Menu

New At Homeschooling

Guest manimanjariv

Guest manimanjariv

Hi All,

I am new at homeschooling and wish to know what subjects everyone is doing for KG level. My daughter is able to solve the KG level math books that are available in Sams club. Do we need to do the Singapore math too.

How do I teach her calender reading and also clock reading. Do share your views and ideas.

Welcome to homeschooling.

I do not know what the KG levels are. We love Singapore MAth. Other people do other things.

I bought a magnetic calendar and this is how my dd learned about the calnedar, and a plastic clock with gears to coordinate the 2 arms, and told her o'clock, half past, etc... MAde sure she knew 60 mins in an hour.

Have fun!

Hello and welcome!

I'm not knocking Singapore but there are soooooo many math programs out there to choose from. Don't relegate yourself to one just because that seems to be the one that is the most popular. I would spend some time trying to decide what your child's learning style is before I jumped into purchasing a formal curriculum. You can try Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks to get a good idea of learning styles and also hundreds of different curriculums. Here is her website.http://www.cathyduffyreviews.com/

You can do a search here to look for threads about what others are doing for K if you want to get a better idea of course of study for K. Here is what came up when I just entered "Kindergarten".http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/search.php?searchid=6035002

Good luck and have fun!

Hi All,

I am new at homeschooling and wish to know what subjects everyone is doing for KG level. My daughter is able to solve the KG level math books that are available in Sams club. Do we need to do the Singapore math too.

How do I teach her calender reading and also clock reading. Do share your views and ideas.

Hello and welcome to homeschooling!

In K I try to keep it simple.

I do phonics, writing, Bible, a read aloud and math. BTW I prefer Right Start math over Singapore in K -same philosophy but more kid friendly and Right Start teaches calenders, clock and money with great hands on manipulatives.

Because I read science and history to everyone they also catch some of those, but I allow them to play at something while in the same room. For my ds that is bouncing on my exercise ball, and for my 3rd dd is was making a craft. Both still picked up bits and pieces with they were young.

Heather

When my daughter was in K, we kept it short and sweet. She did A Reason for Handwriting, RS Math A (2 - 3 times a week since there are only 60 lessons), Funnix for learning to read and she listened in on SL 1. So maybe one hour of seatwork and about 30 minutes of listening to me read.

I really feel I did things right for that kid. My poor son was working for hours a day at K level since he was my oldest and I just didn't know any better.

Lisa