Menu

Help - a woodpecker has moved in

They had been knocking on the side of the house for days before I found the damage. It looks like they built a nest inside my siding. It is about 20 feet up. I also found 4 or 5 smaller holes where they were test drilling. The previous owners of my house had put up a bird box that they had lived in before we moved in. Last year the squirrels managed to get into it from a nearby tree and made it fall. They drilled their hole about 2 feet from where the nest had been. I am pretty sure that is why they targeted that location, but what do I do about it?

What do you do about woodpeckers? Can I replace just one or two pieces of siding? Can I just fill in the wholes and paint over it? How do I get rid of them? I am pretty sure they are protected in Colorado. Can I just say "Wah!"?

They had been knocking on the side of the house for days before I found the damage. It looks like they built a nest inside my siding. It is about 20 feet up. I also found 4 or 5 smaller holes where they were test drilling. The previous owners of my house had put up a bird box that they had lived in before we moved in. Last year the squirrels managed to get into it from a nearby tree and made it fall. They drilled their hole about 2 feet from where the nest had been. I am pretty sure that is why they targeted that location, but what do I do about it?

What do you do about woodpeckers? Can I replace just one or two pieces of siding? Can I just fill in the wholes and paint over it? How do I get rid of them? I am pretty sure they are protected in Colorado. Can I just say "Wah!"?

Get a fake owl. Really.

Contact your county extension office and they might know of an organization who will take care of the bird(s). Many species of woodpeckers are endangered, so there is some sort of protocol for removing them. When I was a kid, we had a woodpecker, and some people from the state came and re-homed it.