Menu

I just realized something about old songs...

How about the Jethro Tull classic album "Aqualung" with its letcherous pedophile and willing victim (Cross-eyed Mary)?

[lyrics deleted on re-consideration]

Bill

Yes, that one really and truly makes me sick. Imagine my "delight" when I hear it blaring from our television one day while my 3 kids are rocking out with Rockband 2 :ack2: :angry:

Gross, vile song.

Yeah, I really thought Melanie's "Brand New Key" was about rollerskates until my oh-so-clever daughter informed me otherwise. Just never thought about it that way, iykwim. :D

Oh no.. I was named for this singer, and my Dad always sung a line from this song when explaining it. I'm not sure I want to go look for the lyrics. :lol:

When I was a young teen I used to listen to Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show on my headset as I fell asleep. I kid you not. For those of you that aren't familiar with this lovely body of work, go ahead and Google lyrics for Freakers Ball or Penicillin Penny. Nothing on that album is fit for posting here, or I'd share. :blink:

I also performed a lip sync to Streetheart's Snow White at the local high school when I was about 10 or 11 years old. I cannot believe our parents allowed that, or that my high school aged aunt was in the audience with her friends screaming and hollering and cheering us on. I really hope no one video taped it. :tongue_smilie:

Sometimes I remind myself that I survived all of this and managed to become a fine, upstanding citizen, so my kids won't be harmed by the occasional radio in the car!

I think even The Police said they couldn't believe how many people think it's a "love song".

Motley Crue came out with one 'You're All I Need' - a HUGELY dark song. Jon Bon Jovi told them it was the perfect love ballad. Nikki Sixx told him to read the lyrics.

So it's not just us who don't 'hear' the words. LOL

Oh yeah. I had Angel of the Morning on '45. Sadly, it is lost now. :laugh:

Here is one I had to gently explain to my oldest son when he was asking- just what does this song mean anyway?- an older teen at the time...(then his face :blushing: )

I'm glad you're home

Now did you really miss meI

guess you did by the look in your eyes (look in your eyes, look in your eyes)

Well lay back and relax while I put away the dishes (put away the dishes)

Then you and me can rock-a-bye

You can ring my belll,

ring my bell

You can ring my belll,

ring my bell

You can ring my belll,

ring my bell

You can ring my belll,

ring my bell

The night is young and full of possibilities

Well come on and let yourself be free

My love for you, so long than I've been savin'

Tonight was made for me and you

You can ring my belll, ring my bell

You can ring my bellll, ring my bell

you can ring my bell,

you can ring my bell

you can ring my bell,

you can ring my bell(ding, dong, ding, do-ong, ring it!)

you can ring my bell, anytime, anyway(ring it, ring it, ring it, ring it oww!)

you can ring my bell, anytime, anywayyou can ring my bell,

you can ring my bell(ding, dong, ding, do-ong)you can ring my bell,

you can ring my bell(ding, dong, ding, do-ong, ring it!)

you can ring my bell, anytime, anyway(ring it, ring it, ring it, ring it oww!)

you can ring my bell, anytime, anyway(ding, dong, ding, do-ong)

Edited by jazzyfizzle

My 14yo dd and I were looking through a book about fashion from the 50's and she absolutely fell in love with a dress that she insists will be her prom dress in a few years, if she can get grandma to make it.:001_smile:

I love lots of kinds of music. All sorts of songs. Metal, pop, whatever.

But, at heart, the music that I love the best, the absolute best, is music from the 50's. It took me a long time to figure out why, and I think it's because most of it (but not all) is innocent. If there is anything un-innocent in it, it's usually carefully hidden. And I'm just Pollyanna enough that I like the innocence of it.

Only my husband knows this about me. I won't tell anyone IRL because, honestly--who likes stuff from the 50's? Only nerds! I don't want anyone to know I'm a nerd!

once I was playing my Police cd and when "Every Breath you Take" came on, my teen dd said "Wow, mom, what a stalker song". I had never thought of it that way, but now I do every time I hear it.

And I still want to know what the pompatus of love is....

Another one I crack up over is The Police 'Every Breath You Take'. It's stalker city. Ditto 'Layla' by Derek and The Dominoes (Clapton). :lol:

I think even The Police said they couldn't believe how many people think it's a "love song".

