Menu

What is the worst educational/HS item you've ever bought?

MamaHappy

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saxon math

I think the only reason 100EZ isn't on my list is because I only used the stories and not the rest of the program. It looked way too boring to use the whole thing.

That's what we're doing. We have to "use" it because our co-op is doing it, but as that's only 15 minutes of review per week I'm just going to make sure he can read the stories. :)

Oh no! We are just starting this for first grade on September 14th. What didn't you like about it?!

We just found it very irritating...i don't know if I can explain why. Felt like there was a lot of jumping around, a lot of "pull out disk 4 and play song 12" and then go back to the computer and click on the next button. We're using Stories of the Great Composers now and it's SO relaxing and enjoyable. I just felt like it was a waste of time.

I have a bunch of things that were busts here...And many of them are very popular.

BFIAR

Phonetic Zoo

Meaningful Composition

Math Mammoth

TOG for the early grades--love it for UG and dialectic

Apologia Flying Creatures of the First Day

CLE reading (but I love the math!!) Maybe if we had used this from the beginning...

MCT LA

We just found it very irritating...i don't know if I can explain why. Felt like there was a lot of jumping around, a lot of "pull out disk 4 and play song 12" and then go back to the computer and click on the next button. We're using Stories of the Great Composers now and it's SO relaxing and enjoyable. I just felt like it was a waste of time.

:iagree:I substituted violin lessons and Leonard Bernstein's Young People's Concert series on DVD:D

100 EZ Lessons - I think we did it for 2 days. I don't even know where it went. ;)

Saxon Math 67 or 76 or whatever it was. DD was so upset with it we didn't do math for a yr! It took forever to get her going again without getting angry and dramatic. :glare: She enjoys MUS :001_smile:

My other DD hates MUS :glare: so I put it away and ordered Teaching Textbooks. (We'll see how it goes)

The Saxon Book went to the garbage!! :D

Looking for a good math program for my youngest. He's a Ker. I'm almost afraid to order after reading your post. :001_huh:

Help :bigear:

Reading programs -

Bob Jones K5 (way too much concentration on word families and not phonics)

Phonics Road to Writing and Reading (teaches phonics in a random order that I could never figure out....so I sold it!)

OPGTR (didn't like having to follow a script that took the fun out of reading)

PAL Reading (same issue like Phonics Road....taught phonics based on poems not a systematic order)

Math -

Saxon....don't like the system for teaching new topics daily.

I'm sure that there are plenty of other things that didn't fit but those are the ones that REALLY didn't fit our family!

I think I posted this on another similar thread, but Connect the Thoughts "First Step" curriculum was a waste of money.

Really, I *like* the philosophy and I thought the lessons were very thought-provoking and appropriate for building independent thought and critical thinking skills...

But his materials were so riddled with spelling, punctuation, and capitalization errors that I found them unusable. The author's explanation to me was that he is a one-man show with no editor. Fine, but then he shouldn't be charging what he does for the curriculum, not until it is polished.

• 5 weeks later...

Moving Beyond the Page. I really wanted to like it so much, I researched it and I thought that this was going to be the greatest curriculum for my dd. I received it, was so excited and then we started using it. I then realized that it was just not a good fit for dd. For the first concept she loved it. It was about habitats and she was so happy, then we moved on to community and she now hates it. It's boring and she keeps asking for science (MBTP alternates between science and social studies, at least from what I've experienced). I now realize that we are just a classical education family, dd does better with it instead of a literature based unit type approach!

Guest Buck Mountain Homeschool

I personally gag when opening a Saxon math book - boring and too easy.

Apologia Elementary Science books - we have 2 and though I've tried to use them, they do not hold our attention.

Easy Grammar - boring again. Never got past the first few pages

Latina Christiana - boring. All of us enjoy Latin for Children and headventure.com

Sonlight K History Part - We love the other levels, glad I started with Core one 1st with dd or we would have missed out on a great program. World cultures had us look at different homes people live in for at least a month. Yuck.

