Menu

please tell me about colonoscopies

I am iron deficient. I had a visit to the GYN this morning. He did a full workup, including Endometrial Biopsy(OUCH), pap smear, and now I have to go for an internal U/S next week to rule out any cysts, etc.

I also have hemorrhoids. Internal and external. As well as IBS. I see a GI Dr, and they did a sigmoidoscopy in 2007. Because I had rectal bleeding even prior to 2007. (I was getting red blood in the toilet). At the time(I was 39) the GI Dr didn't feel a colonoscopy was warranted due to my age and no family history.

At that time, I did not have Iron deficiency Anemia. As I do now. I have had Iron Deficiency Anemia now since about 2008, I was just *officially* diagnosed a few months ago.

He says another trip to the GI is warranted and to not leave "no stone unturned".

I have an appt in two weeks for my annual appt with the GI. I am obviously going to mention my anemia. If all is clear with the GYN, I am wondering if she is going to send me for a colonoscopy. I still have bright red bleeding every once in a blue moon. Nothing has changed from 3-4 years ago.

So give it to me straight. For those of you who have had a colonoscopy done, I have heard the prep was pretty bad and it tastes gross, and you are on the toilet all day.

But I do not like to be put under general anesthesia. It scares me. I have high blood pressure and that scares me to be put out. And the last time I was put under a general I felt horrible waking up and I vomited.

So what do they give you to "put you out"?

Do they intubate you at all?

How long does the procedure take?

I am now 42(Almost 43), and I do not know if this is what she is going to send me for, but I want to be prepared.

Thanks.

Edited by dancer67

There's no sugar coating that the prep is extremely unpleasant, but it is one of those things that we "must do" from time to time, so I grin and bear it. The procedure itself is easy peasy. They do not put you out (at least not here, although they did in the past) they give you the equivalent of the date rape drug so you don't remember anything. My father has many issues with general anesthesia and he's fine with colonoscopies. They do not intubate you. I'm guessing the procedure takes about 45 minutes, although I've never timed it...you're pretty out of it for a while with the drugs so it's hard to say how long the actual procedure is. Once it was over (for me at least) there were no problems or lasting discomfort.

Drinking the stuff for the prep is the worst part. I was warned beforehand to eat lightly for 24-48 hrs before the prep, and I do think that helped. The prep didn't take me all day--I think I started around 2-3 p.m. and my colonoscopy was scheduled first thing the following morning. I was told to take the prep with Gatorade or Crystal Light (I believe those were my choices). I had never actually had Gatorade before, so my dd told me what her favorite flavor was. Turns out I abhor Gatorade!--which didn't make the prep any easier. I didn't have anything else in the house to use as a substitute, and once I started, I certainly wasn't going to leave the house :tongue_smilie:. I was not intubated as general anesthesia was not used. The dr's policy was to use a heavier sedation for those with fibromyalgia (which I have), and I certainly didn't argue against that. But it was definitely not general anesthesia (IV sedation, I believe is what they called it). I remember nothing of the procedure, woke up just fine, and had no problems after.

Or don't they have the stuff to clean you out in a pill form?

I believe that there is a cleanse available in pill form but it is not recommended for everyone due to the sodium content. I prepped with the ironically named "Golytely" before my colonoscopy. No, it is not pleasant, but the prep is just something that is faced. No big deal--really.

So give it to me straight. For those of you who have had a colonoscopy done, I have heard the prep was pretty bad and it tastes gross, and you are on the toilet all day.

But I do not like to be put under general anesthesia. It scares me. I have high blood pressure and that scares me to be put out. And the last time I was put under a general I felt horrible waking up and I vomited.

So what do they give you to "put you out"?

Do they intubate you at all?

How long does the procedure take?

I am now 42(Almost 43), and I do not know if this is what she is going to send me for, but I want to be prepared.

Thanks.

The prep is done the day before and you drink a huge lot of liquid. It doesn't taste bad at first but I gagged on it near the end. You are supposed to drink it all so I did. They say to begin at 5 pm, but I wouldn't do that unless you want to be on the toilet at midnight. Follow the directions exactly. Don't drink more than they say in an attempt to "get it over with" sooner. Not a good idea. Ask me how I know.:tongue_smilie: It is more palateable cold so mix it the night before and refrigerate it. The procedure itself is nothing to be concerned about. I was given a light IV sedation (no intubation or general). It is a "twilight" sedation. I was mildly aware of what was going on but I didn't care one bit about it. It lasted about 15 mninutes or so and there were no side effects other than some grogginess afterwards. No pain, no issues at all. You will need someone drive you there and home due to the grogginess. I would have the actual procedure every day of the week (well, not really, but you know what I mean...) - the prep is the hard part.

