Menu

Macaroni & Cheese recipe?

Hello!

Here's a new one---does anyone know how to make homemade mac & cheese that tastes like box mac & cheese? I know, you're thinking, "Who on earth would want that?" My strange children, that's who. (I say that lovingly.) I've tried to make macaroni & cheese from scratch, but they don't like it. I also hate them eating all the junk that comes in box mac & cheese.

I know, I should just man up and make them eat the stuff that's good for them. But I have to pick my battles and that's not one I'm choosing to fight, you know? Besides, I'm looking at this like a culinary challenge--I know there's a recipe somewhere!

Come on---help a fellow mom out!

Well, I have a crockpot recipe for Mac & Cheese. My 10yo just made it for tonite's meal. It's not quite as good as the one I make with a white sauce and then bake in the oven, but my kids will eat it and go back for seconds! I like the fact I make it from scratch so I know what is in it.

If you have the Fix It and Forget It cookbook it is in there. If not I can type it for you.

Linda

Well, I have a crockpot recipe for Mac & Cheese. My 10yo just made it for tonite's meal. It's not quite as good as the one I make with a white sauce and then bake in the oven, but my kids will eat it and go back for seconds! I like the fact I make it from scratch so I know what is in it.

If you have the Fix It and Forget It cookbook it is in there. If not I can type it for you.

Linda

I would love it if you could post the recipe. Impressive that your 10yo made it. I read things like this and know that I need to have our kids help out more.

Lesley

Hey, I hope you get a recipe! If you get one elsewhere, will you share it with me?

Neither my daughter nor I like baked mac n cheese. It's too dry, I think. We'd love a recipe that is creamy instead. I'd like one that is made with wholesome/whole food ingredients, too. ;)

If you're into it, I had one at a potluck once that you might like to try. It was the easiest possible recipe. Cook macaroni, drain, set aside. Meanwhile, melt Velveeta cheese and a generous splash of milk. Combine pasta and velveeta. I did try it. I didn't measure or anything and when she gave me the "recipe" she didn't provide any measurements. It was creamy and my daughter liked it okay but I didn't like the velveeta taste.

Linda

If it's not too much trouble, it would be great if you could post it. (I don't have that cookbook.) Slow cooking + mac & cheese might be the perfect combination!

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! Keep 'em coming!

My kids like the Kraft stuff but I found they were much more likely to go for mine if I left out the onion and dry mustard, then just spooned the topping over their bowl of macaroni, just like they do at Noodles. After melting in the cheese, I do usually heat it well to make it creamy.

Nothing fancy here, just the usual stuff. :)

Macaroni & Cheese

1 ½ cup uncooked macaroni

3 T butter

2 T flour

½ tsp salt

Dash white pepper

2 C milk

2 c (8 oz) mild cheddar cheese

I'm with Pippen. If we're in the mood for a creamy, gooey mess, then I make the sauce from scratch and pour it over the noodles, without baking it afterwards. The bonus is that it's ready faster. Experiment with different cheeses - a bit of mozzerella tends to make it gooey-er. I like the mini-shells for this version, like the pasta that comes with Annie's. For parties, I have put all this into the crock pot (after it's prepared), not to cook but to keep it warm once prepared. It goes over well.

A bit of mustard powder (or prepared mustard if you don't have powder) makes the flavor "pop" - but don't use so much that you taste it. Some garlic, onion, and celery, diced finely and sauteed in the oil/butter before you add the flour, gives a more complex flavor, but may be best left out for the taste you're going for.

We also like the baked - this time I topped it with Panko breadcrumbs and it was wonderful.

AND we're fans of Annie's too!

We don't like the Trader Joe's version of Annie's - it just isn't cheesy enough.

I doctor my Annies with added diced tomatoes, and/or tabuleah, and/or canned salmon. Nice for a take-along lunch. (For me - the kiddos wouldn't touch it like this.)

Here's the recipe

Macaroni and Cheese

8-oz. pkg. dry macaroni, cooked

2 Tbsp. oil

13-oz. can evaporated milk

1 1/2 cups milk

1 tsp. salt

3 cups shredded cheese : cheddar, American, Velveeta, or a combination

2-4 Tbsp. melted butter

2 Tbsp. onion, chopped fine (I sometimes just use onion powder and make a guess as I sprinkle it in)

In a slow cooker, toss macaroni in oil. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover, cook on low 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.

Enjoy!

Linda

Hello!

Here's a new one---does anyone know how to make homemade mac & cheese that tastes like box mac & cheese?

Come on---help a fellow mom out!

Buy this:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/vermont-cheese-powder-8-oz

REALLLY-- it's worth EVERY penny! It's delicious, and easy to make mac and cheese that tastes boxed with just some milk and butter.

Added bonus: It's AMAZING on popcorn! :-)

astrid

I think a lot of kids prefer the box to the homemade. I heard that in an interview Mario Batali said that he made boxed mac and cheese for his kids. He said that when they get older he'll make the good stuff, but it was a pick your battles kind of thing. Anyway the thought of a famous chef having to make boxed mac and cheese is amusing. (Hey mom I can cook like those fancy chefs on tv).