Menu

When does it get easier?

So, we all know that schooling with a 2 year old around is a struggle. At what point would you say it gets easier? Can I assume that next year, when he's 3, we can keep a normal schedule?

Yes, I know- do school during naptime, break it up into smaller chunks throughout the day, provide him with busywork, etc....but the reality is that it's difficult even when you do everything right.

Not to be discouraging but my 3 year old hasn't gotten much easier. She never did nap so that didn't change. She is more attentive to what we are doing and wants to "help" more. She is still likely to want to do the exact same thing as her brother even if it is completely out of her ability level. She still makes a mess of his stuff although it's less likely to be "accidental" and more likely to be deliberate now. Much better. :glare:

I was able to set up some "Tot Trays" for her with activities that she does only during school - lacing cards, tangram puzzles, wipe-off workbooks, etc, which helped some. I do have to rotate it very frequently or she loses interest too quickly. She loves playing with our balance scale and Unifix blocks. She is also very happy with paints, glue and pictures to make collages and stickers. Since she is now old enough to do these independently, that does help some. I printed off some bingo dabber pages and worksheets for her to do but she has very little interest in paper work including coloring (unless it's markers that she can color on herself).

Good luck. Maybe 4 years old will be easier. ;)

I have an 8, a 4.5 and a 2. A crazy no-napping 2. I have no suggestions, just commiseration.

When I asked the HS mom who does our portfolio review (OH requirement) about it she basically said to just get as much done as you can and know that our children are learning a ton of stuff from having a young sibling and that you're not ruining their future.

What about doing stuff at night when baby goes to bed? We do math at night after my small girl goes to bed some nights and other nights we do other things. My big girl has a "second wind" during this time so it really works out for us.

I'd love to, but as the day progresses, my kids brains get mushier.

I must have blocked out the two times we have gone through this because I honestly just do not remember how we managed. Was it really that traumatic? LOL I do know the 2nd time, we got up SUPER early in order to do the majority of schoolwork before the world got up. We found other benefits to that also.

I would not guess that 3 would be easier than 2. Four probably will be in terms of this (though I personally find four to be the worst age generally).

Edited by 2J5M9K

Yeah, much as I hate to discourage you, I've always joked that the "terrible twos" are just practice for having a three year old lol.

At 4 my son got much easier to deal with, more so the further into his fourth year we got. (He's going to be 5 next month and while he still has his moments, it's been WAY easier than having a 2-3 year old, and he'll even do some (not particularly academic) school work now.

That's not to say that every moment of his third year was hard or terrible by any means! But don't expect a miraculous improvement over his behaviors or personality as a two year old once he turns three. (Of course, every child is different, I'm sure)!

I must have blocked out the two times we have gone through this because I honestly just do not remember how we managed. Was it really that traumatic? LOL I do know the 2nd time, we got up SUPER early in order to do the majority of schoolwork before the world got up. We found other benefits to that also.

Yes, it was that traumatic, lol!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love this baby so much and having a two year old is special, but I would just love to be able to get through school without a struggle. He can go ahead and interfere with my housework and I won't complain, but school. We need to do that.

This probably isn't an option, but I put my younger one in preschool in the mornings when he was 2.75-5. I desperately needed focused one-on-one time with my older one who has learning issues.

This is what I have done with my 3yo. She goes two mornings/week and I get a couple of uninterrupted hours with older dd. It's good for both of them and by the end of the couple hours they're missing each other and looking forward to being together again!

When she is at home, I have found that the key is keeping the 3yo right with us. She doesn't want to go play in the playroom 10 feet away, she wants to be with us at the big table. If I set her up with her own activity there, she'll work on something independantly for a little while. Set her up on the floor a few feet away and she's pouting or interrupting in a few minutes.

This probably isn't an option, but I put my younger one in preschool in the mornings when he was 2.75-5. I desperately needed focused one-on-one time with my older one who has learning issues.

:iagree:This has saved my sanity. Although the days that he is home are still incredibly difficult!!

Practice makes perfect! :) Special school toys ONLY for school, a 30 min video, having roomtime (time to play alone w/special toys - lasts 1 hr for my 3yo) - that takes up about 2 hrs for my JUST turned 3yo...the more we do it, the more she gets used to it/learns what is expected of her - I would guess it is the same for your little one (along w/some maturity, of course)...

I have found that the key is keeping the 3yo right with us. She doesn't want to go play in the playroom 10 feet away, she wants to be with us at the big table. If I set her up with her own activity there, she'll work on something independantly for a little while. Set her up on the floor a few feet away and she's pouting or interrupting in a few minutes.

This was what worked best for us, and I started out hsing my eldest (then 12) when I had a 4, a 2 and a newborn. ( :svengo: How did I DO that?!?!? I'm with Pamela H., I just may have blocked some of that out, lol. Just thinking about trying it now makes me break out in a sweat.)

Bonus: My littles grew up in the school routine. By the time they were actually school-age, they'd been doing "school" for years.

As I recall, three was not much easier than two. Sorry. But four was a blast! And looking back, learning happened. My dd got a good education despite all of the challenges I was facing.

:grouphug: Hang in there.

Cat

I don't really have a lot of advice to offer, but I do want to share that I thought three was an amazing age, and much easier than two! By that age, both of my older kids were happy to play independently for decent stretches of time. Just so you know someone that has experienced three as a fabulous, easy age. :) Hang in there, and expect good things!

I have a 3 yo this year and it is a little bit easier because he is now able to play with my 5 yo instead of just grab his toys and dump stuff everywhere. :tongue_smilie:

I take in another 3 yo one day a week to help out another homeschooling mom. I thought this was going to be a day when we don't get a lot done, but actually the two 3 yos play well together and I can get a bit done.