I believe that there is a cleanse available in pill form but it is not recommended for everyone due to the sodium content. I prepped with the ironically named "Golytely" before my colonoscopy. No, it is not pleasant, but the prep is just something that is faced. No big deal--really.

Yes - Golytely, my butt! (Pun intended...)

I was given the choice of having the vitual kind, which I did. Unfortunately, the prep was the same. I don't have any problems with gagging but it was all I could do to get the stuff down:eek: The actual procedure was less then 10 minutes. I wasn't having any problems and this was just a routine screening. With some of the problems you decribed, the vitual may not be an option. Good luck!

The solution is flavored with whatever you want...usually cherry, grape, lemon or orange. It's tastes like HEAVILY salted Kool-aid. It is necessary to do it as a liquid, because you need the fluids running through you to flush out your colon. You will need to drink approximately a gallon of this nasty stuff. 8 ounces every 10 minutes or so should do it. It is vile, but necessary. If I were you, I would not eat solids for 48 hours before your cleanse.....it makes life MUCH easier.

The procedure itself is a piece of cake.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

My prep wasn't too bad. I had to drink one bottle of Magnesium citrate and then drink 14 doses of Miralax over the course of a couple of hours. I mixed my Miralax (which is tasteless) with hot chai and hot chocolate. The only thing the doc said to avoid was anything with red food coloring in it and that was pretty easy to do.

I only stayed by the bathroom for a couple of hours and I was fine. I didn't experience the 'bathroom rush' like people said I should and I was empty for the colonoscopy.

okay. It doesn't sound all that bad except drinking that vile stuff and going to the bathroom alot.

I am not sure if that is what she is going to suggest, but just in case, I wanted to be prepared and not have a freak out if she suggests I have one done.

Oh, one more thing. Can they give you results right away?

There's no sugar coating that the prep is extremely unpleasant, but it is one of those things that we "must do" from time to time, so I grin and bear it. The procedure itself is easy peasy. They do not put you out (at least not here, although they did in the past) they give you the equivalent of the date rape drug so you don't remember anything. My father has many issues with general anesthesia and he's fine with colonoscopies. They do not intubate you. I'm guessing the procedure takes about 45 minutes, although I've never timed it...you're pretty out of it for a while with the drugs so it's hard to say how long the actual procedure is. Once it was over (for me at least) there were no problems or lasting discomfort.

:iagree:

This was my experience exactly and I've had 3 colonoscopies (family history of colon cancer very young).

Assuming all looks good they tell you immediately.:D

Good luck!

Oh boy, so if I get this done and wake up and they tell me that they cannot give me a a clean bill of health, I am going to have a freak out.:confused:

Thanks for the info and that link, and all the tips to prepare.

I see the GI in two weeks so not sure what she is going to recommend at this point.

Nothing has changed in the 5 years I have had rectal bleeding, assuming it is still from my hemorrhoids. But when I had my sigmoid, I wasn't anemic then either.

Dh has had one, he has a family history of Colon Cancer. He drank the miralax stuff. We bought some prepH wipes which helped. He was lightly sedated. Still coherent but really really relaxed. He also had an endoscopy because he has IBS, so he was checked from top to bottom, so to speak :D.

His results were clean, so he got the results right away. I don't think you need to worry if something is sent to pathology. There are many things besides colon cancer that they need to check on.

Good Luck!

I survived. I didn't want to be put under either. I fought it and stayed awake but I could have easily fallen asleep. As soon as I was done I was out. I would say they are doing the probing like 10 minutes tops. I suppose this is longer if they are removing polyps. Don't freak about polyps being sent out. This happens to many people.

I was worried about the IV, so I called and asked for a prescription for Lidocaine or Emla Cream. I put it on before I went in and I did not feel a thing! I had natural childbirth but I don't like needles!

Once you are going to the bathroom with a clear jet stream of colyte you are good to go. I didn't drink the whole thing and I didn't stay on schedule either because it was so gross. I really shouldn't have eaten cheese curds from Culvers the night before my liquid diet day. Really, I wasn't on the toilet that much. I went to bed before I was finished. I just went to the bathroom the next morning. They told me to avoid raw fruit and veggies 2 days before and anything with nuts, seeds for 5 days before. And nothing red so no red Gatoraide.

Keep a hard candy like a non red Lifesavers or a wad of gum in your mouth while you are swallowing the slime and it really helps. Just don't choke on the Lifesaver. Eat light the last day before the liquid diet.

You can do it!!

I really shouldn't have eaten cheese curds from Culvers the night before my liquid diet day.

:lol:

I will remember that....LOL.

And, as far as IV's that does not bother me in the least as long as they do not put it in my hand.

You would think with all of this new technology today, they could come up with something better tasting.

I think dark chocolate would be it. Maybe then, more people would have the tube-up-the-butt test:D