Menu

Little girl missing/NC (warning for content)

HICKORY, N.C. (AP) -- A hearing-impaired North Carolina girl with a prosthetic leg vanished over the weekend, and her father said Monday it was possible that his wife was involved in the disappearance.

The 10-year-old girl's stepmother, Elisa Baker, was in police custody, charged with about a dozen crimes unrelated to the disappearance of Zahra Clare Baker. The child was reported missing Saturday afternoon in Hickory in western North Carolina.

Zahra's father, Adam Baker, told ABC's "Good Morning America" he hadn't seen his wife much since police were called.

"I just hope I can get my daughter back. I miss her so much," he said, choking up, as he was interviewed alongside the Hickory police chief.

Adam Baker said his wife told him that she last saw Zahra sleeping in her bed about 2:30 a.m. Saturday. A fire was reported in the backyard of the Bakers' home about 5 a.m. He said he was in a big panic after the fire, but didn't check on his daughter...

rest of story

Heartbreaking. Just heartbreaking.