Menu

All you exercising folks out there...

I am working out at home to dvd's... I don'e like to be in gyms and running around public roads, even neighborhoods doesn't work for me, either.

So, I am wondering a few things.

If you are someone who exercising regularly and knows a thing or two...

When you cool down after cardio... and stretch... can you go take a shower right away or should you wait until you cool down all the way? (heart beating rapid still... still hot)

I am trying to not focus too much on results because that ensnares me and then I worry too much about my appearance and not my health...

So, is working out in a solid cardio routine 4 times a week sufficient for heart health? Is there something else I should add in along the way to "round out" what I am doing, or is cardio enough? I do like variety!

Is there a friendly exercise forum to ask "stuff"? Is there a chart for an appropriate hear rate for cardio at 41 years of age and medium build/weight?

Thanks!

You can shower whenever. :) If you've cooled down enough to have finished stretching, your heart rate is not going to be much higher than normal. I would say 4x per week is a GREAT start to cardio health but that really depends on how long you're exercising each time, yk? I only usually get 3 days in but I run 4-5mi (about an hour) each day. Doing this I can eat basically whatever I want (I'm still nursing, too) and still loose weight. I have HORRIBLE will power when it comes to food so I choose to exercise to make up for it. :o Pretty sure it's not the healthiest option but I've told myself it's healthier than eating what I want AND sitting on my duff, so...that's my rationalization! :D

Good luck on your exercising journey! It's awesome that you aren't worrying about weight but are more focused on your health...that is a great place to be and a good way to ENJOY exercising!!! :D

For cardio, I do about 45 minutes 3-4 times a week. Half of that is weights at a fast pace - keeping my heart rate above 130.

You're going to have better results (which will encourage you more....) with cardio if you include weight training. Also - good muscle health and bone strength is every bit as important to your health as cardio.

I am at the low end of normal weight for my height - so I'm not trying to loose weight - this is more a maintenance routine. Although I can eat more and not worry as much about splurging.

To actually loose weight, I'd say 45 minutes, 5 times a week is about right.

I am working out at home to dvd's... I don'e like to be in gyms and running around public roads, even neighborhoods doesn't work for me, either.

So, I am wondering a few things.

If you are someone who exercising regularly and knows a thing or two...

When you cool down after cardio... and stretch... can you go take a shower right away or should you wait until you cool down all the way? (heart beating rapid still... still hot)

I am trying to not focus too much on results because that ensnares me and then I worry too much about my appearance and not my health...

So, is working out in a solid cardio routine 4 times a week sufficient for heart health? Is there something else I should add in along the way to "round out" what I am doing, or is cardio enough? I do like variety!

Is there a friendly exercise forum to ask "stuff"? Is there a chart for an appropriate hear rate for cardio at 41 years of age and medium build/weight?

Thanks!

For heart health, yeah provided it is 45-60 minutes long and you really get it on. I would add weight training and yoga for strength and injury prevention. Warm up, stretch, exercise your brains out, slow down and stretch a lot more. I advise showering when you've stopped sweating. It's not satisfying to be in the shower while you're still perspiring but YMMV.

I strongly encourage some kind of time limited goal like a 5K. Those are easy and if you can do 60 minutes cardio, you can do a 5K. Add a sport. That will accomplish two things. First, it would add the variety you are looking for. Two, it provides the incentive to get better which means you will WANT to eat better, you will WANT to exercise harder, you will WANT to train more.

It's a snowball effect. You start out with grudging acceptance and resignation then eventually blossom to enthusiasm.

ETA: try some of the social groups. There is a running group, there is over 35 weight loss group, and there is beachbody fanatics for extreme people (ahem)

Edited by LG Gone Wild

You shower when you have time. :001_smile: I stretch for a while, then I'm usually too hungry to shower. By that time there are things I need to do with the kids. I then try to shower. There are days I shower right away, because I know I won't have time later. And then there are days the shower doesn't happen until late in the day or evening.

I would say 4 days a week for cardio is good. I would add some strength work the other 2 days, just some basic like core, push-ups, maybe some squats and lunges. Strength helps prevent injury and as we age ;) we need to work on increasing strength.

I forget the heart rate formula. I know the 220-age. That's your max rate, I think. I forget the zones. Maybe you want 80% of max?

I think focusing on your overall health is the way to go. I started running because of health concerns, weight loss was a side benefit.

My cardio workout includes weights... I am using 4 pounders in my hands with the movements... So, does that count as weight training? LOL (laughing at myself... trying to get out of something, am I?)

I am at 30 minutes cardio right now. I started 3 weeks after 3 years of pretty much no exercise. I realized how stiff I always am and I used to be SO flexible. And I have been so slow! Also lacking in energy. I am loving the energy I am getting. I think I am a bit quicker moving around... hmmm

I am working up to 45 minutes right now. Tomorrow my goal is a solid 40 minutes. I'll check my heart rate, too.