Menu

Memoria Press K

PentecostalMom

We started it this year and just finished Week 6. I am using it as a supplement to Heart of Dakota's LHFHG. I am not using the phonics program (my daughter was too far ahead to start with it, but it looked really good) and only some of the science and social studies. The format is easy to follow and I like what I have used so far. The recitation prompts you to teach your child things you might not necessarily remember to teach them. So far we have covered things like how many letters there are in the alphabet, what the vowels are and their sounds, what the two sizes of letters are, what the two types of letters are, the Pledge of Allegiance, what city/state/country we live in, what letter you add to a word to make it plural, pointing to and naming the 4 directions, the seasons, etc. I had planned to use R&S math anyway, so like having the schedule. I like the Copybook portion as well, and that they learn to proof their writing. My daughter enjoys illustrating the verse.

The memory work hasn't been too bad at all, and I like that they practice public speaking a little. We don't memorize the poems each week. I like having the read-alouds to have picture books to supplement LHFHG with. We check most of them out at the library. My daughter really loves having the music and art each week, which is missing in HOD. My only complaint is that MP hasn't found a way to give you the music on one CD or the art on picture cards. You are on your own to locate it. It makes reviewing it a little hard. I also like having the poetry component each week. The guides for talking about the read-aloud, music, art, and poetry have been really helpful. Another thing that would be helpful with this program is to have a supply list. You have to look ahead and see what you need.

Regarding science and social studies, I find the directions a little general and lacking specifics. They tell you to talk about things like migration or oceanic concepts, but don't give you any info. -- you are required to know about it or look it up yourself. But for Kindergarten I don't mind this as we cover it lightly anyway. Since I am only supplementing with this program, I don't feel like I have to do everything. There is usually a craft to go along with the science and social studies (and it all ties into the read-aloud for the week), and my daughter has liked the crafts so far.

Tanya with MP is very helpful and quick to answer questions on the forum. There have been a few mistakes in the guide and they appreciate all feedback and incorporate it. They even sent me a newer version of the guide for free once it was ready. Overall I really like the program. I'm not sure how I'll combine it with HOD in the upcoming years, but I'd like to keep with it and incorporate their Latin sequence in a few years.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you found the guide to be very "seasonal"? I am planning to begin this combined with Sonlight Core K after the first of the year. Is Memoria Press heavy on the holidays or could I easily work around it? I don't want to be reading loads of books on the pilgrims in February, KWIM?

Thanks again, your response was very enlightening!

Have you found the guide to be very "seasonal"? I am planning to begin this combined with Sonlight Core K after the first of the year. Is Memoria Press heavy on the holidays or could I easily work around it? I don't want to be reading loads of books on the pilgrims in February, KWIM?

Thanks again, your response was very enlightening!

There are a few weeks that are seasonal. I went through the teacher guide before starting it and marked all the weeks that were seasonal so I could work them in accordingly since I started it in the spring, got through week 7, took a break for the summer and then started it back up in the fall.

I have actually tossed the program because my DD started hating school with a passion. I thought it was just me she didn't want to learn from. We even decided to send her to PS this fall because of the stress that was going on between DD and I with school. A couple weeks into the school year I decided to toss MP-K entirely and have her use the stuff I'd used with my DS and she stopped fighting me over ever lesson and actually asks to do her reading now.

I think this program would work really well for a specific type of child. My child is not it. My DS probably would have done well with it because he is very logical, analytical, and just does his work even if it's boring. My DD needs pretty pictures, fun games, doesn't like workbooks, etc. She is my right-brained child. She does not want to learn how to read using a book that requires writing. She wants a book that is just words to read.

As of this week, we've decided to drop the R&S math. It was moving too slowly for my daughter and we were both losing our joy of math. We are also using several other programs, so will just go with those. I had hoped R&S math would be our spine and really liked having the schedule in the guide. But we will continue using the guide for the subjects other than phonics and math. It is still a nice supplement to HODs LHFHG.

I found R&S to be great for teaching her how to write her numbers. There was tons of practice (pretty much the first 10 lessons). Then it moves on to math facts and you do that for months and months it seems. I just felt that for K that was not my goal. She is ready to learn about time, money, place value, more calendar topics, etc. It seemed like it would be forever until we got to any of that. I'm not wanting to drill her in math facts yet, just make sure she understands the basic concepts, and it seemed like it would be tons of drill for awhile. The first 10 lessons were about writing numbers, before/after/between numbers, reading dot cards, and things like putting one duck on a pond and okay, that is one duck. That part was an insult to her because she knows that already. The other stuff was fine. The TM is very good at telling you just what to say and do, although you have to adjust it a little from a classroom setting. The blacklines were very good practice for her. The lessons did feel long. I think probably since we were going half pace with the MP guide, it was dragging out longer than it needed to, but because the lessons were so long, we couldn't do more each week and still get the other programs in.

We are already using RightStart A (which I like), Singapore Earlybird (with HOD's LHFHG activities), and parts of Shiller Math when we find time. Can you tell I'm exploring curricula this year? I figured K is the best year to do that so I can hopefully settle on something soon. I'm thinking of replacing R&S with Saxon 1 just to get more variety in the day than just math facts. I think we will hit money and time faster that way. But I'm still in the midst of major math research and have looked at Abeka, BJU, MUS, MM, MIF, CLE, etc. I basically want to settle on one "American" math as my spine and one "Asian" math as a supplement, unless/until I can get comfortable with only an "Asian" math.

• 3 weeks later...

After much prayer and talking with dh, we have decided to drop SL altogether and go with only MP K in January. We will purchase the literature supplement package, because we love having a literature rich curriculum. I feel like my son was my curriculum "guinea pig" so to speak, and I really, really, really, really, (did I say really?), want a boxed program that will fit all of my needs. With the exception of 3rd, which was our 1st year hsing, I pieced it together for ds's entire journey. Dh and I talked about our goals for our children, reasons for hsing, and what types of curriculum we had used and why, why we had ditched some and liked others. I love SL! However, I really want a classical model that is literature rich. I read a thread last night about MFW, and we looked into that, but I feel it is more CM than classical. One thing I am committed to working in is latin. MP has that. I don't want to make my own lesson plans and figure it out.

Anyway, one more thing I have decided is to stick with it for one year. If we hate it after the 1st year, or if a portion of it is not working, then we can revisit that. If we completely hate it or dd is miserable, then of course we would reconsider, but I don't think that will happen. She likes workbooks and loves reading aloud so I am hoping it will work. She will take piano from dh and we will do Girl Scouts, possibly swimming as I don't want her to lose that skill. One day at a time and I don't want to get overwhelmed.

Now that I feel I have totally hijacked this thread, I will go make lunch and check back with you in December to see how it's going. No one else has responded, either here or on the MP forums. I would love more input!

:bigear: