Menu

One upmanship

Reading one of the FB peeve threads, AuntieM was made about one-upping folks. I got to thinking..wondering if I do that.

Often, if I'm talking with a friend, and they share something, I might share that I had a similar thing happen, but not intending for it to be "yeah - I can top that", but "yeah, I understand because ____ happened to me, too". And I wonder if it comes off to others as sometimes trying to "TOP THAT".

It's one of those reflective moments in a brief bit of quiet I have in the house at the moment while the boys are finishing up their pyramid LOL

I like her advice "Rejoice with those who rejoice, grieve with those who grieve" and keep your extraneous comments to yourself. Good goal for the week :)

I think there's a big difference between commiserating with someone and one-upping them. My husband often does the latter. If I say I have a headache, he will respond with, "You?! My head is about to cleave in two!" okaaay... But having someone say, "I'm sorry. I get horrible headaches, too," somehow helps me feel better; it's the old misery loves company thing.

I think there's a big difference between commiserating with someone and one-upping them. My husband often does the latter. If I say I have a headache, he will respond with, "You?! My head is about to cleave in two!" okaaay... But having someone say, "I'm sorry. I get horrible headaches, too," somehow helps me feel better; it's the old misery loves company thing.

Exactly. I have one friend who will commiserate with me and one who will always try to 'go one better.' I know who I call when things get tough. :glare:

Exactly. I also try to make someone's joy solely about them - not "Oh, congratulations! I remember when I found out I was having a baby, I was so... blah blah blah."

I have a friend who is pregnant, and posted on fb that she was sad, b/c her mother is living overseas right now, and won't be able to be at the birth. She had at least three "friends" chastise her, because after all, at least her mother was /alive/.

Reading one of the FB peeve threads, AuntieM was made about one-upping folks. I got to thinking..wondering if I do that.

Often, if I'm talking with a friend, and they share something, I might share that I had a similar thing happen, but not intending for it to be "yeah - I can top that", but "yeah, I understand because ____ happened to me, too". And I wonder if it comes off to others as sometimes trying to "TOP THAT".

It's one of those reflective moments in a brief bit of quiet I have in the house at the moment while the boys are finishing up their pyramid LOL

I like her advice "Rejoice with those who rejoice, grieve with those who grieve" and keep your extraneous comments to yourself. Good goal for the week :)

I know! I do the same thing! I go on and on and then realize what I'm doing but still can't stop. I just can't believe I do that!

:001_smile:

Seriously, I do have to check myself. I mean for it to be, "Yes, I know what you mean and can relate" but I think it does sometimes come across as one-upping and self-centered.