Menu

How to prepare for a long-term depression vs an emergency

I think I am prepared for a short term emergency food wise.

But how does one prepare for a long term depression especially when dh lost his full-time job 7 months ago, you have used up your 6 months of emergency savings and you are struggling to pay your bills?

I think we are here at the beginning of a long term depression and I am not prepared to hunker down for years unless dh get a good paying job and we can start to prepare properly. I don't have the money to pay off our debt, I don't have money to buy gold or silver. I would love to do some debt pay-off program, but you have to have enough income coming in to do that. Dh's income has dropped about 75% from last year at this time and he can't find a job to replace the income loss. The jobs he can find won't even pay our bills.

So, what can a person do if you are in a situation like above. I have stored food, but that will only last several months, not 10-15 years. I do have emergency seeds.

What would be the best way to prepare?

I'm really at a loss as what to do?

How does one prepare when in this type of situation?

Would it be better to file for bankruptcy and move in with my parents or dh parents who both have land?

Will multigenerational housing start to be the norm? Both sets of parents own all property and have no debt.

Edited by Tabrett

I

Would it be better to file for bankruptcy and move in with my parents or dh parents who both have land?

Will multigenerational housing start to be the norm? Both sets of parents own all property and have no debt.

Honestly, this came very close to being our reality, and was our plan if things continued to go as they were going at dh's work (we had lost more than 50% of our income as well). Fortunately we were blessed that he found another job, but yes, we would have moved in with parents in the case of a long-term emergency or depression and either sold or rented out our house (since we could no longer afford it). I'm sorry you are having to think about such difficult decisions!

I do see multi-generational living as an option. We've told our kids they are welcome to stay with us as long as they wish providing they contribute financially and abide by certain house rules. I see many adult children staying at or returning home, as well as children taking in or moving in with aging parents in my own family and social circle.

I think I am prepared for a short term emergency food wise.

I've only got about 2 weeks worth of food. I'm not too worried about it. I firmly believe there is only so much a body can do to prepare.

But how does one prepare for a long term depression especially when dh lost his full-time job 7 months ago, you have used up your 6 months of emergency savings and you are struggling to pay your bills?

Seeds?

I think we are here at the beginning of a long term depression and I am not prepared to hunker down for years unless dh get a good paying job and we can start to prepare properly. I don't have the money to pay off our debt, I don't have money to buy gold or silver. I would love to do some debt pay-off program, but you have to have enough income coming in to do that. Dh's income has dropped about 75% from last year at this time and he can't find a job to replace the income loss. The jobs he can find won't even pay our bills.

So, what can a person do if you are in a situation like above. I have stored food, but that will only last several months, not 10-15 years. I do have emergency seeds.

I don't know that anyone can store food for 10-15 years. MREs are good for that lenght of time, but I don't know about anything else.

What would be the best way to prepare?

I really think it would be more of a mental preparation. Preparing the kids for the new reality.

I'm really at a loss as what to do?

Do you know how to can? Do you know how to sew by hand? Do you know how to garden? Seems those would be skills one needs to learn to be self sufficient.

How does one prepare when in this type of situation?

Learn to garden, fish and hunt.

I can't give that kind of advice. You gotta do what is best for you and yours what ever that happens to be.

Possibly.

Doesn't anyone else have the HOA concern? Our yards are the size of postage stamps to begin with, and if we started ripping things up and planting gardens, the HOA would be down our throats so fast. We have a small "hobby" garden that we do use to grow food, but there is no way it could feed us all- there just isn't enough land. A lot of CC & R's would have to change to allow us even a chance to be self-sufficient and I just don't see that happening.

ETA: We do have a CSA, and a local egg & beef supplier, so we can get healthy food at a low cost, we just can't grow it ourselves or have chickens/livestock.

Doesn't anyone else have the HOA concern? Our yards are the size of postage stamps to begin with, and if we started ripping things up and planting gardens, the HOA would be down our throats so fast. We have a small "hobby" garden that we do use to grow food, but there is no way it could feed us all- there just isn't enough land. A lot of CC & R's would have to change to allow us even a chance to be self-sufficient and I just don't see that happening.

ETA: We do have a CSA, and a local egg & beef supplier, so we can get healthy food at a low cost, we just can't grow it ourselves or have chickens/livestock.

