Menu

What is the worst educational/HS item you've ever bought?

MamaHappy

Sonlight

Saxon math nearly killed us all!

I'm kind of relieved to see someone else mention Sonlight. I thought I was the only one who didn't like it. To be fair, we never even really implemented it fully, but I was just so unimpressed that I had to try to replace some things right away. I hated hated hated the instructer's guide. Also, the CD that was supposed to be full of hands on activities lacked creativity and initiative in my mind. We enjoyed many of the read alouds, but I could've easily taken suggestions from the list on the website and gotten the books we wanted myself! I got ours used and I can't imagine why anyone would pay the full price that they want. It just doesn't seem worth it to me!

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sequential Spelling. HATED IT!

I'm also not a big fan of HWOT. I hate the way the cursive looks. And I expected more from the all the manipulatives. The Teacher's Manual is a HUGE waste of money. They spend most of it trying to sell you on the product you've already bought... and upsell new things to you. Ugh. :p

That's funny! See, I adore Horizons because of their Teacher's Manual. I have never had such a helpful instructor's guide (aside from FLL, where everything is scripted). All the tips and ideas. I open it up and go. Love it!

:iagree: We've used Horizons from the beginning.  It's the one thing we've never changed, and DD does really well with it.  We don't even really use the TM.

Hmm, my dd LOVES horizons and is VERY good at math....She's used it pretty much exclusively.  But I hardly ever use the TM.   :o  It's the colorful, fun books, the variety, the fact that there are chunks of similar problems (unlike Saxon's spiral where there is only one or two of a similar problem type) so sometimes I can cross out a few problems from the ones she is very good at.  I can cross out 4 out of 5 addition problems, leaving her more time to focus on the multi-digit multiplication problems.  

Horizons has been a complete win for her.  In fact, because of Horizons, I would say that Math is the only subject out of the skill subjects that we have had total success with.

K12 Algebra 1, online (after my DD refused to have mom as a teacher). Kid figured out how to 'pass' the test by working through incorrect answers. The choices never changed so it was a matter of trial & error. Caught up to her in the end though & when she went on to public school the next year, they tested her math & guess what - she got to do Algebra again!