Menu

Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day is amazing!

Okay, you convinced me!!!! I just bought it and a container on Amazon. (I just ordered the container that most people seemed to order with the book. That's okay - right? Oh and what size? I have the 6 qt size on my order but there's still time to change it!)

Congrats on your bread baking!!! I've been making my own bread for years, but would love to have some dough so I could make it fresh daily.

Okay, you convinced me!!!! I just bought it and a container on Amazon. (I just ordered the container that most people seemed to order with the book. That's okay - right? Oh and what size? I have the 6 qt size on my order but there's still time to change it!)

Congrats on your bread baking!!! I've been making my own bread for years, but would love to have some dough so I could make it fresh daily.

I am using a 6 qt (actually I have several 6 qts with various types of dough mixed up right now). The 6 qt works great and I actually think I could do a double batch in it.

I've been baking my own bread for about a year and thought I was doing pretty well at it. This just blows away anything I've made. If you're a more experienced baker maybe you won't be quite as impressed.

I don't think I'm going to rest until I've tried every recipe in the book:tongue_smilie:

My guys can't get enough of the semolina bread. The rye and the white with wheat bran are also lovely.

The naan made with semolina dough, though, was...odd. The book specifically says you can use that dough, but it has enough of an Italian flavor that it seemed weird with vindaloo.

My husband takes a sandwich made on a free form loaf from the basic boule recipe for his lunch nearly every day.

We use the dough for pizza.

I made the BEST cinnamon rolls by modifying the caramel pecan roll recipe.

I used the basic boule recipe to substitute for Rhodes frozen bread dough in pepperoni bread.

My family eats the bread as fast as I make it.

I think its wonderful and recommend it to everyone.

My guys can't get enough of the semolina bread. The rye and the white with wheat bran are also lovely.

The naan made with semolina dough, though, was...odd. The book specifically says you can use that dough, but it has enough of an Italian flavor that it seemed weird with vindaloo.

One of the next ones I want to try. I need to empty out a container first, though. I guess I'll have to bake another loaf;)

Yet another item I'm now going to spend my money on because of this board. :glare: You people are going to bankrupt me. It is not a good place for someone whose impulse control needs some work. :lol: Off to Amazon.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

Okay, I'm really tempted to give this a try. Would you buy the first book or the later "Healthy" Breads book? Does anyone know if the recipes will work at high altitudes? (I'm at about 6,000 ft.)

I have a friend who liked baking breads at high altitudes. She had a friend with a degree in food chemistry, or something like that, who said bread rises faster and easier at higher altitudes, due to less atmospheric pressure upon it. I bet it would work just fine. I'm at 5,000 and bake bread all of the time, though I've not tried this method.

I just started making this too. I made the best cinnamon rolls out of the Pumpkin Brioche dough. They were heavenly.

My kids ate 3 loaves of the soft white with homemade strawberry jam and Nutella for lunch today.

I bought the container from webstaurantstore.com. The bucket was 2.99, the lid was 1.19, a pizza peel for 6.79, and a french rolling pin for 4.69. I also bought some parchment paper. They might have cheap baking stones too, but I already had one. My order came right away too. It is a cheap place to get the equipment to get started. The bucket is the same Cambro one that they recommend and it is BPA free.

I have Whole Wheat Mixed Berry dough in the fridge for breakfast tomorrow.

Sheri

I own the first book and then got the Healthy one out of the library to try it first. I was very enthusiastic about the second book at first, because I much prefer whole grain breads, but I did not think that the recipes turned out particularly well. They rely heavily on vital wheat gluten, and after baking a number of loaves that way, I've concluded that vital wheat gluten just makes the bread taste 'off.'

I do, however, make the part-whole wheat breads from the first book frequently, and they come out great. I just got another book -- Artisan Breads Every Day -- which is similar in method and seems to have some good whole grain options. I also make Jim Lahey's no-work bread in a whole grain variation.

For the person who said that they couldn't get the bread to rise in the loaf pan -- use more dough. Their measurements are way off for the load breads.

For the person who said that they couldn't get the bread to rise in the loaf pan -- use more dough. Their measurements are way off for the load breads.

I concur. The first time I followed the recipe for loaf bread, I wound up with these pitifully tiny, flat loaves. Half again as much dough made lovely, normal-sized loaves.

I own the first book and then got the Healthy one out of the library to try it first. I was very enthusiastic about the second book at first, because I much prefer whole grain breads, but I did not think that the recipes turned out particularly well. They rely heavily on vital wheat gluten, and after baking a number of loaves that way, I've concluded that vital wheat gluten just makes the bread taste 'off.'

I do, however, make the part-whole wheat breads from the first book frequently, and they come out great. I just got another book -- Artisan Breads Every Day -- which is similar in method and seems to have some good whole grain options. I also make Jim Lahey's no-work bread in a whole grain variation.

Thanks! Now I've added several other titles to my wish list. :tongue_smilie:

So, how do you fix the loaf bread? Just add more dough? Or cook it less? Maybe I should visit their website for errata or start my own thread so I don't hijack this one. lol!

I got this from the library and was so sad to see you need a baking stone, which I do not own, and I think they're usually pretty expensive.:tongue_smilie:

I'm surprised so many people here have them! Maybe a good Christmas present this year for me! I will have to do some research on what kind is good.

I got this from the library and was so sad to see you need a baking stone, which I do not own, and I think they're usually pretty expensive.:tongue_smilie:

I'm surprised so many people here have them! Maybe a good Christmas present this year for me! I will have to do some research on what kind is good.

Alton Brown from Good Eats says that you can use a piece of unglazed quarry tile from the tile or hardware store as a baking stone. I think terracotta is one? We used a piece of slate for years until we moved and accidentally left it behind.

