Menu

Tips for painting white bathroom cabinets?

The white cabinets in my bathroom look terrible. The white shiny part has chipped away in many places showing light colored cheap looking wood. What on earth do I do with these things? I wanted to just toss them out and buy new oak cabinets but we really can't afford that anytime soon. Should I sand, primer, and paint? What type of paint? I've painted walls in our home but I've never painted cabinets or furniture. Help!

Are the cabinets laminated over particle board? If so, you can peel off the laminate, sand and prime the particle board, then paint with good quality kitchen paint and have great looking cabinet that no longer look "cheap". We did this with our cheap kitchen cabinets, and they looks great now.

HTH!

I painted some kitchen cabinets and the "expert" at the paint store recommended oil based paint for cabinets. He said it dries to a much harder finish and, therefore, lasts longer, is more washable, etc. I would think it would be even more important in the bathroom.

It did take forever to dry, much longer than the can said, because of the humidity when we painted them. Next time, I won't paint in July!

I second the oil-based paint choice for cabinetry. It will hold up better in the long run than latex. However, if you're not going to have these cabinets for a long time--in other words, painting them is a short-term, stop-gap measure--I'd use a semi-or high-gloss latex and just get it done.

If you're not planning to remove all the paint, I'd also recommend sanding to rough up the surface and also to blend in the spots where it's chipped. Those areas will show up after being painted if they're not sanded down.

Good luck!