Abeka science 1 - people have to try real hard to make science that dull

BTW, it is humanly impossible to keep to the Sonlight IG. We only use parts we like, but we like much of it.

Shiller Math. Boy did that jump around in concepts. First trace a line, now add these 3 digit numbers!!! Great manipulatives though.

Any learn to read program drove me nuts. I LOATHED each schedule. I simply put Abeka readers and Bob Books in my own order and taught DS to read with marker and white paper. He loved it. And we love phonics. Never had the kids write anything either. Just read, read, read!

Lap Books - like I have time for that

Grammar Ace - we need more than that Sonlight!

Horizons Math - I like it (I'm an engineer), but kids hate, loathe, and run and hide whenever possible. I don't understand why. Switching to Math Mammoth next book for a change. We'll see...

• 1 month later...

I read through all of these posts and am totally kicking myself right now. I HATED 100 Easy Lessons with my daughter. HATED IT. But so many people in my CC community have raved over it, so since my DD learned to read with some crazy combination of jumping from that to The Ordinary Parents Guide and BOB books, and Abeka, I thought maybe I hadn't given it a good enough chance. SO, EVEN though I had GIVEN it away, I bought it again and just started with my son today.:glare: Now, since I've bought it twice and he's a different kid, I feel like I should give it a chance, but these posts are making me question it!

Public school 1st and 2nd grade reading books. I just wanted to see what the reading level would look like, and I had hoped the books might be useful too. There were not useful in a big way.

There is also a very popular book that is a guide to what a kid should be able to do by grade level (I am not referring to WTM). That book has never done anything but discourage me terribly.

I can't really say there's been a worst so far. I didn't care for the script used in HWT and chose to go with GDI, but it's perfectly serviceable program; I'd feel very unfair referring to it as "the worst HS item I've ever bought". It didn't suit our needs, but is perfect for many. Similarly, I thought we would begin the process of switching from RS to SM this year, and also thought SM 2A/2B would be superior to RS C, based on what I'd read here, but now that Beast Academy should be out this summer I think we'll actually be switching to that, and I've also found RS C and SM 2A/2B to virtually interchangeable, so I could have skipped SM this year. Again, however, I would never refer to SM in negative terms; it was just redundant in our situation. So we've been very lucky, but those are the only curriculum changes/regrets we've experienced so far. We're averaging one per HSing year, and that seems reasonable to me.

HomeSat years ago. Basically I was a slave to multiple VCRs and schedules for recording. I hated storing all the video tapes and recording and labeling. It just wasn't worth the hassle. It lasted about nine months, miserable nine months.

Muzzy Spanish - My father bought this for the children out-of-the-blue many years ago. I'm glad that I didn't waste my money.

Saxon Math - Works for many but I didn't care for it. I even used the DIVE cds at one point.

I have to say, I'm using 100EZ for the second time, and so far it's going well. This time my son has used Starfall for a year, so we might be able to get through lessons a bit faster. I agree with a previous poster, though--don't read stories three times (ouch!), stick to ten to fifteen minutes a day, no matter how little of the lesson that covers (unless you're in the middle of a story, of course), don't do the writing, etc. Actually, for the writing, we're going to be trying the Wikki Stix Alphabet Fun Cards I've just ordered, along with tracing the letters with a finger, but I don't know that we'll even be doing that every lesson.

I don't know that Explode the Code books 4-6 actually taught my son anything, but they sure kept him busy while I took care of his siblings! As it turns out, he loves having some workbooks, so he didn't even hate ETC, however much it resembled busy work to me.

Worst buys? They were both from Sonlight, which I otherwise love. The Sonlight LA program (to go along with Grade 2 Readers) were way, way too involved in the composition part, although the copywork and grammar actually fit where my son was. Really strange.