We can't garden because we don't have access to the water needed to do so. We are on city water and the bill is already high enough without adding gardening to it. There hasn't been enough steady rain to sustain one.

If we go into a long-term depression, the HOA's won't have any power anymore.;)

We do. I keep hoping that the rules will be relaxed. Large amounts of food can be grown in suburban plots, if you are allowed to do away with the grass.

Have you tried adding vegetables to your front flower beds?

Our HOA still has some empty lots. You can petition the owners to stake out a garden plot for you on one of those lots. Next year I am thinking about doing a community garden either here or at our church. That is if we are still in the area ;)

I don't know how much you really can prepare in situations like this. A lot of it really is mental, getting used real difference between needs and wants, and ceasing all spending that doesn't come under the category of need. I've thought about this kind of scenario.

That means buying no new clothes at all unless what you have is unwearable, no new anything unless it is absolutely essential, cancelling every single subscription to everything, no small luxuries, drying clothes on the line, buying store brand foods, no junk food at all, no eating out at all, no extracurriculars, learning how to make do with what you have, maybe selling things you really don't need, staying at home, going down to one vehicle or no vehicle, thinking of creative uses for what we might have once thrown away.

It also means taking better care of what we already have. Only washing clothes when they are actually dirty, wearing aprons, being more careful with things that can be broken or lost.

If you are already there, maybe it would be a good idea to talk to your family members about your situation and come up with possible scenarios and things you would do, if you had to.

I'm trying to be prepared by being happy with whatever food is put before me (my husband is cooking for us these days), eating all leftovers, simplifying with snacks and food in general, and trying to teach the children to learn to be grateful in the same ways.

Living off the land is not that easy. I'm impressed that people can do it. We had good friends who were really good at all the gardening, animal husbandry, self-sufficient stuff, but they could not do it completely (and I think she bought almost everything at yard sales).

And we have such miserable results with some things in our garden. The tomatoes are fantastic, but there is always mold on the squash, the eggplants don't get nice and healthy, etc. So I think it would take some time to really perfect gardening techniques, like a few years of serious study of soil conditions, common pests, and all that...

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

I've considered this. The mortgage is the tough part. Outside of my brown thumb, I do have a yard and a place with no HOA where I could garden more, and the local town is considering allowing some chickens even.

However, none of that off-sets a mortgage when there is no income coming in. Unless something is done about that, foreclosures will be the norm, and yes, multi-generational isn't so bad, unless you have to live with your mother-in-law. Then it's bad. :tongue_smilie:

I am prepared to move with my parents. My husband could handle that. We've discussed combining a mortgage, even though my dh is still employed. (This time - the last turn he lost his job twice in 2 years.)

There will be a hard adjustment, then the new normal will eventually come out of that. :grouphug: It's the nasties of life people have always had to endure. We've forgotten is all. :sad:

It also means taking better care of what we already have. Only washing clothes when they are actually dirty, wearing aprons, being more careful with things that can be broken or lost.

This reminded me of something I saw in the Chinese countryside...they have removable lower sleeves which they then take off and wash instead of washing the whole shirt.

ETA - that was confusing. They have a lower sleeve which is not part of the shirt (think apron for the arm) which covers the real long sleeve of the shirt. So it has elastic at the end of it and you just pull it on up the arm from the wrist to just below the elbow.

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

Onceuponatime, I remember people living like that back in the 1970s. My aunt, who was divorced and raising two children, washed clothes in cold water and line-dried them to save money. She clipped coupons. She sewed her daughter's clothes, refinished tag-sale antiques, and gratefully accepted every hand-me-down item her friends gave her. She went to graduate school during the summers because she would make more money with a master's degree (she was a teacher). She knew so many ways to save money that it was an education just to be around her. Her home was beautiful because of her hard work and artistic eye, and she made her money-saving activities look like fun hobbies. She won the respect of everyone in her small town by the way she conducted herself and raised her children.

The 1970s were only a recession, not a full-blown depression, but I have no doubt at all that this woman could have faced any situation with a smile. The harder her life became, the harder she worked. She humbled herself in her private life in order to keep up appearances on the outside.

I don't know how much you really can prepare in situations like this. A lot of it really is mental, getting used real difference between needs and wants, and ceasing all spending that doesn't come under the category of need. I've thought about this kind of scenario.

