Menu

Kingdoms of Classification - I thought this was standard....

Heather in VA

OK - I'm confused here. I always thought there were 5 kingdoms: Animalia, Plantae, Fungi, Protista, Monera. Now I have two books that we are using for some biology studies. One has 5 kingdoms but they are called Animalia, Plantae, Fungi, Prokaryotae and Protoctista. Then the other book we have has SIX kingdoms called: Animalia, Plantae, Fungi, Protista, Archaebacteria and Eubacteria.

So which is it???

Heather

Wheather you teach 5 or 6 kingdoms or if you teach domains then kingdoms, doesn't matter as much as also passing on the idea that scientists change things when they learn more.

Classification is one part of science that is always changing. We are doing 5 kingdoms, but I do talk about domains (which I think makes lots of sense ;)) and we also talk about how some scientists think the Monerans should be split.

I also think if it is something your kids enjoy, have them read some basic reasons for the change or not, then have them memorize the list that they would pick- I am planning on doing this when we get to our official bacteria study weeks since that seems to be most of the controversy right now :tongue_smilie:

My oldest is taking AP Biology right now and there first assignment was on the 6 Kingdoms - Animalia, Plantae, Fungi, Protista, Archaebacteria and Eubacteria - so it looks like that is the latest information.

It's fun keeping up with all the scientific changes. :tongue_smilie: I still have resources that list Pluto as a planet. Lots of room for discussion.

Actually, sorry to scare you, but there are seven and it's moving to eight. The entire scheme may be dropped, however, as genetic typing has created a new method of classifying.... I don't have time to pull info for you now, but I'll try to get you some links later....

I think for the purposes of elementary age children, it's fine to still teach the 5 kingdoms and tell them that the entire scheme is changing and by the time they are adults, things may be done differently....

My oldest is taking AP Biology right now and there first assignment was on the 6 Kingdoms - Animalia, Plantae, Fungi, Protista, Archaebacteria and Eubacteria - so it looks like that is the latest information.

It's fun keeping up with all the scientific changes. :tongue_smilie: I still have resources that list Pluto as a planet. Lots of room for discussion.

See after I posted this I figured I should check my daughter's AP Biology book. They teach that there are 3 domains and then kingdoms. Very much lots of room for discussion.

Heather

Actually, sorry to scare you, but there are seven and it's moving to eight. The entire scheme may be dropped, however, as genetic typing has created a new method of classifying.... I don't have time to pull info for you now, but I'll try to get you some links later....

I think for the purposes of elementary age children, it's fine to still teach the 5 kingdoms and tell them that the entire scheme is changing and by the time they are adults, things may be done differently....

I haven't found any resources that say 7. Most of the newest stuff seems to either use 6 or use the Domain/Kingdom setup. In fact the Domain setup seems to be the most current.

Heather

I ran into this problem with the oceans too. We did decide to teach 5 oceans.

Oh and praying manits are an order of thier own.

Then there is pluto....

Again what matters is that along with a system that works for the ages and info you are trying to pass on, you also convey that scientists are learning about this world everyday and that means things change.

I even think this is the best part of science to pass on! Some day your child could be the one to clarify _________.

:iagree: They aren't necessarily using more than 5 or 6 kingdoms, but they've subdivided them into 7 or 8. I taught this last year first semester, and it was a pain to find any two resources that agreed.

I do long for those good old days when there were 9 planets, 4 oceans, 5 kingdoms, and everyone used the serial comma.... :D

So THAT'S why I keep seeing 5 oceans! It's been driving me nuts (though not clearly enought to research it!) to see the "Southern Ocean."

Yea the Southern Ocean drives me nuts. That seems much less commonly used than the Domain/Kingdom thing. I am seeing now that only older books even acknowledge Monera as an option while anything reasonably knew says monera is gone and either the Domain/Kingdom system or the 6 Kingdoms are current. But pretty new materials still consider the Southern Ocean thing to be new and/or optional.

And I will go to the grave calling Pluto a planet.

Heather

Sorry, still not back at my main computer yet where I have the info, but here's one thing on seven:

http://www.mycolog.com/CHAP1.htm

And I believe the eighth kingdom being proposed is golden algae or something like that.....

But kingdoms will soon be moot, I think, because there's a new move afoot to change classification to a DNA based system. Some are proposing a 3 Domain system (we're all bacteria now, friends), and some are proposing other schemes.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090126203157.htm

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/T/Taxonomy.html

Adding one more before I have to go work on my beds:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen99/gen99648.htm

I taught a tree of life class a few years ago and added in the three new proposed kingdoms when discussing with my kids. I also talked a little about the new proposals that were coming down the pike due to DNA analysis. I had a mom sitting in who was a professor of biology at Transylvania University here and she was in agreement at that time. I'm not sure how quickly all this is moving but I haven't found much data that indicates anything new other than this is afoot....

As a Marine Biologist, I agree that the important thing to teach kids is that this is how humans view the world and they have to classify things in order to make some sense out of it (it is clearly our nature to categorize, a matter of survival really). And yes it is always changing. And that there are many ways of categorizing the same things differently. Like by shape or color or genetics or body type or whatever. It's also (eventually) important to teach them that mathematicians and scientists develop theories as to why and how things happen. There are always alternate theories. And sometimes later people discover that alternate theories are closer to the truth than widely accepted ones for a variety of reasons. We're just mere humans here trying to make sense out of a vast changing beautiful exciting world. And it's hard to do!

:-)

LOL! Science is ever changing. If it weren't changing, it wouldn't be science....

We've actually added planets now, too, if you count the dwarf planets, which many scientists are counting. The more we learn, the more complex things are - it gets confusinger and confusinger, doesn't it?

Adding universes, adding planets, adding oceans, adding categories of life.... I'm not sure all this fits in with the idea that everything devolves into chaos over time. It seems to me that things get more and more complex.....

No, it's not that they're finding new organisms that they need to add to the classification scheme. They are just finding that some organisms previously lumped together don't really belong together.

As DNA mapping gets completed on organisms, they're finding that some they thought were related just really aren't and vice versa.

Blue-green algae is now blue-green bacteria, Kingdom Chromista has been pulled out, and the beat goes on!

http://plantphys.info/organismal/lechtml/chromista.shtml