Menu

If you were forced to cook from 1 cookbook for the rest of your life, which one? Why?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

If it's The Joy of Cooking, The Better-Homes and Gardens Cookbook or something else widely known, you can mention that and then pick a second. :D

Or maybe we should pick an all-encompassing cookbook and then a favorite niche cookbook.

Oh, do whatever you want. :lol:

What are your favorite cookbooks? The newer the better, because I've been collecting for a while. :tongue_smilie:

My go-to book is "The More-with-Less Cookbook."

A close second is the pair of cookbooks called "Everyday Food" from the show of the same name.

A "niche" cookbook that I adore is "The Vegetarian Epicure," the first volume.

The one I have cobbled together with clipped recipes, hand-copied recipes, and typed or xeroxed recipes. I find ones that work, I stick 'em in my binder, glues to a page in the appropriate section.

Yes. This one. It is a collection of over 25 years of stuff I like.

Along with that one, I choose Betty Crocker's 40th Anniversary Cookbook. My copy is well worn, pages ripped, curled, dog eared, stained, stuck together, and in some cases, completely loose, and the cover isn't even held on anymore; it just gets re-wrapped around it when we are done. It has the most basic way to make things and make them with wonderful flavor, with room to alter and experiment. If anyone wonders how things should be cooked, the go-to answer for everyone in my house is, "Go ask Betty."

But, really, to use only one cookbook would be heart wrenching.

The one I have cobbled together with clipped recipes, hand-copied recipes, and typed or xeroxed recipes. I find ones that work, I stick 'em in my binder, glues to a page in the appropriate section.

For some reason the section for cookies is the largest ;)

Same here (right down to the cookies).

As far as actual books, I agree with yellowperch about How to Cook Everything. It contains even more than it seems to, as nearly every basic recipe is accompanied by several variations.

For my niche cookbook, I'll go with Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I know some baking purists don't like it, but I've made some killer bread with those recipes.

Well, I love my Joy of Cooking and my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, but my favorite of the other, more interesting cookbooks is definitely my Red Lion Inn Cookbook, from the historic inn of the same name in nearby Stockbridge, MA. Stockbridge is an adorable little New England town where Norman Rockwell painted his Saturday Evening Post covers and the Red Lion dominates Main Street. We stayed there on our honeymoon and frequently go back for lunch or dinner on our anniversary.

New England cooking at its best--- I've made so many recipes out of that book (albeit an older edition) that the poor thing is tattered, stained and water-rippled. Though I suppose that's the mark of a great cookbook, right?

The BEST, no-fail pie crust recipe comes from there, as do the most delicious whoopie pies you've ever tasted.

astrid

I guess I'm in the minority because I don't really like Joy of Cooking. I'd go with Cook's Illustrated's The New Best Recipe. I have a bunch of other Cook's Illustrated books (light, make-ahead, 30-min. meals, baking), but that one covers all areas pretty well.

For the longest time my favorite cookbook was the Pillsbury Family Cookbook. I think it is out of print now. I have the hardback yellow edition. My mom has the older ring binder edition.

Now my favorite all purpose cookbook is the Gourmet 2009 edition cookbook.

My favorite vegetarian cookbook (so far) is Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.

My 1989 Better and Homes and Garden cookbook. It's got almost anything in it. I wish i hadn't had it packed in storage for our 9 month temporary unemployed stay on the beach. The recipes on BHG.com are not the same!!

I also took this cookbook to Spain in 1991 - I didn't need anything else - and there was no running to the internet for a recipe look up then!! (Wow - that's mind-boggling it seems like such a short time ago - but so much has changed in those 20 years!!)

I find this whole thread offensive :D...I hate cooking.

I have cook books and occasionally I open them which results in their spines creaking, such is the state of their arthritis due to inactivity.

I suppose, for the sake of political correctness, I must express fondness for a family cookbook dh's dad put together in the early years of our marriage and which contains weird recipes I do not enjoy but elevate dh to a level of euphoria!

