Menu

What is your go to gift for 5year old girl?

DD was invited to a birthday party of one of her classmates. I know what my dd likes but I don't know what other 5year old girls like. Barbie, my little ponies, polly pocket, squinkies? DD wants to bring a wrapped gift so a gift card won't do. TIA

My children always love gift cards as it always allows them to get something they want of need without ending up with a bunch of things they don't need or want. For instance, Target cards are frequent gifts aound here so if they get a few with $10 each then they can get new clothes or make-up items that they need or want. Starbucks cards are always welcome to because they frequently have to buy their own starbucks if the y want it.

I usually fall back on a cute purse and fill it with little trinkets (plastic bracelets, gift card, wallet w/couple dollars, etc.). Granted, all of the little girls I know are all my nieces, so I usually have some idea of what they like. Oh, and all of my nieces loved the Fancy Nancy books I've sent them. I'm usually the 'boring' aunt - I buy books for all my nieces and nephews. LOL

I always call the parent to get ideas. That way I can customize it to the child/family.

I love it when people call me for ideas. It has helped to avert several well meaning "can she have makeup" gifts. I was able to route them to several gifts that are more to her liking and worked with family rules.

If you don't have a phone number (check for RSVP-even if it isn't the parent they will likely know it) I would go with a generic Littlest Pet Shop, My Little Pony and include a gift receipt (taped to the item so it doesn't get tossed) to a common, local store like Target.

My Little Ponies is my go-to for this age group.

If they are a girlie girl, they will appreciate the brush and hair bows for them, if they are not as girlie girl, they will love them because they are horses. :001_smile:

5 yo is also a perfect age for a box of art supplies. Get a shirt box from the department store and then fill it with glitter glue, construction paper, watercolors, markers, stickers, etc.

Ditto the pp on art/craft supplies and dress up. We find fabulous hats, scarves, shoes etc at Goodwill!

For typical store-bought toys we go with polly pockets or the small Disney princess dolls. We try to avoid these, if we can.

We also like to give audio cds or books, but that is harder unless you know what they have or don't have. We give these with a gift receipt, for sure.

We love the James Herriot Treasury for children and Jim Weiss' audios and often give those.

DD was invited to a birthday party of one of her classmates. I know what my dd likes but I don't know what other 5year old girls like. Barbie, my little ponies, polly pocket, squinkies? DD wants to bring a wrapped gift so a gift card won't do. TIA

I have a 6 year old daughter. We tend to get things like magic wands, or little dress up items.

This is our go to gift for 5 year old girls. Moms have always been very appreciative.

A is for Abigail: An Almanac of Amazing American Women by Lynne Cheney

Excellent book that transitions well from a read aloud to a read alone book.

:iagree: This is my favorite girl gift, too. (Off topic, but I like to give Dr. Cheney's George Washington crossing the Delaware book for Christmas gifts.)

My Little Ponies is my go-to for this age group.

If they are a girlie girl, they will appreciate the brush and hair bows for them, if they are not as girlie girl, they will love them because they are horses. :001_smile:

5 yo is also a perfect age for a box of art supplies. Get a shirt box from the department store and then fill it with glitter glue, construction paper, watercolors, markers, stickers, etc.

:iagree: Yep - My Little Ponies or art supplies if I know the parents are in the no-plastic-toys camp.