That means buying no new clothes at all unless what you have is unwearable, no new anything unless it is absolutely essential, cancelling every single subscription to everything, no small luxuries, drying clothes on the line, buying store brand foods, no junk food at all, no eating out at all, no extracurriculars, learning how to make do with what you have, maybe selling things you really don't need, staying at home, going down to one vehicle or no vehicle, thinking of creative uses for what we might have once thrown away.

If you are already there, maybe it would be a good idea to talk to your family members about your situation and come up with possible scenarios and things you would do, if you had to.

I agree with a lot of this, but again we actually even have a CC & R that prevents us from line-drying clothes. I have done it several times and no one has reported or fined me yet, but there is always the potential that they could.

I'm also a seamstress, and unfortunately, sewing doesn't save you money anymore other than repairs to existing clothing (and is frequently more expensive than purchasing new). Fabric prices have shot through the roof due to rising energy costs which are used in powering factories that produce the cloth. In the 70s for example, the fabric was cheap and the labor was the expensive part of clothing manufacturing. Now, because of globalization, the reverse is true. Seamstresses in the developing world cost a pittance, and the fabric is the most costly part of a garment, so doing the labor yourself doesn't save much at all.

The world paradigm has changed since the last depression and I'm not sure traditional self-sufficiency skills will be enough this time around. A lot of us in metro areas can't just go back to depression-era techniques. I sure am interested to see what innovations and skills develop!

I do see multi-generational living as an option. We've told our kids they are welcome to stay with us as long as they wish providing they contribute financially and abide by certain house rules. I see many adult children staying at or returning home, as well as children taking in or moving in with aging parents in my own family and social circle.

:iagree: When I was born way back then, my parents and I lived in our grandparents multi-generational and extended family home for a while:) Frankly, I like the idea of multi-generational/extended family homes and this was the norm for quite some time in our country if I am not mistaken. I think it is more sustainable and a good for families (usually) to stick together so to speak.

We might not be able to live off the land, but regardless of circumstance, we have to develop a mindset of doing the best we can with what we have. I'm not there yet. ;)

We can start with spending as little as possible now, when things seem to be as good as they are going to get, so that we'll have more to spend later if necessary.

Clothes can be line-dried indoors, leftovers can be frozen and stretched, more items can be purchased used rather than brand-new.

I'm not worried about learning to sew outfits because resale shops and yardsales all carry plenty of clothing for less than $1.00. It might not be pretty, but if I'm desperate someday down the road, I'll have something to cover myself. And honestly, even if it's stone-washed hammer-pants, it would have to look better than anything *I* could manage to sew up. :D

I'm trying to learn to coupon because I don't have extra money for stocking up on much and this will help me somewhat. I do try to buy at least one extra bag of beans or pasta every week when I shop for groceries. The beans can be sprouted if necessary. I'm investing in one of these, just in case fresh veggies become too expensive for us in the middle of a winter depression: http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Crop-Sprouter--3-Tray/dp/B000N03EK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286907638&sr=8-1

Now here's the tough stuff I've thought about: There's only so much I can do by way of food. Clothing I'm not worried about. But the expensive necessaries such as toilet paper and feminine products....I went ahead and read about how to use flannel to make these if necessary. (Please, Lord, don't let it ever be necessary!) Actually, the feminine products look rather comfortable and the more I've thought about it, the more I think I'll try these soon.

Another thought for me is heating. My heat depends on gas. What if we have no income someday? What if we can't purchase gas? I would like to replace our natural gas fireplace with a real wood-burning stove. The chimney is in place already because it used to use wood before being replaced with an insert. It's something to think about anyway.

I'm not worried about learning to sew outfits because resale shops and yardsales all carry plenty of clothing for less than $1.00. It might not be pretty, but if I'm desperate someday down the road, I'll have something to cover myself. And honestly, even if it's stone-washed hammer-pants, it would have to look better than anything *I* could manage to sew up. :D

:lol::lol::smilielol5:

I have a decent sized lot, but our Civic Association makes it impossible to use it the way I would love to. I have plenty of room for a large food garden in my backyard, but regulations prevent me from protecting it well enough from the wildlife (and we've tried all of the non-fencing "tricks of the trade" with poor results).

We can't have any type of livestock, either.

