Menu

Can I do preschool with 2 other kids and a toddler?

I am just not happy with DSs preschool teacher. She is just not the right fit for him and it is $$. We pay $360 per month for 3 hours 5 days per week. A lot of money to spend when I am just not liking the teacher. All the other classes are full. He needs a warm, huggy type teacher. He seeks that. Maybe to offset his moms strong personality?:tongue_smilie:

Anyway she is just not that.

Where do I start to keep him occupied and busy here when I am working with the 1st and 5th grader? Add to that the 2 year old:confused:

I am just not happy with DSs preschool teacher. She is just not the right fit for him and it is $$. We pay $360 per month for 3 hours 5 days per week. A lot of money to spend when I am just not liking the teacher. All the other classes are full. He needs a warm, huggy type teacher. He seeks that. Maybe to offset his moms strong personality?:tongue_smilie:

Anyway she is just not that.

Where do I start to keep him occupied and busy here when I am working with the 1st and 5th grader? Add to that the 2 year old:confused:

With the kind of money you're saving, I'd look into hiring a mother's helper to come in a couple of times a week. The focus could either be on helping you in general, with the house and school, or on working with/occupying the younger kids while you work with the older kids. If you have a nice yard, I'd probably just have her focus on active outdoor play for the littles. In bad weather, it could be reading stories, playdough, puppets, etc.

If her (or his) only focus is engaging the littles in a positive way, the job could be easily be handled by someone quite young. Think about kids in your homeschool circles; any possibilites? Or, older retired people?

At that age, I worry very little about specifics or 'curriculum' and such. As long as they are active and engaged, they are learning: board games, arts and crafts, read alouds, active outdoor play, play dough, rice bowls, water play, etc etc. Limit the screens, provide a variety of materials, and allow some mess, and presto! Instant, excellent preschool.