Menu

How difficult would Omnibus III be to do w/o VP class?

This course in on our short list for 9th grade next year. I'm not sure that we can afford the online classes, but they do look good. Assuming that I cannot afford the class, what will it like to do this at home on our own? If we can afford one of the classes, primary or secondary, which one would be better to have the help with?

Omnibus is fairly straightforward to teach, so I'd say you'll do fine without the class. There is a plan for every day--questions to answer, readings divided into days, writing assignments, etc.

I used Omni I and II my first two years as a homeschooler; I found lots of hand-holding necessary at the time, and Omnibus was good at that.

If I were doing III, I'd probably like the class for the primary reading--but I'm not 100% on that. How familiar are you with the primary and secondary works? That might determine which class would be most helpful.

Thanks, Heather. Maybe you could help me with this question too since it looks like you might have a similar situation next year. Would it be possible to do I and III next year with a 7th and 9th grader? Combining for anything has never worked well around here, so they are on different topics this year anyway.

Thanks, Heather. Maybe you could help me with this question too since it looks like you might have a similar situation next year. Would it be possible to do I and III next year with a 7th and 9th grader? Combining for anything has never worked well around here, so they are on different topics this year anyway.

I'm so sorry I didn't get back to this. We don't combine either. It just doesn't work for us so yes I will be doing Omni I and Omni V next year. I will probably enroll my youngest in at least the Primary class but that is more because she seems to really be thriving by taking history online. I have never been able to light that fire with her but the online class she is taking now (VP's history survey/transition) has her just loving every minute of it so I will probably continue with her. However, if I wasn't going to, I would still do both Omni I and V in the same year. The biggest thing is to schedule discussion time with each student. Frankly I don't read all the books. I just don't have time. But between what the TM has and occasionally looking things up on the net (I do have familiarity with many of the books) I haven't had a problem with discussions or grading the papers and questions. I have no doubt that the online class does it better than me but I know that my daughter is learning a ton and really developing great thinking skills so I can't be doing all bad. :-)

Heather