Menu

American History--need help for 1st/3rd to go with Sonligh 3+4 for 6th grader

eljomom

I am doing core 3+4 for my 6th grader (he's more like a 5th-6th grader). I wonder if anyone could recommend anything to complement this for my 1st grader? I am spinning wheels here! Also, my 3rd grader is reading some of the SL Readers, but the spine stuff is way over her head too. Would love some suggestions.

Thanks,

Wendy

I'm doing history in one year this year with my 2nd grade ds. DD is using SL Core 100. I'm using these books. It's going really well thus far.

The Complete Book of United States History

DK's Children's Encyclopedia

Scholastic's 3D Interactive Maps of American History

I'm also using A Beka's 3rd grade history book, a series of biographies, to add in a Christian perspective. I am sending out emails to several ladies from this board. I just send a list of resources (books, crafts, websites, etc.) I find for each topic of study. I could send them to you as well, if you like. Just pm me with your email address.

MFW is My Fathers World. WP is Winter Promise. Both companies put out a line of homeschool programs. Adventures is MFW's American history for 2nd and 3rd graders. AS is, I think, American Story, Winter Promises American History.

Googling the company names should get you pretty quickly to either site. I'm on my I phone and have a hard time linking or I'd link for you.

Oh, go on. Buy the while program and only use the history. That's not what I planned, but that's the way it's ended up. :) I didn't like the science OR the Bible OR their spelling recommendation and have replaced those components. There wasn't anything wrong, but they just didn't fit us. We are really enjoying the history, though.

I thought you could buy the spine books, maybe the notebooking pages and plug it in with the Sonlight.

We are doing the same as you, SL 3 & 4, and using Beautiful feet primary with all of the kids combined too. We LOVE BF. It blows away SL IMO. I just ordered someone's Paths of Exploration to add on I think (if it isn't overkill for us) and to check it out bc/ I think we'll do Paths of Settlement next year.

All of my kids especially love the D'Aulaire book choices in BF and the coloring. And we love Stories of the Pilgrims. I can't believe how much we have all learned in 9 weeks. We are also singing the Kathy Troxel States & Capitals song, learning the Preamble, and stuff like that. It has been super!