Also, in Sonlight Core 1, the Usborne Peoples of the World book that they have you start off with is horrible, particularly for first grade. I bet that person who hated Sonlight Core 1 tangled with this one and understandably gave up. After we got through that and moved on to Archaeologists Dig for Clues, life suddenly got much easier. Admittedly, my son didn't much care for Understood Betsy--I wish they'd had a boy's alternative--but overall, it was an excellent program, and we're doing Core 2 now.

Of course, next year we're dropping Sonlight for another item that's shown up on this thread a few times: Biblioplan! Here's hoping it works out better for us.

Spelling Workout. It was my first spelling program and ds simply could NOT learn through worksheets. Ditto for Calculadders.

Also purchased All About Spelling. I honestly don't know if it's a good program or not, but the sheer work involved in learning the program made me put it away within the first 3 weeks of school. Just not what i need in this stage of my life. Kids are perfectly happy learning with Phonics Pathways and Explode the Code.

Edited by Susan in TN

The Core, by Leigh Bortins. I don't understand what is so special about this book.

Growing with Grammar. For the grade level, it seemed worse than no grammar at all.

Winning with Writing. It felt like busy work.

Saxon Intermediate 3. I don't think this is a bad product, it simply didn't fit us.

Chalkdust algebra 1 - dvd lessons TOO long winded - NOT homeschool friendly

:iagree:

It was a bummer that we wasted our time on this. Ds had used Chalkdust for 2 years before Algebra I and had loved Uncle Buck.

My dd is dyslexic and I just knew that MUS and All About Spelling were going to be the ticket with her. They were expensive busts! Did I say "expensive"?

My other DD hates MUS :glare: so I put it away and ordered Teaching Textbooks. (We'll see how it goes)

My dd is dyslexic and absolutely despised MUS (and was lukewarm on Math Mammoth in previous years). We have been using Teaching Textbooks (pre-algebra) since the first of the year and she LOVES it. She is testing extremely well and remembering the steps of what she needs to do without prompting for the first time... ever.

I know there are people who say that it may not be very rigorous, but it is the "fit" for my dd. She smiles when she does math now.

Good luck!

I downloaded a math app for my child that had errors in it. After discussing with the developer, who seemed uninterested in fixing it any time soon, I gave it a not great review. The developer then contacted me to complain. The developer clearly had a chip on their shoulder because the app wasn't bringing in mega-bucks. I agreed to change it after it was updated. I would have posted here to recommend it, but then about 30 minutes after I received an email from the developer letting me know the correction was available for update, I got a group of spam email subscriptions to various websites, all at the same time -- including two for gambling, one for wives of s-x addicts, one for coupons, and one for overweight people, subscribed from an IP address in the same geographic area as the app developer -- I will NOT under any circumstances give this app a positive review on the WTM, and it was not worth my $1.99.

Lesson: get a (disposable) email address for these discussions and/or do not contact app developers. Unfortunate because I'd never had such a weird exchange before when contacting programmers.

By the way, why did I get a Saxon math catalog in the mail yesterday??

We are using NL 3 this year, and I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed. It is definitely too easy for my 5th grader, but it is okay for my 3rd grader. I hate the script too, but I just skim through the material and then teach it without the script.

It is okay, I guess, but I probably wouldn't have purchased it if I had known. We will go ahead and use it this year because at least it is getting done. There is some good information in there, so I don't feel it is a total waste. And my fifth grader doesn't mind easy, ;):glare:

I had really hoped that it would be perfect. I absolutely have to have a program that is already laid out for me and that includes virtually all of the supplies for the science experiments. If we don't have that, science just doesn't get done. I have no idea what I'm going to do next year. Science is my homeschooling nemesis. :glare:

In case you're still reading this, I'm using this w/my 2 dds who are the same age as yours. I'm having dd11 teach dd8 and it's working out well. DD11 has to do a bit of research before she teaches dd8. Science is finally getting done in my house.

Laura

Failures here:

Wordly Wise

Singapore

Classical Writing, but I'm holding out hope...

