Menu

What is the worst educational/HS item you've ever bought?

MamaHappy

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horizons math. Tears were produced by both dd and me. It was painful.

Apologia Zoology 1 bored everyone to tears. I wouldn't even sell the book. I gave it away and still felt guilty about inflicting someone else with that book.

Those were my two biggest bombs.

Saxon 5/4...found out that my son does *not* work well with the spiral approach. Wow...

Prima Latina and Latina Christiana. The first produced tears of boredom, the second I found myself having to rewrite in order to teach.

Anything from SOS...ds12 still gets twitchy when he sees these on a table at convention lol.

Edited by Kates

Not so much a problem with the items, but just a poor fit for our student... Two items that leap to mind:

- Math wrap-ups; DS quickly learned the *pattern* for wrapping the string around it, but not the math facts.

- Math Shark electronic math facts drill -- DS melted down with any type of timed drills.

Guest TheBugsMom

Saxon math, Apologia General Science and Apologia Biology. I think the biggest disappointment was that everyone seems to like these. My son still talks about how much he hated the Biology book.

for our family, it was:

• teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons
  • math-u-see

i've learned to do a lot of research now before jumping on the bandwagon. i've learned that just because it's popular, doesn't mean it will work for my kids. in fact, we're usually most pleased with things that seem less popular (but i don't know why? they are true gems for us!)

WP The American Story. I tried so hard to make this work, but I found it to be disjointed (and I wasn't secure enough in my HSing journey to 'tweak' it), the broken websites were frustrating, and it seemed rather expensive for what I received. I remember thinking, they could have at least thrown in a binder with this! :tongue_smilie:

I ended up giving it away to a woman who happened to want this curriculum quite badly but couldn't justify the price. I even threw in a free binder. :D

Just curious. :)

I can't say I've purchased anything *really* terrible, but I was pretty let down by MFW K.

What about you?

That's funny because I think that's one of the nicest K programs out there.

I've thought about it but I really can't think of anything I've bought that was really bad except for some books on medieval times, which I ordered through one of the mainstream public school suppliers, that were $20 each but, to my surprise, only about 10 pages long with about 3 words per page.

Lisa

A program that hardly anyone in the world even knows exists called The Self Taught Reading Program. I liked the cards that came with it but the video is a lady in her living room talking with a REALLY annoying bell she rings. It was BAD.

The other is the Madsen Method English, some of you may know it. The Old Schoolhouse had it on thier TOS Homeschool Crew thing and it did not do well. You spend the first 3 weeks or more learning how to hold a pencil. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, yeah, the reading program was $150 and the Madsen English was $200.........sigh..............

I still have both of these for sale, anyone? haha.

WP American Story 1

I wanted so badly to make this work but I just struggled with it. The bazillion paper crafts just made it worse. It was my most frustrating year ever and I just about enrolled the kids in school. I had it pulled out to sell but I just decided to keep it. I actually like most of the books and will just read them to the kids. It was mainly the IG I couldn't stand.

100 EZ Lessons

Never could figure out why this was so well liked. At least this one was inexpensive.

The biggie was TOG. I tried to make it work for two years, and then called it quits and never looked back. I was too much to choose from, too much work, just too much all together. At least it was given to us, so I wasn't out any $.

We went back to Sonlight and ended up doing six cores with them total. Worked muc better for us...

SOS science-snoozer

MUS is a real hit and miss. DD "gets" 50% of the lessons but is sometimes very confused by them

FLL-sooooo redundant so we use WWE

IEW-I am on the fence about this one. I really see the merits of it but it teaches you to breakdown and then puke back what the quthor said but in your own words. Not sure how that is going to help with an creative assignment:confused:

RSO space-not a fan of experiments and have adapted ES for the girls and it seems to be working

Biblioplan-just like SOTW and HO better

That's funny because I think that's one of the nicest K programs out there.

I've thought about it but I really can't think of anything I've bought that was really bad except for some books on medieval times, which I ordered through one of the mainstream public school suppliers, that were $20 each but, to my surprise, only about 10 pages long with about 3 words per page.

