Menu

LLATL blue book? HELP!!

nknapp5

I've just came across this curriculum and it looks fun! It says it helps withphonics, reading, spelling, handwriting, grammar, and thinking skills so what is not to like about this program? I have a 1st grader doing OPGTR, spelling workout, WWE 1, and FLL, and some days seem so boring! Would this program be any better? If I bought the whole LLATL kit I would probably continue the other stuff since we've started it. So my question is if you've used LLATL did you like it? I'm really wanting to buy it, I need a good reason not to, if you have one!

I've just came across this curriculum and it looks fun! It says it helps withphonics, reading, spelling, handwriting, grammar, and thinking skills so what is not to like about this program? I have a 1st grader doing OPGTR, spelling workout, WWE 1, and FLL, and some days seem so boring! Would this program be any better? If I bought the whole LLATL kit I would probably continue the other stuff since we've started it. So my question is if you've used LLATL did you like it? I'm really wanting to buy it, I need a good reason not to, if you have one!

It's been a few years, but we used this to learn to read and we really liked it. Mainly because it wasn't so darn boring. The books corresponded to what was being learned, which I liked, and it had hands on activities that my dd needed. I just thought it was sooooo NOT boring. If your child doesn't like to cut and paste, then they won't like it, but we really loved it. I continued with Red until it sort of clashed with my all-in-one in some areas and discontinued it. I know it gets bad reviews as a whole...the series, but it's very enjoyable and not the run of the mill boring thing day after day. But you can use Blue just to learn to read or even just Blue and Red and you won't be behind at all. But then I don't consider it behind anyway. I'm not a hurry up and learn it...I'm a slow and steady wins the race person.

I'm using LLATL Blue book with my 7yr. old ds and it is fun. I'm using LLATL along side Saxon Phonics. We were already using Saxon Phonics but I wanted to add some spice to our life ;) My little ones are growing way too fast, LLATL is what I was looking for to add some fun. I skip some of the phonics portions because we are using Saxon Phonics. We do read all the little readers together and talk about them. Once the child reads the readers they sequence the story, retell it or can act it out. Same with the read alouds. Those are fun and I like that LLATL helps me flesh out the book some.

We used LLATL Blue and Red and part of Yellow. I taught my 2nd dd to read with Blue in Kindergarten. I had started with Phonics Pathways, which I continued to supplement with. She loved it. There is a lot of cutting and pasting. I did also add Handwriting w/o tears because her handwriting is and was terrible. I'm using Blue with my K-er this year, but I did not get her a student book. I go through the lessons, use my own handwriting program, and skip the workbook stuff. It works fine for us. I am still using Phonics Pathways now and then. All in all, I think it is simple, straightforward and fun. I plan on continuing with Red (with the student book!) when we finish Blue. I'm not sure about using Yellow again. That's where we dropped it with the last two.

I think it's a great program, easy to implement. It's a nice combination of phonics and sight words. I have an incentive program with my current dd using it. For every 5 readers she successfully reads, she gets a treat - trip to the ice cream shop with Mom, etc...

FYI - My older two that used LLATL are above average readers and LOVE to read. The only reason I am skipping on the Blue student book with DD#3 is lack of time. We just can do all the workbook stuff this year I will probably buy it for DD#4.