Menu

BRAND new Christian--need book ideas

A young lady just recently started attending our church and was saved. She is a VERY baby Christian and has very little knowledge of the Bible stories, etc. Do you have any ideas for mentoring books? Would it be good to have her read any Bible Story books just to get a feel for the flow of the Bible and a bit of the who, what, where stuff?

She is a highschool graduate but I would say materials for middle school level would be best.

My goal is to meet with her weekly and try to mentor her but I need some ideas on materials to use. Our pastor gave me a book with 5 lessons in it to get started but I will need more.

A young lady just recently started attending our church and was saved. She is a VERY baby Christian and has very little knowledge of the Bible stories, etc. Do you have any ideas for mentoring books? Would it be good to have her read any Bible Story books just to get a feel for the flow of the Bible and a bit of the who, what, where stuff?

She is a highschool graduate but I would say materials for middle school level would be best.

My goal is to meet with her weekly and try to mentor her but I need some ideas on materials to use. Our pastor gave me a book with 5 lessons in it to get started but I will need more.

If it were me, I'd just read the Bible with her and ask questions of the text. The book of John would be good. Also, I remember reading the Old Testament as a new Christian and God just shining such a light on each story and how it foretold of Christ!! I'd be more inclined to just read the Bible and allow God to guide it rather than someone else's words from a book.

Kay Arthur has some simpler precept studies online that you can print out. They lean towards those 5 Ws and H questions. I know Ephesians, Phillipians, and Matthew are on there. It's less "involved" than her normal precept upon precept studies.

I think beginning with the Gospels is good and explaining the main doctrines of the church. Perhaps the main points of what your church believes are what your pastor gave you in the 5 lessons ?

As far as a Bible Story book to get an overview of the story of the Bible I would have her read The Child's Story Bible by Vos. Is is very well done and an easy way to get a quick overview of the main stories of the Bible.

Here's a link to it.

http://www.christianbook.com/the-childs-story-bible/catherine-vos/9780802850119/pd/5011?item_code=WW&netp_id=157340&event=ESRCN&view=details

I have heard people say that they got a better understanding of the overview of the Bible by reading The Child's Story Bible than they got from attending Bible College.

I would recommend strongly AGAINST "mentor" types books until she has a solid biblical foundation. Commentary is not divinely inspired-the Bible is. Remember that the Bible is a first source/primary source document (the most important of all) and laying a solid foundation of biblical knowledge is critical so that in the future she can discern which commentary/mentor books are solid and which are nonsense. The Bible should be the majority of a Christian's spiritual reading diet.

I would begin with a chronological Bible first. Ours is an NIV and very easily followed by even a child. (We've read through ours with the kids several times.) Once she gets through that, then I would teach her how to do a word study by asking her she thinks is the most significant issue in her life and showing her how to look up passages with verses that address that issue either with a computer search engine that is basically a Strong's Concordance/Dictionary or get in book form.

Once she has done that,"Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis is an excellent start in apologetics working from the ground up. Anyone not Anglican or Episcopalian will likely not get a lot out of the last 1/3 or so of the book (I'm a Baptist myself) but the first part is so very useful to all believers of any denomination I would put it on a must read list.

SO, I'd say a NKJV Bible... I think that something like.... Memoria Press' Bible studies.... Creation on through... is really good for my kids.. and me... and just gives a really solid base.... So.. you start in Genesis... and then the book points out the important parts... (Just the teacher's guide works well) Rather than... Bible studies or whatever.... And of course, something to really get a grasp of the geography is great :)