Menu

Bible Study Guide for All Ages - a few ??s

abrightmom

If you use this program can you tell me whether or not it is easy to use a version other than NIV? Would the children or I feel frustrated using a different version of the Bible?

Do you like using this program? Why or why not?

Are your children retaining Bible knowledge?

How much time are you spending with this day to day?

Are you teaching multiple ages/levels? Is any of the work independent or is it all parent led?

Thanks so much!!!!! :001_smile::001_smile:

We don't use NIV--that hasn't been an issue at all. We use New Living Translation or New International Readers Version when I read the passage to them--not my first choice for myself, but the easier versions work better as a read-aloud, in my opinion.

I do enjoy using it. The Bible teaching is solid and it brings up issues that we might not have discussed otherwise. My kids love the pages too.

Are my kids retaining Bible knowledge? Yes, but they've gone to a solid Bible teaching church twice a week since birth, and we do family devotions. So I'm not sure how much of their retention can be attributed to BSG. Most of the stories we've hit so far are ones they're already familiar with. But it does come at it from a different angle, and you can never study a Bible passage too many times. :)

The best and worst part for us is that we read directly from the Bible, and sometimes the passage is LONG. I love that my kids are hearing God's Word and not a paraphrase or a Children's Bible, but it is hard for them sometimes to listen to and comprehend a long passage.

I would say it takes us 20 minutes, twice a week. This is per lesson. Some weeks we'll do two lessons. We do the back side on the first day to reinforce the passage, and then the other side on day 2.

We are doing Beginner and Intermediate this year. Intermediate can be done independently, but my middle kids are still pretty dependent, and I would rather keep our Bible times fun and engaging and use their other subjects to push them to be more independent. :)

We use the KJV and it is not an issue. I ask the review questions for that day and then we read the scriptures together. Then we do that day's questions and add any timeline figures. Some days I have them do a notbook page to go along. All in all it takes us about 30 minutes a lesson unless we get into a really deep discussion. Also my girls are 7, 10, and 11 and this program works great! They are learning alot and more than just the basic stories.

Ladies,

This is helpful!! KJV is my first choice so I am happy to hear that the Bible translation won't be an issue.

Can you tell me what items are needed? I'll spend more time on the website but I was easily overwhelmed by all of the components. :D They all look neat but it's not obvious to me what is necessary to implement the study for 1st - 3rd grade range.

:001_smile:Thank-you for your help here!!

All we have is the binder. Some people prefer the worksheets. It's really up to you. The binder makes it simple with all the review questions listed. They do have a great timeline but we already have one up and just add to it as we go. I also just print off notebook pages for them. So really all you need is the binder and a Bible.

Edited by thowell
Still can't type!

All we have is the binder. Some people prefer the worksheets. It's really up to you. The binder makes it simple with all the review questions listed. They do have a great timeline but we already have one up and just add to it as we go. I also just print off notebook pages for them. So really all you need is the binder and a Bible.

This helps! What notebook pages are you referring to? :001_smile:

Ladies,

This is helpful!! KJV is my first choice so I am happy to hear that the Bible translation won't be an issue.

Can you tell me what items are needed? I'll spend more time on the website but I was easily overwhelmed by all of the components. :D They all look neat but it's not obvious to me what is necessary to implement the study for 1st - 3rd grade range.

:001_smile:Thank-you for your help here!!

All the Bible helps come in both KJV and NIV. If you wanted to use another version and you wanted to use the helps then you might run into problems. My guess is most people can make due with the Bible helps in one or the other and just want to read from an simpler translation (like Rosy).

Love the program because it is easy to use, and doesn't indoctrinate. It is an nontraditional inductive approach. The nontraditional part is because it doesn't go straight though the Bible like traditional inductive.

The review questions help keep the stories fresh in the mind. The program also uses them when transitioning from say NT to OT. It will cover questions that run up to the section you are going to switch to, so when you switch you aren't doing it cold.

Time is hard to say. My dd and I read the passage separately (my younger children are still using story Bibles, and my 2nd dd is about to join us but has another book to finish up first). I do it as part of my daily devotions, which I would do anyway, just out of a different place if I am not doing BSGFAA. When we sit down together we review the books of the Bible (the only helps part that I am using-the rest is good but takes too much time), then we do the question that are review and finish with the current questions and application. It probably takes about 10 mins total.

The what to buy question is up to you.

I just buy the TM. My kids tend to be dysgraphic (writing dyslexia), so they wouldn't enjoy the activity books. I do know people who don't buy the TM and just use the activity books. I know people who buy both. It really is up to you. I imagine though that you would need the TM if you want to do the review questions, and that IMO, is a big part of the comprehension piece.

I love the mapping, but it also has a lot of review. We did it for a while then dropped it. TOG has more than enough mapping to have us covered.

Timeline I also don't worry about because TOG has it covered. If you are concerned these pieces would be better covered on their own rather than with your history, then feel free to buy those components.

They sell all the helps printed on cardstock, I believe. We use so little of them that it wasn't worth the cost.

If I feel like using music I just find something we already own, I didn't buy their CD, but my dh has all our CD's ripped onto the computer for easy and quick access. :D

I believe there are the Bible cards as well, each overview a book of the Bible. These are geared to older children, if I remember right and I am considering those, but haven't needed them.

Last they have the cardstock picture cards for classroom use. You will get regular paper copies in you TM, so unless you are partial to cardstock, you don't need them.

Heather

So glad you started this thread Katrina! I was just coming to search the forum for info regarding BSGFAA.

Thanks for all the input so far but I have another question.... I read that the BSG includes both OT and NT in the same units. Is this an issue if you're studying history chronologically?

I haven't found it to be an issue...but I'm not strict on chronologies. There's a timeline on the worksheets and I think if you're doing logic stage history, you could incorporate the Biblical timeline into the rest of your history. I just tell the kids "that's when Abraham was alive" when we get to the corresponding point.