Menu

MCT Writing..Is there any actual writing involved?

ShutterBug

The recent MCT threads got me curious and I was browsing through the MCT language arts curriculum on their website.

I was looking specifically at "Paragraph Town". There were loads of sample pages to browse through. They had a lovely story with two ducks hopping around on rooftops talking about how to write a paragraph....but as far as I could see, no actual writing assignments.

Is it just the sample choice? Are there actual writing assignments? On average, how much actual writing is done with this curriculum over a week?

Thanks!

Jenn

Is it just the sample choice? Are there actual writing assignments? On average, how much actual writing is done with this curriculum over a week?

Yes, it's just the sample choice (which I think is very poorly chosen). There are 20 assignments in the teacher section in the back, 10 to be done while reading the book, 10 to be done after reading it (but referencing back to specific parts of the book). The second 10 especially are quite meaty.

With MCT (the 1st level is the one with the childish font), it's giving her semi-structured assignments. In lesson 1 of PT, it discusses analysis. It gives a scenerio where you have to categorize details. It asks six different questions to further organize these thoughts. It goes on to ask you which details do you think are the most important. The name of this lesson is "Parts of Speech", so you're getting the grammar. Some of that portion is busywork for my dd, but it does include phrases and clauses and she's not 100% on those.

Lesson 2 is called "Parts of the Sentence". More grammar analysis. Then, you get to do some brainstorming. More organizing facts. Now you get to make a list of statements including those facts. Some discussion. At this point you haven't put a paragraph together. Skipping around, lesson 4 focuses on subject/verb agreement. Lesson 5, you get to mess around with Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. Lesson 8, you get to write some descriptive paragraphs. They get increasingly more, I don't want to say difficult, but progressive. There are 20 lessons.

Okay. Here's a really brief rundown of some of the assignments. .

I think you could, but all the components play off each other, so you may wonder why he uses certain words or examples. He likes to reinforce vocabulary that way. The writing books reiterate the grammar that is covered in the grammar books and goes more in depth. That's my opinion on Town and Voyage. I may change my mind at the Magic Lens level. :D

If there was a book I had to choose, it would be the writing.