I had to go find the quote and post it here. I remembered hearing it, but wanted to make sure I didn't misquote him.

In a 1983 interview with the New Musical Express, Sting explained: "I think it's a nasty little song, really rather evil. It's about jealousy and surveillance and ownership." Regarding the common misinterpretation of the song, he added: "I think the ambiguity is intrinsic in the song however you treat it because the words are so sadistic. On one level, it's a nice long song with the classic relative minor chords, and underneath there's this distasteful character talking about watching every move. I enjoy that ambiguity. I watched Andy Gibb singing it with some girl on TV a couple of weeks ago, very loving, and totally misinterpreting it. (Laughter) I could still hear the words, which aren't about love at all. I pissed myself laughing."

Oh yeah, I never understood that as a kid!

I had to go find the quote and post it here. I remembered hearing it, but wanted to make sure I didn't misquote him.

In a 1983 interview with the New Musical Express, Sting explained: "I think it's a nasty little song, really rather evil. It's about jealousy and surveillance and ownership." Regarding the common misinterpretation of the song, he added: "I think the ambiguity is intrinsic in the song however you treat it because the words are so sadistic. On one level, it's a nice long song with the classic relative minor chords, and underneath there's this distasteful character talking about watching every move. I enjoy that ambiguity. I watched Andy Gibb singing it with some girl on TV a couple of weeks ago, very loving, and totally misinterpreting it. (Laughter) I could still hear the words, which aren't about love at all. I pissed myself laughing."

Oh yeah, I never understood that as a kid!

Oh, that is hilarious!

I never understood the lyrics either (I didn't care for the song back in the day) until 4 or 5 years ago and a lightbulb went on. Yikes.

Oh, what a night,

When I was in college, DH was in a brass quintet that performed during the Easter Vigil at the campus religious center. The first year I went, I dragged my roommate and THAT was how the minister started his sermon. "I was listening to the radio, and a song came on. It starts out 'Oh, what a night...' and it made me think of tonight. Oh what a night it was..." and on from there - relating the Saturday of Easter to the line from this song. Um... okay... :001_huh:

The next year, DH was again playing, I went along (because dear roommate could only be expect to attend one service in obligation to her roommate after finding that what we thought would be at most a 45 minute service involved chanting of the saints names, full immersion baptism for a couple of people, plus choral pieces, the brass quintet, etc...) and wouldn't you know it: it was the EXACT same sermon. I almost giggled when he started with the "I was listening to the radio..." line.

If anyone else was at RPI in the 90s, you might've heard the same sermon. I wonder how many times he used that one.

well, i just found out last year what "she bop" by cyndi lauper was referencing. i was 38, lol.

i still have no idea what "come on eileen" is about....but in looking at this thread i suspect it's no good. i guess i'll google it.

i love music from the 70's and 80's though. it reminds me of rollerskating & "this next song is for ladies only...." lol.

I love music from the 60's and 70's. I grew up in the 80's so listened to lots of Hair Bands, Heavy Metal and love it all. I never knew Aqualung was so bad. :001_huh: There are so many songs that I just never really thought about what the words really said but one song I never could stand was "Love the one your with". That just seemed like such an awful sentiment to me.

I also still wonder what "wrapped up like a deuce" means. :confused:

I don't know if anyone posted this one yet, but I can remember singing along to this one when I was less than 10 years old:

(And I can still remember to this day feeling naughty for singing the line "and we made love in the sun." But it wasn't until many years later that I realized that wasn't the ONLY risque line in the song)!

I've Never Been To Me

Charlene Duncan

Hey lady, you lady, cursing at your life

You're a discontented mother and a regimented wife

I've no doubt you dream about the things you'll never do

But, I wish someone had talked to me

Like I wanna talk to you.....

Oh, I've been to Georgia and California and anywhere I could run

I took the hand of a preacher man and we made love in the sun

But I ran out of places and friendly faces because I had to be free

I've been to paradise but I've never been to me

Please lady, please lady, don't just walk away

'Cause I have this need to tell you why I'm all alone today

I can see so much of me still living in your eyes

Won't you share a part of a weary heart that has lived million lies....

Oh, I've been to Niece and the Isle of Greece while I've sipped champagne on a yacht

I've moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got

I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things that a woman ain't supposed to see

I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

[spoken]

Hey, you know what paradise is?

