Menu

Landscape or portrait transcript?

Landscape or portrait style transcript?  

1. 1. Landscape or portrait style transcript?

• Landscape
    • Portrait

My son's international school transcript is landscape. I just saw one from Academic Records which is also landscape. Mine and my husband's from university are landscape.

The homeschool ones which I have seen before (hardly any) were portrait.

Which did or will you do?

Any observations from nonhomemade transcripts you have seen?

I've given the multiple option for votes though I don't know if that will not confuse the results...I guess if you put as many as you did of each it should be accurate if you did it differently for different children...

Thanks,

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

I think of high school, college and grad school I have one landscape and two portrait, but I don't remember which is which now.

The one I'm drafting as we go is currently portrait, just because we have a lot of courses with nice short titles. I suppose I could do multiple columns if I needed to make it landscape, but I like portrait and single-column....

I've seen a lot of both types, so I don't think it matters. I did my daughter's as landscape because it fit better. That might be because it was easier to pack in both the course title and where she took the course if it was dual enrollment. We put in the course number from the colleges where she took course, only because she was applying to those same colleges, or to ones very nearby who might be inclined to look up the course in the catalog. That put more junk on the line, making landscape a better option so that each line wasn't long and hard to read.

If I had only had to fit in a course title and grade, I might have been more inclined to go with portrait.

Edited by flyingiguana

I did Ds's transcript in portrait. It looks a lot like Pamela H's example above. I experimented with landscape, but it just didn't work nicely for me--I found I needed more vertical space (not horizontal) to fit everything on the page that I wanted. I plan to do dd's in portrait as well. I don't think it makes any difference to colleges, so I would say experiment with both and do whichever suits your needs and comes out looking the best! :)

Pamela, I have to say that your transcript looks a lot nicer than my son's (and we paid an enormous amount of money for it).

But I also want to do what will make it fit in the most over here. And so I don't know how most American high school transcripts look.

So far though, it looks like more of you are doing portrait. I wonder if that would single us out even in an American school since it also sounds like ones issued by formal high schools and colleges are landscape? Ah...portrait style - must be a homeschooler?

So far though, it looks like more of you are doing portrait. I wonder if that would single us out even in an American school since it also sounds like ones issued by formal high schools and colleges are landscape? Ah...portrait style - must be a homeschooler?
I've done the transcripts for my kids in portrait style. I never thought of it, and I'm not sure that Administrators think much about it either. I've never been questioned about it. DS had no problems or questions when he applied to college.....

Joan,

May I ask why you want to "fit in" more rather than being seen as a homeschooler?

Homeschoolers are very well respected as a group when it comes to college admission. Even Stanford University admits a higher percentage of their homeschool applicants than it's general applicants.

I would think more people would be trying to stand out as a homeschooler! LOL

Pamela,

I guess in my last post there are two parts...

Over here - I don't know a single other homeschooler who has homeschooled all the way through high school and gotten into university in Switzerland with an American diploma. So I don't really want ds to "stand out". I have enough trouble with the Jr Hi bureaucrats who won't accept any correspondance school results, even ones from Europe. (There are a very rare few who have studied for the French Baccalaureate and gotten in - but that is a whole other system. There are people who have used special schools the last two years to get the Swiss equivalent called a "maturite" in French.)

Over there (in the US) - it was more a question for fun - about "here's a homeschooler because of the portrait style transcript idea" (Which I do not know for sure at all, just postulating). I don't think I would care for US applications; I just have fun finding patterns.

Joan