Snicker, snicker...Faith

Beyond the Great Wall or one of Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid's other cookbooks. I'd like to have access to some generic recipes too, but I'd not want to waste my one cookbook on standard stuff.

This looks great! Are there any must haves you could recommend?

If I had one cookbook to use, it would have to be Mexico the Beautiful. I mostly cook family recipes, but this book has been consistently successful. Plus it has a great photo of each dish. I have a hard time wanting to cook something if I don't know what it looks like.

http://www.amazon.com/Mexico-Beautiful-Cookbook-Susanna-Palazuelos/dp/000215949X

Well, I was a Silver Palate girl all the way, until I got JOY for the first time this year.

So, JOY, and then, as a second, perhaps Ginette Mathoit's Je Sais Cuisiner (I KNOW HOW TO COOK)

The bible of French home cooking, Je Sais Cuisiner, has sold over 6 million copies since it was first published in 1932. It is a household must-have, and a well-thumbed copy can be found in kitchens throughout France. Its author, Ginette Mathiot, published more than 30 recipe books in her lifetime, and this is her magnum opus. It's now available for the first time in English as I Know How to Cook. With more than 1,400 easy-to-follow recipes for every occasion, it is an authoritative compendium of every classic French dish, from croque monsieur to cassoulet.

It's quickly become my go to besides JOY. Though I find all of Phaidon's cookbooks excellent (VEFA'S KITCHEN is another fave)

I just bought my daughter this Betty Crocker Cookbook for her birthday and we are very pleased with it.

It shows pictures of different kinds of cheese and how to use them, how to cut meats, how to troubleshoot breads, etc.

I was blown away at how much great information was in there. I don't think you'd need another cookbook ever unless you were looking for one that was specialized (like my Moosewood vegetarian cookbook). Even then I prefer to just check them out of the library.

Saving Dinner, no question. I have planned all my weekly dinners based on this for the past 5-6 years. I have used both the cookbook and the online subscription version. I cannot imagine trying to get through the week without it!

:iagree: My copy is almost completely without a binding now.

Wel sadly I'm more likely to look things up on the internet rather than even began to look in a cook book

BUT the one I love for information the most is this book. The author gave it to us when we were going to the misison field. She wrote it like she taught her dds to cook. VEry easy to understand and lots of other useful information in it too.

It is by Ester Shanks, Mennonite coutnry -style Recipes and Kitchen secrets

http://www.amazon.com/Mennonite-Country-Style-Recipes-Kitchen-Secrets/dp/0836136977/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

If it's The Joy of Cooking, The Better-Homes and Gardens Cookbook or something else widely known, you can mention that and then pick a second. :D

Or maybe we should pick an all-encompassing cookbook and then a favorite niche cookbook.

Oh, do whatever you want. :lol:

What are your favorite cookbooks? The newer the better, because I've been collecting for a while. :tongue_smilie:

The Way To Cook, by Julia Child, because it has wonderful "Master Recipes" for every category, which you can then tweak or expand upon to cook just about anything.

For a niche cookbook, I like French Bistro Cooking, by John Varnom. These traditional french recipes are the tastes from my childhood. Mmmmmm.

Well, I have about 50 cookbooks, but there are only a few fav recipes in each one. I'd have to cheat and name my favorite "cookbook" Cooking Light magazine. I end up tearing apart every single issue and putting them all into my recipe box. I make almost every one I tear out and dh and my dc love almost every recipe out of there. I love love love Cooking Light.

Meals Without Meat by Alison and Simon Holst

It is a New Zealand book and whenever I find a 2nd hand copy I pick it up either to replace mine when it gets worn out, or as gifts.

It is the best vegetarian cookbook I have ever used, and it is fantastic for making recipes that meat eaters will also like. Very down to earth recipes.

I have made probably half the recipes from the book...and many are our family favourites. I cannot say that about any other cookbook I own, and I own many, and love many.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
My go-to book is "The More-with-Less Cookbook."

A close second is the pair of cookbooks called "Everyday Food" from the show of the same name.

