Menu

Should Iget a new washing machine?

Mine is almost 9 years old. It was shaking a lot and moving forward through the laundry room and the middle section came off a few times until DH tightened it well. It also started making a very loud noise, so loud I thought it might explode but I kept using it because I did not have time to deal with it. Now it makes a smaller noise but it sounds like something is squeaking up against something else at some points in the cycle AND the clothes are not coming out as clean. If I want someone to come see it it will cost about $100 (labor is no longer under warranty) and then if they need to come back a second time because they don't have the part it might cost another $100. Should I just get another one given the age of the washer? It would make sense for me to get a front loader because we are now a family of five and then I can wash comforters more easily too. I don't really want one though because I hate bending over so I'm thinking of just getting this one repaired but if it gets another problem a year from now it's really not worth it. What would you do?

My washer is 18 years old and I have a family of 6. I have had service in twice and it cost $100 to come in the door but when he needed a part or when the work he did was not successful, he came back both times without an extra charge. I personally would have service come out and while he is there ask him if it breaks again, what would he do? My service guy said the way I treat my washer, it would work for another 20 years. That said, he suggested if it leaked from the right back area to just get another machine. I have a Kenmore, not front. You can't soak things in a front washer, did you know that?

You "sort of" can soak things in a front loader, but it will probably depend on how water-saving it is. Friends of ours just turn it off at the appropriate time and leave it for a bit. I soak in a bucket and then do a rinse and spin in the front loader.

Min

I have a Kennmore top loader that I've had for at least 15 years. Recently, it stopped getting the clothes quite as clean, and it didn't seem to be agitating as well as it should. DH said I should get a new one, but after pricing them I encouraged him to take another look at it. Turned out there were some small plastic comma-shaped ball bearing type things in the top of the agitator, called agitator dogs, that had gotten worn down. New ones were about $10 post paid, and now the washer is working like new.

I'd go with the service guy.