Menu

Favorite High School (with math) Chemistry?

We are using Spectrum Chem this year, and my son and I both really like it. The lessons are short and to the point. We are on Lesson 14 (out of 65). So far, what I like most about the course is how it develops conceptual understanding. The student definitely uses math, too, but the emphasis is on understanding. A huge part of the course is the 30 labs that come with it.

My son is also in the 9th grade and doing Algebra 2 this year. Math has not been an issue. We didn't get the Bridge Math they recommend, and so far, we haven't needed it. The streamlined approach is really, really important for me. My son is currently going through the puberty brain-fog, so I appreciate that he can get the concepts and understanding without a lot of extras. He will likely take another Chem course later in high school, either AP Chem or possibly Chem at the local CC, so this won't be his last course.

I've not tried Prentice Hall, so I can't comment there, but I have used Apologia with my older son and would not recommend that.

Best wishes at finding a good match for your student,

Brenda