Menu

I'm getting ready to purchase Latin curr. for *me*, please help!

gandpsmommy

I want to use the summer to lay a foundation in Latin for me, since I have never studied it, before trying to help dd learn Latin. I am thinking about Henle and Lingua Latina. Will they complement each other well? Is one unnecessary? Are there better alternatives? I am planning to buy them this week. Thanks for any recommendations.

And that's how I've taught myself. (Actually we're about to add in the Lingua Latina -- haven't officially started it yet.) I did what you mentioned -- used a summer to get ahead of the kids.

Veritas Press is also offering Latin-in-a-Week courses this summer, going through the Wheelock's text. The link for more information is here.One of these will be an online course.

Those are the two books that I plan to use myself. I'm also planning on having my kids use both of those books once they make it through Latina Christiana I and II.

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest that you read through "Latin by the Dowling Method."

I found the article gave some great advice on how to start studying Latin.

HTH :)

Hi Terri,

We started with PL 4 years ago, and as we moved in LCI, I realized that I needed to be ahead of my boys in Latin. I started my self-education with Henle, but found the text too dry. So I switched to Wheelock's Latin because of all of the additional helps. There's a free on-line study that I just started to go through the book. I did this study a couple of years ago, but never finished. I plan to stay with this group to the end because now my boys will start Wheelock's next year, and I really need to finish the book before they do. Luckily they'll work through this text over 3 years, so I should be able to stay ahead.

I looked at Lingua Latina when I first started teaching Latin. I found it intimidating and overwhelming. Now that we've been doing Latin for 4 years, I'm finally incorporating it into our Latin studies. If you have the chance, I would look at the book before you purchase it. Of course, you may react differently, but I wanted to share my experience.

Finally, I would like to suggest this book as you start your Latin studies: http://www.amazon.com/English-Grammar-Students-Latin-Learning/dp/0934034346/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208632942&sr=8-1

It's small & inexpensive, but I've found it invaluable as I've worked my way through Latin. I didn't start with a strong English foundation to begin with, so I referenced this book a lot, and I still do today.

HTH!

I want to use the summer to lay a foundation in Latin for me, since I have never studied it, before trying to help dd learn Latin. I am thinking about Henle and Lingua Latina. Will they complement each other well? Is one unnecessary? Are there better alternatives? I am planning to buy them this week. Thanks for any recommendations.

There is a Henle Yahoo group for self-educators. It has schedules, and I think that you can even submit your work. It also includes information for scheduling Latina Lingua as well. Just type Henle into the search engine for yahoo groups. Good luck!

I think the Henle/Lingua Latina combination is a good choice, because it gives you solid grammar and practice in reading "Latin as Latin".

I would work through the first two Units of Henle, and then begin reading LL.

Take LL *very* slowly - reading of this text should not be rushed. Read each chapter at least ten times. DON'T try to translate it! Just read it, paying attention to the clues in the margin. Resist the looking up of words in a Latin dictionary. Give your brain a chance to practice the exercise of comprehending a new language. You'll be a amazed at how much your understanding will increase just by repeated readings.

Continue to move through Henle, folding in readings from LL. LL is an excellent text, because it offers *contextual* practice for the grammar of Latin. IMO, this is the best way to learn how Latin grammar functions.