Menu

No offense to anyone who likes store bought white bread

but yuck!

For the first time in what has to be years I made a sandwich with store bought white bread. I usually eat 12-grain if I have store bought. I was out of bread and really wanted a PB&J. So I used dh's white bread.

It felt like I was eating a sponge.

I've got the heat on today. It is time to bake some bread.

I guess I'll be the lone dissenter. I like the stuff. I don't like the heavy multigrain breads; I prefer the light and fluffy white bread. (I also like other kinds of breads and rolls, but nothing that's super-heavy, because the very dense breads seem to sit like a rock in my stomach.)

And yes, I know it's not good for me, but neither are Doritos, and I like those, too! ;)

Cat

I guess I'll be the lone dissenter. I like the stuff. I don't like the heavy multigrain breads; I prefer the light and fluffy white bread. (I also like other kinds of breads and rolls, but nothing that's super-heavy, because the very dense breads seem to sit like a rock in my stomach.)

And yes, I know it's not good for me, but neither are Doritos, and I like those, too! ;)

Cat

Dh would agree with you. I have to buy the Wonder bread for him. He will eat homemade white which is heavier than store bought, but it isn't his favorite.

I love homemade white... and wheat, and grain, and there goes my butt widening a little bit more.

Cat

:iagree: Ain't that the skippy truth!!

I love homemade white... and wheat, and grain, and there goes my butt widening a little bit more.

LOL!!!

I like homemade white, French, and Italian breads, but don't care for the whole grain varieties, especially any kind that have little "crunchy bits" in them. I like light wheat bread, but suspect that it's secretly white bread with some caramel coloring in it... ;)

Cat

I carve out one exception for white-bread. That is sitting on the curb outside a a BBQ shack with wood-smoke in ones nostrils and a plate of sliced beef piled high on top of a slice of that while bread and the whole lot slathered in spicy BBQ sauce.

Mmmm.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Cat

:iagree:

I get the Healthy Lifestyle diet breads, and I always get the white. And, I like Doritos, too!

No offense to anyone who likes store bought bread of any kind... you really should buy Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day and you will never, ever be able to eat store bought bread again.

Sorry if I offend,

Margaret

No offense taken, Margaret!

Does it really only take 5 minutes a day? I'm thinking there must be a catch somewhere. I can barely make a cup of tea in 5 minutes, so I'm suspicious. :tongue_smilie:

Cat

but yuck!

For the first time in what has to be years I made a sandwich with store bought white bread. I usually eat 12-grain if I have store bought. I was out of bread and really wanted a PB&J. So I used dh's white bread.

It felt like I was eating a sponge.

I've got the heat on today. It is time to bake some bread.

Store bought white bread is only good for BLT's and Thanksgiving Turkey & Miracle Whip (only good for THIS particular sandwich) sandwiches. Give me a multi-grain any other day of the week.

Store bought white bread is only good for BLT's and Thanksgiving Turkey & Miracle Whip (only good for THIS particular sandwich) sandwiches. Give me a multi-grain any other day of the week.

OK, now I'm carving out 2 exemptions (or is that 3? :D).

I would demand Mayo over Miracle Whip (do I see a "spin-off" thread coming? :tongue_smilie:)

Bill

Miracle Whip is only good in tuna salad. Mayo, OTOH, is purely horrible in or on anything.

I do not like floppy white bread at all. The males in this family act like it is manna from heaven. I don't buy it -- they can walk 12 or 15 miles to the grocery store if they want it that badly. :D

I will buy the dense white bread -- if I can find it here -- because even I like that for grilled cheese sandwiches and French toast.

As for homemade bread, I was the only one who liked the 5 minutes a day recipe, and I despise the Amish white bread recipe -- so I'm still looking for a white bread recipe that has both density and flavor, without even a hint of sourdough flavor.

And that is my Very Opinionated Opinion for the Day.

RC

Guest ME-Mommy
No offense to anyone who likes store bought bread of any kind... you really should buy Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day and you will never, ever be able to eat store bought bread again.

Sorry if I offend,

Margaret

:iagree:

Miracle Whip - gag!

Everyone knows Duke's Mayo is the *only* way to go.

Oh, dear...you need an intervention! :eek:

Real mayo is like white vomit....sorry for the visual...:tongue_smilie:

ETA: white bread is tolerated at times here...I have to toast it in order to actually ingest it though...

Homemade honey wheat...made with Prairie Gold white wheat is *the* best bread I have ever, in my life, eaten.

Edited by 3blessingmom

Well, the problem is, you're not supposed to eat it with anything but bologna & mayo. Or better yet, Spam! Oh the good old days of eating that stuff without regard for fat, calories & who knows what else...

I used to eat wonder bread with mayo, cheese and liverwurst :leaving::blink:

I love Wonder White! Fluffy and wonderful for grill cheese sandwiches. :001_smile:

I agree with this and I LOVE white bread toast...to me it is just not the same as toasting wheat bread...but I also like homemade white bread toast. What I can't stand is seeds in my bread...or any bread that is so heavy and hearty that it feels like a rock....can't eat it...no matter how healthy it is for me...my kids are the same....my husband likes heavy, seedy whole grain bread anyday with anything.

I carve out one exception for white-bread. That is sitting on the curb outside a a BBQ shack with wood-smoke in ones nostrils and a plate of sliced beef piled high on top of a slice of that while bread and the whole lot slathered in spicy BBQ sauce.

Mmmm.

Bill

:iagree:Oh yeah! Bill, you KNOW how to eat! BBQ just like that is my favorite food. Just the other day I told my kids to serve BBQ at my funeral. Not that I'm planning on having one anytime soon.

Hmm, maybe I should try baking my own. Haven't done that since i helped Mom as a kid.

What's the best way to get started? The easier the better, if this is to become a routine part of our lives. What would you suggest?

Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. It's very, very easy and tastes great. Go for it!

Margaret

We've gotten the same way with salt and a lot of processed foods. Two weeks with very little salt, mostly raw veggies and no processed foods made for one of the worst restaurant experiences of our lives.

I know! We took a small trip to the mountains a few days ago and found ourselves hungry and too far from our cabin. So, we stopped at what looked like a decent mom and pop type place. Well, it was nasty. I'm sure that I wouldn't have even noticed 5 years ago, but I mostly eat raw food too and very few grains. Well that was it. Never again. From now on I'd rather sit in the car with a jar of peanut butter than eat at another bad restaurant. And it's expensive! 3 kids that order off an adult menu + 2 adults = $50+ at even bad restaurants.

Margaret

I know! We took a small trip to the mountains a few days ago and found ourselves hungry and too far from our cabin. So, we stopped at what looked like a decent mom and pop type place. Well, it was nasty. I'm sure that I wouldn't have even noticed 5 years ago, but I mostly eat raw food too and very few grains. Well that was it. Never again. From now on I'd rather sit in the car with a jar of peanut butter than eat at another bad restaurant. And it's expensive! 3 kids that order off an adult menu + 2 adults = $50+ at even bad restaurants.

Margaret

We had to eat out twice :glare: Friday was a woohoo let's eat out fiasco at Applebee's (keep the laughter down please), but Saturday we got lost between WVA and Winchester searching for an orchard that I still think only exists in my sister's imagination. Five and a half hours of driving, we went back to the interstate and found a Cracker Barrel. We spent WAY to much money and the food there (at least edible) was still pretty gross.