Menu

I don't get loop scheduling?

thowell

I have read the threads on this and I am still confused. Here's the thing. Although we have tried several schedule types, thing like history, science, and art always get pushed back. We do math, bible, spelling, and grammar/writing everyday. That usually takes from around 9:00-2:00 daily with about 45 minutes to an hour break for lunch. After this we are all tired and normally don't get to the other things. Can someone give me an example of how you set up a loop schedule and what it looks like. For instance when it says to complete all math before you move on to the next subject, is this all for the week or daily. Do you set a time limit on these things and then move on? As you can see I am confused and looking for something that will help our days flow better. My girls really love history, science, art, and music and we are missing them. I would also like to add in typing and a foreign language but can't seem to find the time.

The way I did it was that there were certain subjects that we did every day, in our case it was Bible and Math. Those two subjects were the first two we did everyday, after that, I listed the other subjects in a certain order and the kids would work through their list until a certain time (say 2 p.m.) completing just the next assignment. If the next assignment took them 20 minutes or 1 hour, it didn't matter, they then moved onto the next assignment. At 2 p.m. we were done, they marked their schedule as to the last subject they had worked on. The next morning, we did out "non-negotiable" subjects of Bible and math and then they picked up the "loop" by working on the next subject (the next one on their list that hadn't been covered the day before). We would just keep cycling through the list. The advantage for us was that the loop didn't allow us to neglect one particular subject for weeks on end.

HTH

Do you set a time limit on these things and then move on? .

Yes we do, and it works for us.

Bible 30 minutes

Math 30-40 minutes

English Writing and Grammar 10-20 min.

and so on.

There is a marge she has to stay in.

We start at 8.30 with a 30 minute break at 10.00

End at 12.00 for lunch (and coffee for me :-) start again at 13.30 until 15.00

On wednessday we work only until 12.00.

The way I did it was that there were certain subjects that we did every day, in our case it was Bible and Math. Those two subjects were the first two we did everyday, after that, I listed the other subjects in a certain order and the kids would work through their list until a certain time (say 2 p.m.) completing just the next assignment. If the next assignment took them 20 minutes or 1 hour, it didn't matter, they then moved onto the next assignment. At 2 p.m. we were done, they marked their schedule as to the last subject they had worked on. The next morning, we did out "non-negotiable" subjects of Bible and math and then they picked up the "loop" by working on the next subject (the next one on their list that hadn't been covered the day before). We would just keep cycling through the list. The advantage for us was that the loop didn't allow us to neglect one particular subject for weeks on end.

HTH

How do you do the loop with subjects they do together? History, science, music, and art we all do together. I can see the loop for independent wotk such as math and grammar but can't figure out how this would work for the others.

Ok tell me if this is correct. Let's say I want Bible and math completed everyday. I leave those out of the loop then in order of importance I loop, Spelling, Grammar, History, Science, Art and do those in order stop wherever we are at the end of the day and the next day after they have finished their Bible and math we start the loop again where we left off. Is this correct? Do you just decide what time you want to stop everyday and stop then?

I am considering doing a double-loop type schedule--let's say, a couple of everyday subjects first, then a loop with 4 or 5 subjects that I want done at least twice a week (scheduled so we could get through 2 a day

), then a loop with things that don't matter very much to me if they only happen once a week or so. Do you think this could work?

--Sarah