Lisa

I think it was just that my expectations were too high. The program itself is fine. I'm actually doing the phonics portion of it again this year with my youngest and it's going much better. :)

I think it was just that my expectations were too high. The program itself is fine. I'm actually doing the phonics portion of it again this year with my youngest and it's going much better. :)

One man's trash is another's treasure. Or something like that.:001_smile:

Lisa

Apologia Zoology 1 bored everyone to tears. I wouldn't even sell the book. I gave it away and still felt guilty about inflicting someone else with that book.

That's so funny! We have loved Apologia Zoology 1 and even still talk about all the stuff we learned from it!! I guess it's all about interest and learning styles...

Not so much a problem with the items, but just a poor fit for our student... Two items that leap to mind:

- Math wrap-ups; DS quickly learned the *pattern* for wrapping the string around it, but not the math facts.

- Math Shark electronic math facts drill -- DS melted down with any type of timed drills.

I vote math wrap-ups too for a different reason. I had the addition set and my boys did not have the manual dexterity to keep the string taut while looking for the answer to the next problem. Then they would lose the previous answer...talk about melt-downs. We shelved that fast!

IEW-I am on the fence about this one. I really see the merits of it but it teaches you to breakdown and then puke back what the quthor said but in your own words. Not sure how that is going to help with an creative assignment:confused:

Mini-Hijack...my boys are doing Unit 7 right now, the creative writing unit. IEW teaches a whole 'nother method of outlining when writing from your brain as opposed to writing from a source.

That's so funny! We have loved Apologia Zoology 1 and even still talk about all the stuff we learned from it!! I guess it's all about interest and learning styles...

I wanted to like it. Really, I did, but after the fifth chapter I never wanted to hear anything about birds ever again. I like the idea of sticking to one topic for the school year, but Zoology 1 was for the birds (har har).

We've tried a lot of klunkers through the years. Here's just a sampling:

Fast Track Action Reading ~ oh my goodness......worst thing in the history of learning to read!! They teach almost all of the letters with the "uh" sound at the end (tuh, zuh, etc). I'll still never forget when the lady on the cassette tape read off some letter sounds and then said, "these letters don't really have the uh sound at the end, but you can't hear me if I don't say them that way, right?" So to sound out "cat" she would say, ""Cuh........ah........tuh. Cuh....ah.....tuh. Cuh..ah..tuh. Cat!!! That's right!" :ack2:

Phonetic Zoo ~ hated it.

Writing Strands ~ day one: write "the pencil in on the table". Day two: write "the yellow pencil is on the table". Day three: write "the yellow pencil is on the big table." :tongue_smilie:

Professor B Math ~ too strict about not moving on until the child could instantly say the answer....my kid never could.

Right Brain Phonics ~ I still don't understand this at all. :confused:

Queens Language Lessons for Little Ones ~ some lessons literally took 10 seconds (plus I *hate* it when a publisher says the book is X amount of pages long but the backside of every page is blank yet still numbered. Pet peeve!). :glare:

Times Tables the Fun Way ~ changes what the numbers represent from story to story which leads to confusion.

Times Tales ~ stories are too confusing.

ETC Online ~ too many frustrating glitches......by the time we could get it working right the subscription ran out.

AAS, levels 1 and 2 - Based on what the website says, I bought levels one and two. They were a complete waste of time because my son already knew all those rules. The only thing that was new to him was the concept of open and closed syllables, but I could have explained that. I do like the sequential nature of it, and I'm ordering the next couple of levels because I think somewhere in 3 or 4 we'll get to the right level, but I wish I'd realized that levels 1 and 2 were as basic as they are!

1962 edition of Voyages in English (way too dry)

Digi-Block Teacher's Guide (designed for classroom use and assumes that the teacher has access to the pricey full kit & caboodle rather than just a set of the blocks)

Bring History Alive! A Sourcebook for Teaching World History (too politically correct, designed for classroom use, and I felt the discussion questions were too advanced for the suggested grade ranges)