Menu

WWE v. FLL??

Beans

Is it necessary to do both? If not, which encompasses more grammar?

(Feel free to point me to the correct thread if there is one)

The thing is, I'm REALLY behind on my 10dd's writing/grammar skills. She and ds8 are probably on the same level (we've moved 11 times in the past 3 years and have really let things go-- I'm ashamed of myself). Now I need to order one of the texts now with the hope of getting the other in a month or so. I'm on a shoestring budget and have to order from Amazon using e-gift cards and have enough for one. TIA!

I'd start them both in FLL3, get only one student work book and have the older write out her own diagrams and look at the 8yo's pages. It is the grammar book. I don't know if you can do it with out at least a copy of the student pages to look at. But it can be expensive, there are much cheaper grammars. In fact KISS grammar isn't bad and it is free online.

Then I'd buy the WWE hardback The Complete Writer. It is a writing program, not grammar. You can work through the sample weeks until you find the level that is right for each kid then choose your own narrations and dictation/copywork (we do this from SOTW so even though we don't have the workbooks, it still mostly done for us.) But you can also get the gist of it for cheap by getting mp3 of SWB writing lectures downloads. They are normally $4.00, but I thought I saw that they are 1/2 price right now.

Edited by Mallory

So I pulled out my FLL 3 and while it wouldn't be impossible to recreate the student pages, it wouldn't be easy. Especially if you haven't seen them.

I also think writing is more important than grammar, and I would sure worry about it first. If she can't write 2-5 sentance narration of a short chapter or passage she reads then I would do WWE first. Again if money is tight the hardback text is a great book, but you could probably get a WWE 2 workbook and have them use notebook paper (we do this anyway, because the lines are not the right size).

Of course we don't start grammar until about 10 anyway ;). So just because she doesn't know grammar I wouldn't be worried, but if she couldn't write a sentance with the right, age appropriate, mechanics (first capitalized, end punctuation, subject verb agreement)-- then I would be more worried.

I'm thinking WWE as well, as I could use it as a guide to what level FLL she would need, and it's also easy to cover the basics of grammar as she writes. I was considering just the Instructor text and pulling the narration from SOTW (luckily I ordered that during a better cash flow period).

I'd never looked into KISS, but will tonight. Thanks.