick in common. No conferences for me, either.

Do you subscribe to any homeschool magazines?

Many, many years ago I subscribed to Homeschooling Today magazine. I really disliked junk mail so I altered my last name each time I subscribed or requested a catalog from a place (this was snail mail). So, if my last name was Smith, I'd have my last name be Msith. All these years later (20 plus) I still get junk mail using this altered last name, which was only used with that magazine.

• 3 weeks later...

Calvert 2 qualifies as the worst, because it was so expensive! We love Calvert 4 and we also enjoyed Pre-K and K, but the 2nd grade program was like public school in a box. The readers were beautiful but that was about the extent of anything worth anything!!

They were pretty fair with my refund, though. I give them credit for that!

Luckily I sent it back quickly while most of the materials were still sale-able. Too bad I didn't send the math back along with it. Calvert math is fun but now my dd is way behind! I'm moving her to Horizons this week.

• 4 weeks later...
AAS, levels 1 and 2 - Based on what the website says, I bought levels one and two. They were a complete waste of time because my son already knew all those rules. The only thing that was new to him was the concept of open and closed syllables, but I could have explained that. I do like the sequential nature of it, and I'm ordering the next couple of levels because I think somewhere in 3 or 4 we'll get to the right level, but I wish I'd realized that levels 1 and 2 were as basic as they are!

I think that is our problem with AAS. DD hates it but I think it is because it is way too easy for her. We have flown through 1 and 2 but I thinkig will challange her more when we get into 3 or 4.... Fingers crossed because I like it!

Oh, dear! Glad you sent them (A & O Lifepaks) back. Everyone I've ever talked to who has used them tells me they are rife with error. Our local parent-teacher store used to try to push them on new homeschoolers, telling them that they were the "only approved curriculum" for our county (not true at all). I feel so sorry to think of all the poor newbies who got sucked into using them....

My first, and by far the worst, homeschooling purchase was Before Five in a Row. I was never able to use it at all. I couldn't find the books at my library and lessons involved elaborate parent creations from scratch with no template that would be used in a lesson for maybe a tenth of the time taken for prep.

We've had other moderate busts, but nothing else this bad.

ETC - complete busywork for us.

Calculadder - dd couldn't handle the pressure of the timer. Saving it to try with dd6.

Now, I'll have to duck but......WWE. I feel like we wasted two very valuable years. I knew going into it that I didn't understand it but I'd just trust the process. Well, for my visual dd, it was a complete bust. At 8.5, she didn't understand how to put a paragraph together nor could she put her thoughts down in any way that resembled coherency. And, of course, she's now really interested in writing. Thankfully, after just 3 weeks with PAL Writing, she's improved amazingly. Wish I'd had that 2 years ago.

ETC - complete busywork for us.

Calculadder - dd couldn't handle the pressure of the timer. Saving it to try with dd6.

Now, I'll have to duck but......WWE. I feel like we wasted two very valuable years. I knew going into it that I didn't understand it but I'd just trust the process. Well, for my visual dd, it was a complete bust. At 8.5, she didn't understand how to put a paragraph together nor could she put her thoughts down in any way that resembled coherency. And, of course, she's now really interested in writing. Thankfully, after just 3 weeks with PAL Writing, she's improved amazingly. Wish I'd had that 2 years ago.

What is PAL? I am currently using EFTTC and feel it a bit relaxed for my oldest boy. Good for my younger kids though

Spelling Workout Writing Strands Calvert ( did 1 - 3 hated them all, not sure why I continued that was a long time ago. ) LLATL Slow and Steady Get Me Ready SL LA ( K, the only one I purchased ! ) SL IG's for P 4/5 & K ( I tossed them both, I have B & C that we are using.) 100 EZ lessons ( used it many years ago, didn't care for it but there weren't a tons of choices back then. ) Hooked on Phonics ( what a waste, probably wins hands down ) Every Single Science ( I have ever purchased over many years has been a waste, we are enjoying Elemental Science for now, but we are still in the grammar stage ! )

What is PAL? I am currently using EFTTC and feel it a bit relaxed for my oldest boy. Good for my younger kids though

Institute for Excellence - PAL Writing.

