Menu

"R" phonogram - pronunciation AAS or PR style

abrightmom

You should never use "ruh" because you are adding a vowel sound. That is NOT the sound the letter "r" makes. Otherwise the word "rake" would be read as

ruh ake. It is wrong.

The letter r does not quite say "er" either, but I think I know what you are meaning. It is more like starting to say the word "ring" but stopping with the "r" sound.

It does matter because it is one letter that makes one sound. The ruh version is wrong.

I never took what Mrs. Beers said to be 'ruh'. She was trying to distinguish the 'r' sound from the 'er' sound. It does not say 'er'. It says just the 'r' sound which I can't write - as the previous poster said it's 'ring' but just the 'r' sound. 'er' is wrong. It's very difficult to say just the r sound cleanly.

HEather

Both my boys got stuck on "r". I taught ds1 to say it by rolling the r. Like a dog would growl, grrrrrrrrr. It's hard to show them the tongue placement. Ds2 is learning it, he drops the r a lot, but this is when ds1 learned it too (he's 3), so...

But you can roll the r in any word, just like teaching a cv blend, like raaaa. Do it rrrrrrag, or brrrrrrroke, etc. If you switch the position of the r in a word, they can't establish a vowel sound after it. Hope that helps.

I never took what Mrs. Beers said to be 'ruh'. She was trying to distinguish the 'r' sound from the 'er' sound. It does not say 'er'. It says just the 'r' sound which I can't write - as the previous poster said it's 'ring' but just the 'r' sound. 'er' is wrong. It's very difficult to say just the r sound cleanly.

HEather

That's funny to me because when I listened to her it stood out! I'm going to have to listen again with different ears :bigear:. I thought saying "ruh" was odd but she seemed adamant about it. I also remember her saying that "er" is wrong.

Drat. I'm going back to listen AGAIN.

You should never use "ruh" because you are adding a vowel sound. That is NOT the sound the letter "r" makes. Otherwise the word "rake" would be read as

ruh ake. It is wrong.

The letter r does not quite say "er" either, but I think I know what you are meaning. It is more like starting to say the word "ring" but stopping with the "r" sound.

It does matter because it is one letter that makes one sound. The ruh version is wrong.

Now this makes PERFECT sense to me . . . .:001_smile: Why didn't I think of that? Thank-you.

I MUST be misunderstanding Mrs. Beers pronunciation because she is an English Queen. She knows her stuff. I suspect it is as Heather has explained and I have misunderstood the different attempts to explain how to pronounce "r". :001_huh:

I'm definitely listening again. In my mind I can HEAR Mrs. Beers say "ruh" . . . really and truly. :001_huh:She made a point of it too which is why I finally decided to ask. It keeps nagging me. :D

Oh well! I'm going to find that on the disk and listen again.

Thanks for your help ladies!

Barbara Beers says that "r" should say "ruh" and she is very specific about this.

In AAS we learned that "r" says "er" - that's how the Phonogram CD dude says it. :D

Does it matter? Is there a reason for the difference? I'd LOVE to know . . .

Truthfully, it doesn't say /er/ or /ruh/, but it's nearly impossible to say /r/ without a vowel sound before or after it. The author of AAS has said that for this letter in particular, they tried 100 different variations, and /er/ was the closest they could get to the actual sound, while still being intelligible on the CD. I think this particular sound is best taught in person.

I always showed my kids with words--we don't say erun for the word run--there's not a vowel sound before it. And we don't say showeruh for shower--there's not a vowel sound after it.

HTH some! Merry :-)

Merry,

Thank-you!! This clears it up and makes sense. I think in both cases the speaker is doing their best to pronounce "r". Your explanation of the difficulty is why I'm hearing the differences (and was confused in thinking there is a disagreement in how to pronounce it). The examples will help me to explain it to the kiddos. :001_smile:

Finally . . . . I get it and I'm not losing my mind or hearing things weird. I simply did not understand the difficulty with this particular phonogram.

:grouphug: Thank-you!!!!

I don't know how it works in AAS but in PR the word shower does not use the 'r' phonogram. 'er' is it's own phonogram that does say /er/. If you look on the back of the 'r' phonogram it says /r/ which is different than /er/. It's just hard to pronounce. But in PR the word shower would be a combination of 3 phonograms 'sh', 'ow' and 'er'.

Heather

I don't know how it works in AAS but in PR the word shower does not use the 'r' phonogram. 'er' is it's own phonogram that does say /er/. If you look on the back of the 'r' phonogram it says /r/ which is different than /er/. It's just hard to pronounce. But in PR the word shower would be a combination of 3 phonograms 'sh', 'ow' and 'er'.

Heather

Yes, that's how you would do it in AAS too. I was just trying to give examples of the letter R with vowels before and after it, and how difficult it is to say the letter without a vowel on one side or the other.