Menu

Goal-setting?

How do you go about setting goals and objectives for your accelerated learners? I've had difficulty writing out goals my whole life, and Becca throws another curve in that. I can't just copy out the K objectives in a book, but I don't know how far she'll go with first grade learning.

I'm not required to submit any evaluations or testing, just a curriculum list and grades to my umbrella school. So there's no one "outside" who will be evaluating her anytime soon. As I'm new to hs and she's still so young, I'm sort of letting her determine the pace. I have first grade plans, but I also know that she doesn't have to finish it all in one year.

Am I making any sense at all? :001_huh: Got any help? Thanks everyone!

exactly what I planned to cover with my then 4yo starting K. Well, that was 8 years ago and I no longer bother to set specific yearly goals.

Now I set general goals like in history we will cover the medieval period and in science we will cover earth and space science. In math, I expect the kids to at east finish one grade level though they always finish at least 1.5/year.

I do set weekly/monthly goals depending on the kid and what subject and how they are advancing. Shorter term goals are easier to manage and I keep in mind where we are headed by having thorough knowledge of what is expected year by year in their learning. That first year, I found all my hard work to be an utter waste of time because he had met the goals within the first few months. I wasn't going to call it a year because he had completed a years worth of school and met all my goals in 4-5 months.

I have long range goals for DD, but no timeline. We school year round, do a set amount of work each day, and move on when something is finished -- either to the next level in the same subject or rotate to another subject. I concentrate on meeting her where her abilities and interests are now, and, because she's advanced, there is a lot of room for flexibility and accommodation. For example, DD is currently all about learning Spanish, so time-wise everything else is cut back.

Three years ago I attended a hs conference and sat through a workshop on reverse engineering your dc hs w/the goal of college. It was interesting. The speaker pointed out that most High school graduation requirements would not meet the local CC guidelines for enrollment. This prompted me to look carefully at the list of requirements for various colleges. She advocated a plan that would allow them admission to even the toughest colleges, allowing your dc to have the most options. This made sense to me. I proceeded to go over the requirement list she had made and laid out dd whole hs plan. This is my master plan, and addresses the standard 12y educational model. I have found it very handy to refer to and I tweak it every year, for instance, LCC 2nd ed. is coming out and I'm sure I'll end up making changes. I do not stick to it verbatim, as I allow her to move ahead when necessary.

We YA too, so my yearly plan is tweaked as needed, w/the overall master plan helping me to see the big picture.

Three years ago I attended a hs conference and sat through a workshop on reverse engineering your dc hs w/the goal of college. It was interesting. The speaker pointed out that most High school graduation requirements would not meet the local CC guidelines for enrollment. This prompted me to look carefully at the list of requirements for various colleges. She advocated a plan that would allow them admission to even the toughest colleges, allowing your dc to have the most options. This made sense to me. I proceeded to go over the requirement list she had made and laid out dd whole hs plan. This is my master plan, and addresses the standard 12y educational model. I have found it very handy to refer to and I tweak it every year, for instance, LCC 2nd ed. is coming out and I'm sure I'll end up making changes. I do not stick to it verbatim, as I allow her to move ahead when necessary.

We YA too, so my yearly plan is tweaked as needed, w/the overall master plan helping me to see the big picture.

Even if we don't homeschool all through highschool, I like the idea of working backwards to see where we are within that goal. This would suit dh too, to see that we're not (too far;)) off track in the big scheme of things, as interests might lead us down a side road for awhile, kwim?

What's YA? Also, do you remember the general name of the seminar, so I might be able to look for something similar? Thanks for sharing this.

What's YA? Also, do you remember the general name of the seminar, so I might be able to look for something similar? Thanks for sharing this.

YA-year around

I'm pretty sure it was entitled along the lines of "Reverse Engineering your HS curriculum for College Admission" That is the best I can do as the actual handout is packed in a box.

She introduced herself as coming from a family where college was a tradition, so she naturally asked herself "What do the dc need to get into college?" She presented the requirements to get into everything from CC to Ivy League--not that she is pressuring dc go there, she just wants those doors open if dc were so inclined. She warned parents not look to what their local ps requires for graduation.

You could do this, get a sample of requirements from a handful of different colleges (go online) and work back based on the 12y model to see when you would need to cover certain subjects and how much time the prerequisites will need.

I'm sure SWB does this in the WTM, there is a very good chart(or at least the info) in there somewhere I'm sure of it--I just hadn't read the whole book (I'm still in the Grammar Stage) at the time I attended the workshop. Unfortunately my copy of the WTM is packed in a box too:eek: Check in the WTM...