Menu

How did you teach your child to tie his/her shoes?

We used the old-school method: buy the lace up shoes, hide the flip-flops, make the child help every time, and don't look back.

At first I only required that they cross the laces of one shoe, then both, then "Just try" making a loop, etc. If they protested, I just sat on my hands and tried to look patient (while screaming inside, "just hurry up already!") while making a mental note to schedule in more time for transitions the next day. There is very little that you really need to worry about be a few min late for.

It took a while, but the regular practice eventually paid off.

We used the old-school method: buy the lace up shoes, hide the flip-flops, make the child help every time, and don't look back.

At first I only required that they cross the laces of one shoe, then both, then "Just try" making a loop, etc. If they protested, I just sat on my hands and tried to look patient (while screaming inside, "just hurry up already!") while making a mental note to schedule in more time for transitions the next day. There is very little that you really need to worry about be a few min late for.

:iagree:

:iagree:

This is how I taught my oldest at around 5. As soon as he could do it well on his own, I started having him tie his younger brothers' shoes as well. He taught his siblings to tie their shoes when he got tired of tying them for them, so I guess his advice would actually be better than mine since it occurs to me now that he has taught more kids to tie shoes than I have. :tongue_smilie:

"I started incorporating it into our daily schooling. It took a few weeks but... now she can do it."

:iagree:Same here.

We were given a puzzle that we practiced on as part of school work and after a week or two, my daughter started trying to do it on her shoes by herself.

Here's a blog post about it. It shows the puzzle we used.

http://www.veronicaboulden.com/2009/07/norah-tied-her-shoes-for-first-time.html

Edited by VBoulden

Ever hear Ernie (Sesame St) sing "Lonesome Joan?"

"You're an 80 year old woman - time to learn to tie your shoes!":lol:

I did the same as others have mentioned, and only used tie shoes until they had it mastered. Late age 5 or 6.

Try this website for an easy method:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/ianknot.htm

Have FUN!

Edited by NCW

Make certain you are sitting next to her, not in front of her as you teach. Otherwise, she is seeing it as if in a mirror. My Mom tried to teach me for a long time, but she's a lefty, and I couldn't get it. My friend eventually showed me how. Orientation is important.

:iagree: I had to teach my lefty the two bunny ears way because otherwise it was too confusing with us using different hands (and I still can't teach her to use chopsticks to save my life, lol)

I also had her practice initially on MY shoes, because the laces are much longer and it was easier for her to be able to start with big bows than the more finicky little ones.

My dd never tired of practicing tying bows with this book by Usborne: http://www.amazon.com/Tie-Bow-Book-Farmyard-Tales/dp/0746047282/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286976891&sr=8-1-fkmr1.

She learned to tie her shoes MUCH earlier than I expected as a result.

Oh, that book looks adorable. Maybe I will get it for my granddaughter but she is still a little young for it.

If you have children older than this one, have him or her tie their shoes. It's great incentive and gives them a real boost. My dd was tying her friends' shoes all the time. The mothers would ask to do it, but they said they wanted her to do it instead. :lol:

When you show her how to tie, stand or sit behind her so she's looking at the tying from the same perspective you are. Otherwise, everything looks backwards to them iykwim.