It's their newest entry point to their writing program. It's designed to be started in K and is divided into 3 levels (all in one manual). K starts with letters, handwriting and narration. Level 2 continues narration, adds copywork and beginning grammar and sentence structure. Level 3 jumps into an introductory version of their writing process. My dd5 started at the beginning but I've set it aside because I don't care for the handwriting instruction. She's doing narration until we get through all her letters in another handwriting program. She'll then move into Level 2. My dd8 started in Level 2 and zipped through during the fall with a few revisions b/c of her age (it's designed for K-2).

She started Level 3 this month and it's great. She is very creative and has a million thoughts going through her head and one time. It's a bit of a challenge to sort through all of those thoughts and get them on paper. PAL is actually helping her to develop a framework to organize thoughts. I was initially concerned but this was a great step towards helping her write. We'll probably move into their full program in the fall...if she continues to enjoy this. I do wish I'd had this in the 1st grade for her - rather than the 3rd.

Nothing so far has been BAD.

But I was disappointed by the HOP that I purchased. I felt like it didn't even come remotely close to teaching enough PHONEMIC AWARENESS.

We are still currently using it, however, along with AAS1.

Also, it's not that I don't love the concept, but I really felt like FIAR was a complete waste of money. Love the idea, love the concept, but I would not spend the money for the book again.

Nothing terrible, but I had downloaded the pdf versions of Knowledge Quest's blackline maps for The Ancients (2001) and The Middle Ages (2001) and liked them very much, but when I got around to getting the third volume, New World (2010), I was disappointed. These were no longer blackline maps- they were at best blueline maps. I usually print out the maps that are already labeled, and these are filled in with green and blue for land and water, so I would either have to use up a bunch of printer ink, or get a greyscale map that is too dark and not very good for coloring and further labeling.

I did contact the company to find out if there was a more old fashioned, simpler version available, but I'm afraid I'm out of luck.

My first, and by far the worst, homeschooling purchase was Before Five in a Row. I was never able to use it at all. I couldn't find the books at my library and lessons involved elaborate parent creations from scratch with no template that would be used in a lesson for maybe a tenth of the time taken for prep.

We've had other moderate busts, but nothing else this bad.

:iagree: I was so disappointed. I feel that it is a scam that you have to buy the parent's guide then if you actually want templates and printouts you can go to the FIAR website and spend more money on their lapbooking material. WHAT!!!?? I thought it was all included. Why not include everything in the parent's guide?

Hated:

Saxon Math (1, 2, 3)

Language Lessons for the Very Young 2, 3

FLL

Writing Strands

Love:

100EZ Lessons = I've taught 4 to read with it. We don't read through the stories 3 times, just once. We don't do the writing. We do the instruction on one day and the reading on the next (after the first few easy lessons are over). This has worked great. By about lesson 60 they are ready to give it up and read on their own. I tried another program this year, but went back to it after seeing what a great job it did. We supplement with BOB Books and easy readers. The stories do get kind of long, so I sometimes alternate reading the sentences with the child to take the pressure off.

AAS - yes, it's easy, but the beauty of knowing how to spell something by the rules opens a whole new world. Almost any word they encounter can be deciphered. I love this program.

Catholic Heritage Curricula's Devotional Stories for Little Folks. Urgh. Some of the stories were nice, but overall they were too "goody goody" and very boring. Dd1 did not like them, but I kept at it. I finally tossed them when we got to one story entitled "All That Glitters" that was basically about how anything fantasy related (you know, dragons and wizards and stuff) is evil and of teh debil. We are HUGE fantasy/sci-fi nerds in this house.

I'm not the only one then :tongue_smilie: Yes, boring, preachy, no literary quality. Twaddle.

Besides that,

My Jesus and I (ds and I would fall asleep - only lasted through a few lessons in K.)

Spectrum Phonics (I felt like ds didn't retain anything and it was busywork)

BFIAR (should have listened to my hsing friend, but I was not confident enough - waste of money)

Calculadders (ds freezes in timed drills)

I haven't given up on Miquon! I really like the idea, but ds is learning much better with MM. Will try Miquon with dd in the Fall.

Edited by sagira

FIAR

Little Stories for Little Folks (dd hates this. Cries when I try to bring it out)

Right Start A. We struggled through this until just recently. I should've just started with SM1a. It's not that it didn't work it's just it was tedious and dd is workbook-y