Honestly, if we were facing a truly desperate situation, I'd break the rules. We have enough hidden property that it would take a while for anyone to notice, anyway. :tongue_smilie:

But the CA is what's holding me back from doing much of anything. I want to move to an appropriate place before investing in things like well pumps and solar (or wind... but we're not allowed to have wind power here, even though the township uses it). We even have high regulations on outdoor fires, so no beautiful brick oven for me!

Fabric prices have shot through the roof due to rising energy costs which are used in powering factories that produce the cloth. In the 70s for example, the fabric was cheap and the labor was the expensive part of clothing manufacturing. Now, because of globalization, the reverse is true. Seamstresses in the developing world cost a pittance, and the fabric is the most costly part of a garment, so doing the labor yourself doesn't save much at all.

The world paradigm has changed since the last depression and I'm not sure traditional self-sufficiency skills will be enough this time around. A lot of us in metro areas can't just go back to depression-era techniques. I sure am interested to see what innovations and skills develop!

Interesting analysis. I'd never thought about that in terms of making it through a depression.

My husband always says, even though the world can't feed itself, it can clothe itself.

Also interesting how things change, and sometimes the reverse is true....Eg 200 years ago, construction materials were expensive (good stone from a quarry had to be taken by horse, oxen or boat to the site and thus quite expensive) and labor was cheap. Now the labor for this domain is expensive (in developed countries) and the materials (relative to before) cheap.

Joan

My hubby and I are really getting into the "urban homestead" path (although we're really semi-rural). It's amazing what you can do with a small plot. The family that has the Path To Freedom homestead lives on a 0.20 lot and gardens from the 0.10 part of it. From this tiny lot, they produce up to 6,000 pounds of fruits, vegetables, berries, and nuts. I believe they are also off the grid. It is a very informative web site.

Another inspiring lady is the one who blogs at sustainableeats.com. She lives in Seattle on 0.20 acre and produces most of her family's food.

It's amazing what you can do with a small amount of land - we know so much more about square-inch gardening these days. Don't give up - it is possible!:grouphug:

My hubby and I are really getting into the "urban homestead" path (although we're really semi-rural). It's amazing what you can do with a small plot. The family that has the Path To Freedom homestead lives on a 0.20 lot and gardens from the 0.10 part of it. From this tiny lot, they produce up to 6,000 pounds of fruits, vegetables, berries, and nuts. I believe they are also off the grid. It is a very informative web site.

Another inspiring lady is the one who blogs at sustainableeats.com. She lives in Seattle on 0.20 acre and produces most of her family's food.

It's amazing what you can do with a small amount of land - we know so much more about square-inch gardening these days. Don't give up - it is possible!:grouphug:

I'm sure it is possible, even laudable. Unfortunately, with this type of gardening our HOA would be sure to slap us with some liens. Our total lot, including house is .10 acres, so we would definitely have to go with the stack gardening I've seen on some blogs, but it would probably just be easier to move than to get our HOA to allow us to rip up the grass and do it.

I'm sure it is possible, even laudable. Unfortunately, with this type of gardening our HOA would be sure to slap us with some liens. Our total lot, including house is .10 acres, so we would definitely have to go with the stack gardening I've seen on some blogs, but it would probably just be easier to move than to get our HOA to allow us to rip up the grass and do it.

Do you have a deck or patio? You could try container gardening. Even growing a small amount reduces the the amount of food you need to buy.

Do you have a deck or patio? You could try container gardening. Even growing a small amount reduces the the amount of food you need to buy.

We do have an HOA-approved, hobby, lanscaped garden that does produce some food. Not enough to get us through a depression, but enough so the kids can say they have grown some of their own veggies :D.

As for Multi-generational housing. I think so, and I think it is a good thing if you have a decent relationship.

If I were in a financial downturn, or my parents or siblings were, I think it makes sense to share living space. We aren't there, but we have always shared resources. My Parents have the largest generator, and the easiest house to keep warm in case of a power outage. One brother has clearing tools, we have an RV that could carry us all if need be, and another has a boat. It doesn't make sense for us to all have those things since we would rely on each other in case of an emergency. We all balance each other pretty well, when it comes to skill sets. My biggest fear though, is my grown sons. One lives a couple of hours away, another a couple of states.

We are building our retirement/dream/last home. We already own the land, and my daughter and her son will live on the front portion in a mobile home. Our house plans are modest, and we are lucky enough that we won't have a mortgage, but we are adding living quarters over the detached garage in case a parent or child needed to live with us. You just never know.