Menu

Embarrassed to ask-what is the difference between reports, essays, etc?

HappyGrace

We are working on mastering solid paragraph structure (5th grade), and then this year we'll move on to one paragraph nonfiction reports. (We're also working on outlining now.)

Then after that I lose my bearings. What is the difference between three paragraph reports, five paragraph reports, essays, and then all the types of writing (persuasive, narrative, compare/contrast, etc.) Can someone tell me in an idiot-proof way how all this stacks up? What they all are and in what order you teach them?

I'm getting confused looking at different writing programs-do they write a thesis for every report or just an essay? Is it only reports that have an introductory paragraph? And which kind-three paragraph or five paragraph-do they all get intro and conclusion paragraphs? This is the kind of thing that has me boggled. Feel free to offer me a resource I can get to figure this all out, if you don't have time to explain it! I guess I need kind of an overview of standard writing progression.

(PS I know someone will tell me to get SWB's mp3's :), which I'm doing this week when they're on sale. But I also want to do some of this other type of writing-my dc need to be up to par with it earlier than she says due to co-op classes, etc.)

I recommend The Lively Art of Writing for a great definition of what an essay is and for a great concise instruction in of essay writing.

Basically, an essay is a piece of writing in which the writer defends a personal opinion. It must have a thesis (your opinion on something) can be argued (so it can not be something that is a proven fact, or something that is so far out there nobody would debate it anyway). Then you find arguments and defend your thesis- you persuade the reader that you are right - hence the term persuasive. The 5 paragraph essay is a crutch - depending on your thesis you may need more paragraphs because you have more supporting arguments. In real life, essays can have any length.

A report is fact based and does not need to have a thesis because you are not defending an opinion, but merely presenting information.

Again, in real life there are mixed forms where a research report leads to a discussion of the findings which then has more essay character if the findings lend themselves to conflicting interpretations.

A narration is just that: you narrate something - a story, an event that happened to you, the contents of a book.

I think any writing needs to have an introductory paragraph and a conclusion - as a courtesy to the reader.

I recommend The Lively Art of Writing for a great definition of what an essay is and for a great concise instruction in of essay writing.

Basically, an essay is a piece of writing in which the writer defends a personal opinion. It must have a thesis (your opinion on something) can be argued (so it can not be something that is a proven fact, or something that is so far out there nobody would debate it anyway). Then you find arguments and defend your thesis- you persuade the reader that you are right - hence the term persuasive. The 5 paragraph essay is a crutch - depending on your thesis you may need more paragraphs because you have more supporting arguments. In real life, essays can have any length.

A report is fact based and does not need to have a thesis because you are not defending an opinion, but merely presenting information.

Again, in real life there are mixed forms where a research report leads to a discussion of the findings which then has more essay character if the findings lend themselves to conflicting interpretations.

A narration is just that: you narrate something - a story, an event that happened to you, the contents of a book.

I think any writing needs to have an introductory paragraph and a conclusion - as a courtesy to the reader.

Excellent summation.

We are working on mastering solid paragraph structure (5th grade), and then this year we'll move on to one paragraph nonfiction reports. (We're also working on outlining now.)

Then after that I lose my bearings. What is the difference between three paragraph reports, five paragraph reports, essays, and then all the types of writing (persuasive, narrative, compare/contrast, etc.) Can someone tell me in an idiot-proof way how all this stacks up? What they all are and in what order you teach them?

I'm getting confused looking at different writing programs-do they write a thesis for every report or just an essay? Is it only reports that have an introductory paragraph? And which kind-three paragraph or five paragraph-do they all get intro and conclusion paragraphs? This is the kind of thing that has me boggled. Feel free to offer me a resource I can get to figure this all out, if you don't have time to explain it! I guess I need kind of an overview of standard writing progression.

(PS I know someone will tell me to get SWB's mp3's :), which I'm doing this week when they're on sale. But I also want to do some of this other type of writing-my dc need to be up to par with it earlier than she says due to co-op classes, etc.)

Just so you know, I am right there with you!:tongue_smilie:

TSo do children go through a general progression of all this writing?

I do not know whether there are general rules. I believe the essay is the hardest form for a child to master - whereas reports and narrations are comparatively easy (of course for high school, one has to learn proper citation, but, again, that is not a hard thing to comprehend, one just has to look up the correct way of doing it in a reference book.)

IMO there is too much emphasis on the standard 5 paragraph persuasive essay in writing instruction and too little on other forms. I never had to write an essay in all my adult life; most of the writing I had to do was expository (that means writing with the intent to inform, clarify and instruct).

This is my personal opinion only. I am neither an English teacher nor a native speaker of English.