I've been through two baking stones now. I obviously need to buy better quality ones since mine keep breaking, but, I've been baking my breads and pizzas on a cookie sheet when I'm without a baking stone. They come out just fine. The baking stone is nice, but not mandatory.

Do you have a cast-iron skillet? You can turn it upside down and bake on (what is usually) the bottom.

Whoa! I've had the book for a while, but haven't baked bread yet, looking for the perfect stone. I was trying to go the Alton Brown route, with unglazed quarry tile, but it was only available as special order from Home Depot after the "specialty pizza" joint bought all their tiles :glare:. Cast-iron? Now that, I've got! Thanks for the tip.

I had a disaster when I tried to bake it in a loaf pan or on a cookie sheet. I wish I could figure that out.

I have made the standard recipe -- quite good. I bought the healthy book. I adore the carrot bread thing, to which I added candied ginger (can't remember if that was in the ingredients, but I don't thinks so), but only when cooked the same day as the dough was made. It became weirdly sourdoughish, which was not a good combo with the sweet ingredients, in my opinion. The banana bread one was really weird too. The same sour/sweet strange flavor, but I ate tons of it anyway. Ugh.

Too bad I have a big bag of vital wheat gluten in my freezer.

I had a disaster when I tried to bake it in a loaf pan or on a cookie sheet. I wish I could figure that out.

I have made the standard recipe -- quite good. I bought the healthy book. I adore the carrot bread thing, to which I added candied ginger (can't remember if that was in the ingredients, but I don't thinks so), but only when cooked the same day as the dough was made. It became weirdly sourdoughish, which was not a good combo with the sweet ingredients, in my opinion. The banana bread one was really weird too. The same sour/sweet strange flavor, but I ate tons of it anyway. Ugh.

Too bad I have a big bag of vital wheat gluten in my freezer.

Cookie sheet method is easy. Just put your formed loaves on a cookie sheet that has parchment paper and cornmeal. Works great. Don't give up!!

Margaret

My biggest problem with the technique is that I need a bigger fridge.

I have a side by side fridge and I bought (or invested, really, because they aren't cheap :glare:, but they have paid for themselves over and over again) these Oxo containers (5.5 qt size) and they fit perfectly on the door shelf that is wide enough for the milk container. I can make 1 1/2 x the recipe in these, and I don't use the tops; I just cover them with plastic wrap. I wasn't sure how all the door opening/closing activity would affect the dough, but it hasn't been a problem at all (been using them for several months). I have two so I always have dough on hand, or can make 2 different ones at once.

Regarding the pizza stone, if you have a discount cooking supply place, check there. I found great ones that had a minor flaw so ended up there as "2nds" for $15.

Edited by LauraGB

I hate shilling Martha, but she had a tutorial in one of her mags that cooked the loaf on a cast iron skillet, and covered it with a cast iron dutch oven and cranked the oven to 400, I think?

I tried it and it came out amazing. A few times a year we're able to get Terranova breads from NYC (the best breads I've had so far) and though the loaf wasn't cooked in a wood fired stove, it had the same chew as the Terranova and a deep crust.

Does this book have pretty pictures? I'm thinking of getting it for my MIL for her b-day. She really liked Pioneer Woman's cookbook. I looked at amazon's site, but didn't see any pics in it.

The pictures are beautiful. I just don't think they have enough photos. Pictures often prompt me to make things that the recipe ingredients alone wouldn't have.

I have a bunch of Pampered Chef stones and I love them. I've had some for about 14 years, and only one has ever broken. It was still under warranty, so they replaced it.

I bought (or invested, really, because they aren't cheap :glare:, but they have paid for themselves over and over again) these Oxo containers (5.5 qt size) .

I have those exact same containers, but in the smaller size. I make one batch of dough in a bowl, let it rise, then divide it into the two containers and put both in the fridge.

For whatever reason, I have found that the recipes don't work as well if I halve them, even though they say you can.

anyone make these recipes using freshly ground flour?? I love Artisan bread in 5 min a day and have had lots of success using store bought AP flour.. but we've switched to freshly ground AP flour and my breads have all flopped!!

I also don't use anything close to what they call for in salt.. maybe 1/2 to 1 tsp for the entire recipe...

I have a friend who liked baking breads at high altitudes. She had a friend with a degree in food chemistry, or something like that, who said bread rises faster and easier at higher altitudes, due to less atmospheric pressure upon it. I bet it would work just fine. I'm at 5,000 and bake bread all of the time, though I've not tried this method.

We made the basic recipe (herbed) here multiple times at high altitude (and with just a cornmealed cookie sheet) and it has turned out beautifully each time.

2745DEDA-0C72-57B3-0BF7-AAA8CBB83394

anyone make these recipes using freshly ground flour?? I love Artisan bread in 5 min a day and have had lots of success using store bought AP flour.. but we've switched to freshly ground AP flour and my breads have all flopped!!

I've had the same problem with home-ground WW flour — total flop every time. :sad: My lovely new Nutrimill is sitting in the pantry unused, so any tips would be appreciated here as well! :bigear:

Jackie

Hmmm. Maybe I shouldn't have bought the book. I grind my own wheat as well.

I've had the same problem with home-ground WW flour — total flop every time. :sad: My lovely new Nutrimill is sitting in the pantry unused, so any tips would be appreciated here as well! :bigear:

Jackie

I grind my own wheat and I love this book!! I've checked it out of the library so many times. I am getting it for Christmas and the wait is very difficult. My family loves the oatmeal bread recipe.

Using fresh ground flour takes some tweaking. I find I need to use some dough enhancer and adjust the rise time. I've had several not rise as I would like, but the taste of the bread is fabulous!