I have a 20 month old and yesterday I was ready to ship him off to work with my husband. Let him see what it's like to try to get work done with that little menace running around. :001_smile:

I think it depends on the kids whether they turn the corner at 3 or 4 (or heaven forbid, later) My dd (now 6) was a holy terror at 3. My current 3yo seems like an angel compared to my youngest. I hope he mellows at 3. That would be so nice. And he just may having another sibling close in age to play with.

I find it easier to do my one-on-one stuff in the morning. If he's particularly distracting we'll take out school books into the play area and he's pretty good about playing by himself as long as he's not alone in the room. Also, I've found a really good position for me is to lay on my belly. He's quite happy to roll all around my back side which I can handle. It does not distract me. If I'm sitting up he'll climb in and out of my lap which means on top of whatever books/papers I'm using and that drives me BONKERS!!

The group stuff I absolutely save til nap-time.

I started out the year doing it the opposite. HORRIBLE!! AWFUL!! What was a I thinking??!!??

When I started hs'ing, dd #2 was 3yo. She was difficult because she wanted to do school so badly. She's always wanted to prove that she's just as fast, just as smart, just as...whatever... as ds #1. So she'd cry at naptime that we shouldn't do school w/out her. She'd cry at naptime if I didn't put her down, because, of all things, she *wanted* to sleep. As wonderful as that sounds, lol, it was hard. If she couldn't keep up, she'd cry. Oy. Lots of tears.

Then dd #3. :svengo: Words cannot describe. Constant SCREAMING, etc. 1yo was unsurvivable. I'm on a 2nd life now. :lol: But I was also very pg w/ #4. And I really think #3 has some kind of sensory issues.

Anyway, not long after she turned 2, I looked up from the school table & realized she was sitting right beside me, silently HAPPILY coloring. Baby started crying, but still--I thought, wow. One. more. year. of the crazies.

A year has passed. Baby just turned 2, #3 is 3. I've never been able to do the 30 min room time, 30 min video, 30 min sch toy rotation successfully for more than a day. It's exhausting & it stresses me out to have to have everything so preplanned, ready, quick. There's no down time, & you start to feel like a 1950s robot wife.

But this yr has been GREAT. I mean, despite the fact that we just moved & everybody's been puking or coughing almost ever since. I've planned schoolwork for the littles. We haven't used it, but it's there if they want to sit w/ us. (Iow, it's not the key.)

I think a) it depends on the child, b) it DOES get better ea yr, but really, you can notice very, very small improvements even from mo to mo or quarter to quarter, c) having 2 is occasionally easier than having 1. As in, when they're not fighting over anything & they decide they *would* like to play w/ ea other. d) Leap Frog videos are awesome, e) don't compare 3yo to 2yo; compare it to 1yo. See how much better *that* looks? :lol:

Really, 3yo ought to be the new 5yo. Responsibilities. Schoolwork. Learn to read or get a job. "Abbies don't work!" she says. So sit here quietly & look at these sparkly unicorn pictures. Okay? ;)

(More later)

I completely agree that 3 is fantastic compared to 1. I always call my 1yos "advanced" in the terrible twos! Mine scream from about 15mo until almost to their 2nd birthday. I really have to lay down the law with them during that time frame but I can honestly say I've never had a 2 year old throw a tantrum! :p (knocking on wood!)

My middle man (3) hasn't napped since he was 11mos so I've ALWAYS had to keep him entertained while schooling. This past summer I participated in a "Preschool Activity in a Bag" swap with 19 other mamas so the littles now have 20 different activities in a bag to choose from, whenever they want to "do school". I also ran a preschool co-op through Oriental Trading and got the littles some fun preschool stuff for fairly cheap: pegs & pegboards, nuts & bolts, pipe connector sets, some little crafts & activities, etc. Stuff they only get to play with during school. ;) I also went a little crazy with the art supplies and we do a craft or art activity almost everyday. Also, look for inspiration on waldorf & Montessori websites for fun activities to keep the occupied. My 2 littles played with water, cups & medicine droppers for almost an hour atthe kichen table tonight, while I cooked dinner!

The MOST important thing I have realized is we MUST keep the TV off during the day. I've implemented a no TV til after dinner rule (*maybe* a 30min curious George or caillou in the afternoon, if I just need a break!) If the tv is on the littles will watch it, then whine. Watch, whine. Watch. Whine. All. Day. If the TV stays off, they play. ALL DAY they will be in one thing & then another but they PLAY. That is all I can ask for!!!!!

Lastly, take school outside as often as possible. Since the weather has been GORGEOUS the last few weeks we have taken FULL advantage. We put up the bouncy house for the littles & sort of entrap them in our patio area where they can ride trikes, play ball, etc--all the while me & ds9 get to work at the patio table...

These are the things that keep us sane!!!! It IS tough with little ones around but it can be done & it CAN BE FUN!!! :D

When I asked the HS mom who does our portfolio review (OH requirement) about it she basically said to just get as much done as you can and know that our children are learning a ton of stuff from having a young sibling and that you're not ruining their future.

LOL! This is pretty much my mantra, too. My little guy is only 1, so I know I have a lot more of craziness ahead of me! But he's toddling and not content to sit still for any length of time. I keep reminding myself that sometimes life IS the lesson, ya know?

I have 3 year old and I think 3 is always much worse. I keep looking forward to age 4. 4 is the age my dc start to calm down.

I think 3 is the transition year from baby to kid. 3's still can't communicate what they are thinking or deal with emotions properly. They are starting to not be seen as a baby anymore. I consider 3 the transition year.:001_huh:

6 more months till 4.....

6 more months till 4.....