FIAR

LLATL

Muzzy

Saxon Math and Analytical Grammar are huge hits here. Not that my kids beg for them (dd11 does really enjoy AG), but they are getting the job done. And they have always enjoyed the variety of problems. My kids have tested super well in standardized tests in math. I did switch ds to Chalkdust for Algebra this year. He seems to be liking it b/c it is so different than Saxon and he was ready for a break. I've supplemented w/LOF as well.

Laura

In case you're still reading this, I'm using this w/my 2 dds who are the same age as yours. I'm having dd11 teach dd8 and it's working out well. DD11 has to do a bit of research before she teaches dd8. Science is finally getting done in my house.

Laura

Hi, Laura! I'm still reading. BTW, I'm in Columbus too!

It is so funny that you commented on this. I actually went back to this post recently because I wanted to edit out some of my remarks. It woudn't let me edit however. :glare: I've changed my mind quite a bit about NL Science. I like it a lot better now. It is meatier than I originally thought and it is actually getting done. :hurray: I have never had a science program that we've stuck through for the whole year. :001_huh: I think that we are actually going to finish this one. :lol: I may even buy NL Science 4 if it comes out this summer like it is expected to.

I really like your idea of DD1 teaching DD2. I think I'll try that next week. Thanks!

Play 'n Talk phonics. The first homeschooling item I ever purchased. What a loathsome start to homeschooling.

Sing, Spell, Read, and Write

Making Math Meaningful by the Quines

Bob Jones Homesat Science Videos. (Shudder)

Introductory Logic by Nance (Yawn)

Edited by ThelmaLou

Sequential Spelling. HATED IT!

I'm also not a big fan of HWOT. I hate the way the cursive looks. And I expected more from the all the manipulatives. The Teacher's Manual is a HUGE waste of money. They spend most of it trying to sell you on the product you've already bought... and upsell new things to you. Ugh. :P

Horizons Math I didn't like. The Teachers Manual was SO confusing!

That's funny! See, I adore Horizons because of their Teacher's Manual. I have never had such a helpful instructor's guide (aside from FLL, where everything is scripted). All the tips and ideas. I open it up and go. Love it!

Hi, Laura! I'm still reading. BTW, I'm in Columbus too!

It is so funny that you commented on this. I actually went back to this post recently because I wanted to edit out some of my remarks. It woudn't let me edit however. :glare: I've changed my mind quite a bit about NL Science. I like it a lot better now. It is meatier than I originally thought and it is actually getting done. :hurray: I have never had a science program that we've stuck through for the whole year. :001_huh: I think that we are actually going to finish this one. :lol: I may even buy NL Science 4 if it comes out this summer like it is expected to.

I really like your idea of DD1 teaching DD2. I think I'll try that next week. Thanks!

I'm glad to hear that you're finding it meatier. Since I've delegated it, I'm not sure how meaty it is. I do know it's getting done. I've also just ordered Rainbow Science for my older two for the same reason.

I also agree with The Core. I, too, borrowed it from the library and am glad I didn't buy it.

Laura

I'm glad to hear that you're finding it meatier. Since I've delegated it, I'm not sure how meaty it is. I do know it's getting done. I've also just ordered Rainbow Science for my older two for the same reason.

I also agree with The Core. I, too, borrowed it from the library and am glad I didn't buy it.

Laura

Yep, I plan to use Rainbow for middle school. It is totally worth it to me to have a science program where everything is provided and it is completely laid out for me. If I don't have that, science will. not. get. done. It just won't.

My girls are actually learning quite a bit, so NL Science 3 is a success after all. :thumbup:

Let's see, over 7 years into this...

Calvert School grades K-6th and any other program by them-- what. a. FREAKING. waste. of. a. LOAD. of. money.

dry, boring, unchallenging in all the wrong places. Loved the checklists in the TMs but that was it.

I guess anything else I bought just did not fit my kids (which is a ton). But Calvert is certainly the biggest regret.

Edited by Guest