It's a lie, a fantasy we create about people and places as we'd like them to be

But you know what truth is?

It's that little baby you're holding, it's that man you fought with this morning

The same one you're going to make love with tonight

That's truth, that's love......

Sometimes I've been to crying for unborn children that might have made me complete

But I took the sweet life, I never knew I'd be bitter from the sweet

I've spent my life exploring the subtle whoring that costs too much to be free

Hey lady......

I've been to paradise, (I've been to paradise)

But I've never been to me

(I've been to Georgia and California, and anywhere I could run)

I've been to paradise, never been to me

(I've been to Neice and the isle of Greece while I've sipped champagne on a yacht)

(I've been to cryin' for unborn children that might have made me complete)

well, i just found out last year what "she bop" by cyndi lauper was referencing. i was 38, lol.

i still have no idea what "come on eileen" is about....but in looking at this thread i suspect it's no good. i guess i'll google it.

i love music from the 70's and 80's though. it reminds me of rollerskating & "this next song is for ladies only...." lol.

One of my friend's turns 40 this year and she's having the party at the skating rink - complete with 80's tunes. I can't wait.

I was thirty and in the car with my then 14 year old niece when I realized what 'Come on Eileen' was about.

Yes, I have *very often* wondered why my stepmother ever allowed us to listen to the songs playing on the radio in the early 1970s. The tunes were often beautiful, but the lyrics were horrible! I had all the songs memorized, but I never really analyzed how bad they were or what kind of culture they were promoting. (Obviously, I didn't have a classical education.)

I'd love to listen to some of my teen faves occasionally just for old-time's sake, but I wouldn't be caught dead playing that filth in front of my kids.

I don't know if anyone posted this one yet, but I can remember singing along to this one when I was less than 10 years old:

(And I can still remember to this day feeling naughty for singing the line "and we made love in the sun." But it wasn't until many years later that I realized that wasn't the ONLY risque line in the song)!

I've Never Been To Me

Charlene Duncan

Hey lady, you lady, cursing at your life

You're a discontented mother and a regimented wife

I've no doubt you dream about the things you'll never do

But, I wish someone had talked to me

Like I wanna talk to you.....

Oh, I've been to Georgia and California and anywhere I could run

I took the hand of a preacher man and we made love in the sun

But I ran out of places and friendly faces because I had to be free

I've been to paradise but I've never been to me

Please lady, please lady, don't just walk away

'Cause I have this need to tell you why I'm all alone today

I can see so much of me still living in your eyes

Won't you share a part of a weary heart that has lived million lies....

Oh, I've been to Niece and the Isle of Greece while I've sipped champagne on a yacht

I've moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got

I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things that a woman ain't supposed to see

I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

[spoken]

Hey, you know what paradise is?

It's a lie, a fantasy we create about people and places as we'd like them to be

But you know what truth is?

It's that little baby you're holding, it's that man you fought with this morning

The same one you're going to make love with tonight

That's truth, that's love......

Sometimes I've been to crying for unborn children that might have made me complete

But I took the sweet life, I never knew I'd be bitter from the sweet

I've spent my life exploring the subtle whoring that costs too much to be free

Hey lady......

I've been to paradise, (I've been to paradise)

But I've never been to me

(I've been to Neice and the isle of Greece while I've sipped champagne on a yacht)

(I've been to cryin' for unborn children that might have made me complete)

OMG! Yes! Yes! Yes!!!! If I didn't know my mother was a miserable housewife when I was a kid, I sure know it now. Her ENTIRE album collection consists of songs about lost loves and "I love you baby but I can't be with you" (this tape was worn out BTW). She LOVED Barry Manilow (, Abba, Donna Summer, Barbara Streisand and Neil Diamond. I'm so glad I didn't understand those songs as a kid.:lol:

Disclaimer: I have not read all of the responses, so I apologize if someone else has already brought this up.

Yes, pop music has racy lyrics, but I wonder how much of this is standard human nature because we are.....human.

Nursery Rhymes and Fairy Tales have some pretty questionable origins, too!

Dh made me a collection of my favorite 80's songs, and I was jamming out in the minivan to Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" when -- suddenly -- after having listened to it all through college -- I realized, for the first time, what it was about.

I immediately turned the volume way down so my innocent little children wouldn't hear and be corrupted.:blushing: