Menu

7th grade science poll

HollyDay

which science for 7th grade science?  

1. 1. which science for 7th grade science?

• Apologia General
    • Rainbow
    • other

Dd is using 7th grade BJU online. She is actually in 8th, but the 7th grade was life science which she had not studied in a while. She did Rainbow Year 1 last year. It was good, but BJU is better, IMO. She has shown the most interest in science I've seen thus far. It's also been good for her to get used to listening to a teacher for an extended period of time, take notes, quizzes, etc.

I chose "other". I think Rainbow if terribly overpriced. I'm not sure about Apologia (as far as price). What we are using for this grade level is probably different than anyone else here. We are just going to be starting Basic Science Mysteries by Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum (PAC); it's recommended for 7th grade.

We have done Apologia and Rainbow here before; however, for my youngest, we are going whichever way the wind sways. Currently we are using the Thames and Kosmos Power House kit, a GEMS unit on Global Warming, and we are reading The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind. Astronomy, geology, oceanography, and a continuation of chemistry are on for the rest of the year with a variety of resources.

but I have a love/hate relationship with it.

I did the physics with my own children last year, and this year I am doing the chemistry section with a group of middle schoolers. I find the "intuitive" approach is irritating to me and several of the children. I hate the "cutesy" chapter title names. I feel like the are hiding the ball some of the time, and I want more information and less fluff.

But, I like the approach of teaching physics then chemistry and then biology. I like the labs. The kids actually seem to enjoy the chemistry.

Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Science 1 for 7th. (And 2 for 8th).

This is new for us this year. We started about 8 weeks ago. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. So much. Perfection for us. Definitely worth considering.

(ETA: We are also using Story of Science with Quest Guides. . . Did Aristotle in 5th / 7th. Are doing Newton this year for 6th / 8th. Will do Einstein next year for 7th / 9th.)

but I have a love/hate relationship with it.

I did the physics with my own children last year, and this year I am doing the chemistry section with a group of middle schoolers. I find the "intuitive" approach is irritating to me and several of the children. I hate the "cutesy" chapter title names. I feel like the are hiding the ball some of the time, and I want more information and less fluff.

But, I like the approach of teaching physics then chemistry and then biology. I like the labs. The kids actually seem to enjoy the chemistry.

I am glad you wrote this. We started with Noeo Chemistry III last year, but I felt like there wasn't enough explanation to go with the chemistry, so I ordered Rainbow. We liked the physics portion, but felt like the chemistry was again lacking. After Noeo and Rainbow, I was wishing I could talk Swimmer Dude into using Apologia, not because I support Dr. Wile's religious beliefs, but found that my older son experienced two good, solid years of science with Apologia. We'll pick up the biology in Rainbow after we finish our chemistry with yet another resource.

Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Science 1 for 7th. (And 2 for 8th).

This is new for us this year. We started about 8 weeks ago. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. So much. Perfection for us. Definitely worth considering.

(ETA: We are also using Story of Science with Quest Guides. . . Did Aristotle in 5th / 7th. Are doing Newton this year for 6th / 8th. Will do Einstein next year for 7th / 9th.)

Galore Park looks interesting. I am looking at their UK site. Where did you purchase this from and how much does it cost?? Also...is it just one book or several books (like text book, workbook, teachers guide, etc) for each level?

We are using Oak Meadow this year for science along with Joy Hakims The History of Science-Aristotle Leads the Way.

I'll be using Oak Meadow too. We're only in 5th grade now but we love it (and my daughter especially loves their science).

I have Oak Meadow K through Oak Meadow 8 so I'm committed to it for at least that long (my daughter's used 4th and is now on 5th, and my son is now on K).

Galore Park looks interesting. I am looking at their UK site. Where did you purchase this from and how much does it cost?? Also...is it just one book or several books (like text book, workbook, teachers guide, etc) for each level?

You can buy GP from bookdepository.co.uk with free shipping to the US. Alternatively, Ray at horriblebooks.com orders GP books in batches and has them shipped to the US.

7th Grade is year 8 in UK terms, so you could use either So You Really Want to Learn Science books 1 or 2, depending on your pupil's background. Check out the samples on the website to get an idea. You will want the text book and the answer book. There's also a teacher's resource, which is expensive - a school would normally just buy one copy for the whole school's use. I haven't seen it, but usually with Galore Park curricula you can do without the teacher's resource.

Best wishes

Laura