I've had the first one on my wish list for a long time. I need to get it. I also love the Everyday Food cookbooks. Have one, ogling the other. Love the magazine too! Another one very similar in layout to that one is Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast.

The Joy is my go-to cookbook for everything. If I am looking for a second opinion in the baking department, I look at the King Arthur cookbook. If I want a "whole foods/vegetarian" option, I look at Nikki and David Goldbeck's American Wholefoods Cuisine.

I have King Arthur and need to use it more. I wish-listed the Goldbeck book. It looks great!

But, really, to use only one cookbook would be heart wrenching.

:iagree:Don't worry. This is not the goal of the thread. :lol:

As far as actual books, I agree with yellowperch about How to Cook Everything. It contains even more than it seems to, as nearly every basic recipe is accompanied by several variations.

For my niche cookbook, I'll go with Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I know some baking purists don't like it, but I've made some killer bread with those recipes.

I finally bit the bullet on Bittman's book. I've got the Artisan Bread book but I think I'm seriously inept because I've tried several times and failed. I will pull it down again tomorrow.

I'd go with Cook's Illustrated's The New Best Recipe.

How did I forget I own this? Time to rearrange the cookbook shelf. :D

If I had one cookbook to use, it would have to be Mexico the Beautiful. I mostly cook family recipes, but this book has been consistently successful. Plus it has a great photo of each dish. I have a hard time wanting to cook something if I don't know what it looks like.

I completely agree about wanting a picture for each recipe. I also used to have about 6 of this "Beautiful" series. I can't believe I got rid of them. What was I thinking?

Nourishing Traditions is my first choice.

I hear this mentioned a lot by the same people who like More with Less. My list is growing longer...

The Way To Cook, by Julia Child, because it has wonderful "Master Recipes" for every category, which you can then tweak or expand upon to cook just about anything.

I definitely need this. I really want her French cooking set too, maybe when the kids are grown and I can really devote myself to it.

:iagree:This is my favorite also.

I have a giant binder with clipped recipes from years of subscriptions to Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Cooking Light, Cooks Illustrated, and Everyday Food. Before I had kids, maintaining this binder and trying new things often was my main hobby. I'm trying to get back to hobby cooking. There is nothing like that feeling of putting on some good music, being alone in the kitchen and cooking something that brightens and soothes the soul.

Well, I was a Silver Palate girl all the way, until I got JOY for the first time this year.

So, JOY, and then, as a second, perhaps Ginette Mathoit's Je Sais Cuisiner (I KNOW HOW TO COOK)

It's quickly become my go to besides JOY. Though I find all of Phaidon's cookbooks excellent (VEFA'S KITCHEN is another fave)

Thank you! I'm going to order I Know How to Cook for my mom, this book is right up her alley!

Oh this is hard for me - I read cookbooks like I read novels - from start to finish. It amazed my husband the first time he saw me doing this, but it shouldn't have been a surprise because at the time I had over 100 cookbooks. I paired down when we moved.

For basic how-to-do-everything, Joy of Cooking

For whole foods cooking, Nourishing Traditions and/or Eat Fat to Lose Fat

For vegetarian, anything by Molly Katzen/Moosewood, or Rose Elliott

My niche isn't really a cook book, but The Cheese Primer by Steven Jenkins. I actually brought the above books with me in the car when we moved so nothing would happen to them (good thing because our van was in an accident, and most of our things were destroyed, including books)

I'll cast another vote for Nourishing Traditions. I feel like if the apocalypse ever came, that would be the cookbook to go to - since it is all about cooking, eating and storing foods in their most natural state without reliance on current technologies. (Not that the apocalypse is coming, just that I've been reading the Hunger Games trilogy, so it keeps coming back to that in my mind. :lol:)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I'll cast another vote for Nourishing Traditions. I feel like if the apocalypse ever came, that would be the cookbook to go to - since it is all about cooking, eating and storing foods in their most natural state without reliance on current technologies. (Not that the apocalypse is coming, just that I've been reading the Hunger Games trilogy, so it keeps coming back to that in my mind. :lol:)

Well, true to your user name, you have given me food for thought! :lol: